Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

THS posted:

carrollton.

but yeah. uh.. actually some of my best friends are from plano so i cant really hate against that

I lved in carrolton 97 - 98 but I was hmeschooling whetever grade youre in when your 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I used to think most STEM majors were just terrible at grammar and spelling and poo poo because they didn't study it much

but after seeing how well businesspeople and lib ed majors write/speak, I realized that everyone is retarded. STEM majors just have a bit more of an excuse

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Now figure that probably every day you drive across a bridge that was built/maintained by a STEM guy no better at math than lit majors are at spelling

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hobohemian posted:

Sounds like they would make great humanities majors because most of that poo poo is just bullshitting as hard as you can.

bullshitting is the single most valuable life skill there is

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
well that and budgeting

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well that and budgeting

If you can bullshit about a budget you get to be president.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

are you afraid? afraid of rick perry's firefighting prayers?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I like how the thread has turned into a general purpose school bitching thread because what is there to say about the unschooling idea besides "lol morons"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

i went to a private school through 5th grade. it had a teacher to student ratio of no worse than 1:15 and a couple hours of 1:5 small group lessons per day. starting with 6th grade i went to public school and learned absolutely nothing until i quit highschool at 17 and went to community college instead.

i will send my kids to private school or homeschool them. california public schools, even in wealthy districts, are utter garbage.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Tuxedo Gin posted:

i went to a private school through 5th grade. it had a teacher to student ratio of no worse than 1:15 and a couple hours of 1:5 small group lessons per day. starting with 6th grade i went to public school and learned absolutely nothing until i quit highschool at 17 and went to community college instead.

i will send my kids to private school or homeschool them. california public schools, even in wealthy districts, are utter garbage.
My experience reflects yours except I just flat out wouldn't raise children in the States. I swear to god when that time comes I'm emigrating (no loving idea where though)

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I knew a doctor of education who did a lot of kids programs. He eventually started an unschooling program where people could send their kids to learn w/e from over-educated college peeps.

Turns out he was a pedophile. oops.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Al Cowens posted:

My experience reflects yours except I just flat out wouldn't raise children in the States. I swear to god when that time comes I'm emigrating (no loving idea where though)

Yeah, same here, honestly. My wife is
from a country with a decent education system (and high quality national health care!) so I've insisted we move back there once we start spawning children.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Unschooling is happening by default for a lot of kids in BC right now because the teachers are still on strike from before summer.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I was pulled from public school starting at grade four because I couldn't loving stay out of trouble, and rarely paid any attention in class. Did well for three grades of one on one with my mom. Returned to public school for grade 7, which was sort of fine initially, but turned into a disaster as even the teachers I thought were cool started to get angry at me because I didn't turn in any work. Somehow passed that year, then pulled back home. Did okay for a while, then started to screw around with computers all the fuckin time, didn't even need internet or even a modem. When I was sent to my dad's workplace to be free of distractions, I wrote loving 6502 assembly code on note paper instead of doing my work.

It was suggested that I enroll in some school called Choice 2000, an online school. I did sort of fine there, with their telnet bbs classroom interface. Then I discovered IRC, and all that went in the shitter. I spent my classes paying attention to IRC, and teachers started to notice. I finally got expelled from the program. Probably a coincidence, but after that, they switched to full on video conferencing with every student.

Back in conventional home school, I used up my entire quota of elective credits. With no more easy goof off classes to take, and 1.5 grades worth of mandatory credits left to take, and my 18th birthday right around the corner, I dropped out, waited for my birthday, then took the GED.

Fun fact: Even though I was more than prepared, and aced it, they made me pay to take a pre-test first.

So, yeah, the 5% that are crazy?

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
I went to an F school in Florida that somehow had one of the top 10 Model UN programs in the country and top 25 in the world.

I was also hella lucky in that the school has really passionate AP and honors teachers.

But lack of funding gutted all that and I think the MUN program is long gone :smith:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

kode54 posted:

I was pulled from public school starting at grade four because I couldn't loving stay out of trouble, and rarely paid any attention in class. Did well for three grades of one on one with my mom. Returned to public school for grade 7, which was sort of fine initially, but turned into a disaster as even the teachers I thought were cool started to get angry at me because I didn't turn in any work. Somehow passed that year, then pulled back home. Did okay for a while, then started to screw around with computers all the fuckin time, didn't even need internet or even a modem. When I was sent to my dad's workplace to be free of distractions, I wrote loving 6502 assembly code on note paper instead of doing my work.

It was suggested that I enroll in some school called Choice 2000, an online school. I did sort of fine there, with their telnet bbs classroom interface. Then I discovered IRC, and all that went in the shitter. I spent my classes paying attention to IRC, and teachers started to notice. I finally got expelled from the program. Probably a coincidence, but after that, they switched to full on video conferencing with every student.

Back in conventional home school, I used up my entire quota of elective credits. With no more easy goof off classes to take, and 1.5 grades worth of mandatory credits left to take, and my 18th birthday right around the corner, I dropped out, waited for my birthday, then took the GED.

Fun fact: Even though I was more than prepared, and aced it, they made me pay to take a pre-test first.

So, yeah, the 5% that are crazy?

I want to know more about your education. What happens next?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Those uncool teachers hating me for not ever doing anything in class.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
Not reading this thread but wasn't there an Ask/Tell thread one time where a fairly successful, average middle-class white goon had been unschooled and everyone posting had a collective meltdown because unschooling was just so retarded in principle and there's no way it could produce a functional human being. LOL

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I enjoyed public school.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?
imma just leave this here

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Ork of Fiction posted:

I knew a doctor of education who did a lot of kids programs. He eventually started an unschooling program where people could send their kids to learn w/e from over-educated college peeps.

Turns out he was a pedophile. oops.

lol pwnt

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
learning? no, we suck and gently caress all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LOL if you have kids and earn less than $200,000 a year.

• Locked thread