Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like the song they did about trains. Trains are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nananananananananana

LEONARD BERNSTEIN

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

tbf rem has been doing their level damndest to be terrible since like 1997

had been

they broke up a few years ago

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

precision posted:

where did you hear the band hates that song? i can't recall them every saying that, though i know they talked about hating "get up".

it's not really a bad song or anything, it's just kind of... well let's just say it was a weird song to put on what is one of their most downtempo and depressing albums outside of that track and "Near Wild Heaven"

"Radio Song" is the real :catstare: of the REM backcatalogue

Stipe agreed with Space Ghost that they hated it. To avoid bad REM just only listen to Document or earlier except for Automatic.

spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.
rapid eye movement

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

hairshirt, sweetness follows, and country feedback are arguably their greatest achievements.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Myron Baloney posted:

Stipe agreed with Space Ghost that they hated it. To avoid bad REM just only listen to Document or earlier except for Automatic.

i don't know man that seems unnecessarily limiting. people are too persnickety, if you ask me

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

There's a 1985 REM show taped in Germany at a place called "Rockpalast" floating around on Youtube. Michael Stipe all punked up with short white hair, getting really aggressive at an audience that probably doesn't understand much of what's going on, the band trying out new material that would end up on Fables. It's a great show, even features a short CCR cover.

REM, everything between Murmur and Out of Time especially, were the soundtrack of my late teens/early 20s and I get hopelessly nostalgic whenever I hear any of those albums playing. Never liked anything they did post-Monster, though, somehow the fire was gone and the band turned into a whiny art-rockers. At least they had the common decency to call it quits before they ran the whole thing completely to the ground, I saw them in 2008 and they could still really play.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I can't find nuthin on the radio.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

Fister Roboto posted:

nananananananananana

LEONARD BERNSTEIN

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

bring some home t' th' missus, he'll give yuh a bag tuh put it in

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Naxuz posted:

There's a 1985 REM show taped in Germany at a place called "Rockpalast" floating around on Youtube. Michael Stipe all punked up with short white hair, getting really aggressive at an audience that probably doesn't understand much of what's going on, the band trying out new material that would end up on Fables. It's a great show, even features a short CCR cover.

There's another one from that tour on YouTube where Stipe appears to be completely tripping balls and everyone is just really high energy.

also Weaver D's really is very good

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was a huge REM fan until new adventures in hi-fi which was a giant piece of poo poo.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ajrosales posted:

hairshirt, sweetness follows, and country feedback are arguably their greatest achievements.

I just listened to these songs and they're pretty boring.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

redreader posted:

I was a huge REM fan until new adventures in hi-fi which was a giant piece of poo poo.

it was worth it for 'be mine'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Bittersweet Me" is a fantastic song :colbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I just listened to these songs and they're pretty boring.

Slow alt-country.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

redshirt posted:

Slow alt-country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zgh0y9vTgY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

redshirt posted: