Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
...you tend to think in your own language?

like, in your head you say "hrm, what should I have for breakfast, cheesy poofs or twinkies?" or "should I go poop? I really gotta poop but I don't want to gently caress up this raid. Hmmm... there's a sock on the floor next to me..."

Of course most things you do are automatic, like while walking you don't say in your head "okay right foot forward, then left foot, then right foot, then right food, then gently caress i fell over"

but for decision stuff you do internally speak it.

So what do animals do? Like, when they decide if they want to eat or which direction to go, do they have their own little internal monologue? What 'language' do they speak to themselves in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Im atheist and gay, can i come into heaven anyway?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
WHat were you thinking when you decided to make this thread OP

seriously wtf were you thinking

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
no i don't

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
i;m gay

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i think in fixed width text too OP

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

the only time language comes into my thinking at all is if im thinking about something i need to say or write. animals cant read or write so i doubt its very complicated for them.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Jesus Christ posted:

like, in your head you say "hrm, what should I have for breakfast, cheesy poofs or twinkies?" or "should I go poop? I really gotta poop but I don't want to gently caress up this raid. Hmmm... there's a sock on the floor next to me..."

Of course most things you do are automatic, like while walking you don't say in your head "okay right foot forward, then left foot, then right foot, then right food, then gently caress i fell over"

So what do animals do? Like, when they decide if they want to eat or which direction to go, do they have their own little internal monologue? What 'language' do they speak to themselves in?

That is either non existent or currently beyond our comprehension.

Since most animals do not have a language it is my assumption that they think in instinctual abstracts, images, and sensory recollections.

Humans are command line in thought based upon languages. So I am always curious to ask some of my multilingual friends what language they think in.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

i cant say the word "drawer" without loving it up

it's "drawer" in my head but "drauuuuurrrrr" when i speak

whats up with that jesus christ?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

MOOBS! posted:

Droor

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
There are deaf people who get those fancy hearing implants. Ask them after they learned "real" talking.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Some people are apparently too mentally deficient to think in language, they claim they only think in feelings, senses, etc. That's probably how animals think too

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Bolian Blues posted:

some most people are apparently too mentally deficient to think in language, they claim they only think in feelings, senses, etc. That's probably how animals think too

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Bird talk, which sounds like Chinese. Ping Pong Wing Wang.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.

Bolian Blues posted:

Some people are apparently too mentally deficient to think in language, they claim they only think in feelings, senses, etc. That's probably how animals think too

Binary thought, in a zero sum universe.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
the same thing humans thought in before there was language durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've actually thought about this before and I really don't think we think in words as often as you might feel you do.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
I don't think in words op.

I just do.

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keK-KiFGf2U

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

op are you able to read words out of a book without moving your lips?

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

op are you able to read words out of a book without moving your lips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DyiZLvjSlA&t=1241s

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I think in farts.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you walk thanks to a automatic circuit that goes from your legs to your spine and back without consulting your brain unless you wanna stop it. hth

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW
Probably in the same way Helen Keller did it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
You know when youre thinking. drat, that slave girl has a nice butt. I wanna bang that butt. Butt touching.

Is it ok ? Is it rape if it owned by u

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

esperanto

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

MOOBS! posted:

Where do you continue to find those moob pics for your av...

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

a hole-y ghost posted:

esperanto

ape stoner
eat person
roast peen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010