Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

i want to apologize for my earlier post. it was nine-gear crow that game genied dash rendar into a terrible jrpg. i've already shared my gimmick! i'm such a sell-out :negative:

It's okay! I forgive you. I try not to judge others too harshly. We all want the same things in the end.

In other news:

Episode 6 is here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014
Tonight, on a very special episode of Earthbound, we challenge the happy happy cult and have a stern word with Mr. Carpainter. We're officially introduced tohe Mani Mani statue. What secrets could it hold?

Episode 7 - Take Out The Blue

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014
It would appear, due to the lack of hateful replies, that we've finally reached that desirable level of mediocrity. Nothing left to hate. Perhaps now we can begin the healing process and learn to love?

In the latest episode Frozen Face expresses some concern for the game as we secure the second sanctuary and head back to Twoson. We're going to a concert!

Episode 8 - The Mondo Mole/Back to Twoson

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Alright bud, you seem to have a can do attitude and won't take no for an answer, and frankly I have never seen such a failure of an LP on these forums, usually Youtube dumps crash and burn in a spectacular blaze of glory, but your persistence has turned it into an uncomfortable silent presence. Like sitting next to a weird guy on the bus. So, I'm gonna go ahead and drop an effort post pity reply to this LP.

You want to make LPs and have more than tens of people watch them, so you joined Something Awful. I get that, welcome! You're only exposure to LPs beforehand was probably Youtube LP superstars that have all the bells and whistles for their videos like intros and... whatever else the kids are doing these days I don't actually know. It's easy to see why you would want to emulate that. Unfortunately, using these gimmicks on SA will only piss people off! Yes everyone was probably being more rude/sarcastic about it than they needed to be on the first couple pages of the thread (that is the goon way), but they also weren't wrong, you have made some SERIOUS mistakes!

First of all, the main difference between SA LPs and Youtube LPs is that SA LPs are generally about showing the game off, and Youtube LPs are generally about showing the LPer off. And now what needs to be fixed!

- The intro is incredibly jarring is gives off a godawful first impression. It's too long, and the jingle is really loud and obtrusive. It really makes it seem like you are dead set on parleying this Something Awful LP endeavor into hundreds of thousands of youtube LP dollars. If you GOTTA have an intro, it needs to be 2 seconds long, and the sound should be more like an ambient hum, like the potion is a mysterious light bulb or some poo poo. Use these guys as a template. Also that watermark and border are atrocious as well. It that what is supposed to set you apart from other LPers? Your awesome border? These are just more things that take away from the game itself.

- You REALLY messed up deciding to do an SNES JRPG as your first LP on the forums. Everyone else is not exaggerating when they say that this is literally the worst kind of LP you can do. They are not visually appealing or interesting, and they just move too slow. Worse still, EarthBound is one of the slowest and least visually appealing of the group. It is literally the worst of the worst choice for a VLP. There have been successful video JRPG LPs done here before, but they were all either post commentary with heavy editing for battles or backtracking; or they were done by a group of LPers that already had a good following here and people already liked (and I don't even think any of these have been SNES JRPGs). I noticed that you were also doing Super Metroid on your channel, that would have been a much better choice for an intro LP.

- Chill out! Your commentary is forced and also mostly a buzz kill. You don't sound like you are enjoying yourself at all. This is maybe because there's not much to talk about because to chose a retarded game to LP, but I don't know. I could only stand to listen to like 4 minutes total of the entire LP, but being irreverent about one of the most beloved games on the internet won't make you many friends. It's like clubbing a child. There are plenty of games out there you can take this approach to, but I would say EarthBound isn't one. Did you really have to name Paula 'Bitch', man? Come on. If you make another LP I would suggest choosing a game you both like and more importantly, are familiar with. Making fun of good games is fine and even welcomed, as long as it's actually funny.

- Lurk more. Visit other areas of the forum as well maybe (not uh, gbs, byob, or fyad.. those are way too meta right now).

Alright that's all I got. Good luck and keep on the look out for bad guys.

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 25, 2014

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Baseborn posted:

It would appear, due to the lack of hateful replies, that we've finally reached that desirable level of mediocrity. Nothing left to hate. Perhaps now we can begin the healing process and learn to love?

In the latest episode Frozen Face expresses some concern for the game as we secure the second sanctuary and head back to Twoson. We're going to a concert!

It's still bad I just gave up watching the train wreck after number 4 because I got bored making GBS threads up the thread and fighting with that idiot who lacks reading comprehension.

Keep on doing your thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's pretty much the blessed state of no one gives a gently caress anymore. Kudos to whoever managed to go through four episodes of this, I gave up after two.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
What would an Earthbound LP be without some fan art for the thread?

:coolfish:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Fat and Useless posted:

It's still bad I just gave up watching the train wreck after number 4 because I got bored making GBS threads up the thread and fighting with that idiot who lacks reading comprehension.

Keep on doing your thing.

hi honey

Baseborn posted:

Honestly if you're having fun then keep on keepin' on but if you're looking for watchers you should think about contacting an LP SuperStar to Guest Commentate in your thread for instant longevity and popularity.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You should VLP Breath of Fire II for an encore. Call it "An exercise in sadomasochism".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd rather see a VLP of 7th Saga, for ultimate pain factor.

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

Fat and Useless posted:

You are, by far, the most pleasant individual I've ever had the opportunity to speak to. You are both a gentleman and a scholar. One could only be so blessed to measure to half your virtue.

bathroomrage posted:

Honestly if you're having fun then keep on keepin' on but if you're looking for watchers you should think about contacting an LP SuperStar to Guest Commentate in your thread for instant longevity and popularity.

We ain't no quitters. We're gonna go for gold, and we won't stop until we find it.

SSNeoman posted:

You should VLP Breath of Fire II for an encore. Call it "An exercise in sadomasochism".

Well it is one of my all-time favorites, but I think 3 would be better. Breath of Fire V would be a real exercise in sadomasochism.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'd rather see a VLP of 7th Saga, for ultimate pain factor.

How about Dragon Warrior 7?

Oh also, new episode: Episode 9: Ghost Town

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Best part of this thread so far. I laughed hard AND learned a new word!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I'm proud to say I haven't watched a single video, the comments in the thread speak for themselves.

But this kind of stuff is why I bookmark threads like this one. Bad LP drama is always enjoyable.

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Best part of this thread so far. I laughed hard AND learned a new word!

Absolutely! It describes the LP Forums here at Newgrounds Something Awful, perfectly!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Baseborn posted:

Absolutely! It describes the LP Forums here at Newgrounds Something Awful, perfectly!

See, this is what makes Art, two people can look at the same image and come away with completely different opinions on what it meant!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Of course, not all of us are as cultured as Judge, with his art school airs.

Some of us just like plain' 'ol Magic Eye.

This one is a puppy, I think!!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 27, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I believe that if the people on Newgrounds were as cynical, hyper-critical and generally jaded as your average goon, humanity would be spared a lot of horror.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

You actually named Paula "bitch"? What are you, twelve?

Don't listen to the polite replies. The rude ones are the correct ones.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gather 'round, children, and let me tell you about the good old days of the Something Awful Let's Play Forum, when terrible, low-effort, low-quality Youtube dump LPs were met with a swift "gas thread, ban OP."

I'd like to be the one person to like this poo poo ironically but considering that this is my favorite game of all time... no dice.

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014
What's that you say? More? You want more?

How about TWO uploads in the same update!

Episode 10 - Rescue The Friends You Never Met

In this episode, we finally get to see our third party member in action, meet a monkey, and take a ride on a prehistoric beast!

Episode 11 - Mini Barf is a Beast

This Barf has Bite! We make our way towards Grapefruit Falls, but are interrupted by the angriest little pile of puke.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Oh I get it now. This is some sort of really meta LP parody.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mazed posted:

You actually named Paula "bitch"? What are you, twelve?

Don't listen to the polite replies. The rude ones are the correct ones.

Wait, did he really? I haven't watched any of this poo poo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bregor posted:

Yeah. I mean c'mon OP, couldn't you have at least gone for Cloud/Tifa/Squall/Sephy?
Have some class ffs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bregor posted:

It's true, and that's part of what turned me off. Misogyny's not the greatest.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Baseborn posted:

I don't believe any of us said that, no.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Just so we're clear, the things we're saying should bother you. You shouldn't like them.

(That said, from my experience listening to the first 5 minutes of the first and last update, you've gone from awful mess to very passable banter on an agonizingly slow game that I don't want to watch a VLP of, which is really tremendous growth!)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Baseborn posted:

You truly are a dense and stupid mother fucker. "Rolling with the punches" is a dumb thing under any circumstances, but especially when you're running an LP that would have been nipped in the bud if Slowbeef were still mod.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Bacter posted:

Just so we're clear, the things we're saying should bother you. You shouldn't like them.

Oh I see so this LP really has a deep meaning to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Baseborn posted:

How about TWO uploads in the same update!

Episode 10 - Rescue The Friends You Never Met

In this episode, we finally get to see our third party member in action, meet a monkey, and take a ride on a prehistoric beast!

Episode 11 - Mini Barf is a Beast

This Barf has Bite! We make our way towards Grapefruit Falls, but are interrupted by the angriest little pile of puke.

your videos suck op, I hope you can take this into advisement and start over by deleting it all

• Locked thread