Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Yes. It was the worst special teams in nfl history. I cried a lot

Hey, the Packers of the last several years have probably rivaled that at least a few times. Remember when a backup offensive lineman ran a kickoff back for 71 yards? Yeahhh :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fenrir posted:

Hey, the Packers of the last several years have probably rivaled that at least a few times. Remember when a backup offensive lineman ran a kickoff back for 71 yards? Yeahhh :suicide:

No man, you don't understand. There's bad and then there's the Chargers ST that year.

Washington last year is the only team that even comes close.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The 2010 special teams unit directly costed the Chargers a couple of games and a playoff berth. Losing Kassim Osgood ruined them.

Nothing Green Bay has done since even vaguely compares.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Tanier's weekly picks are up: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2195684-nfl-week-2-picks-seahawks-secrets-richardson-probes-and-more

quote:

Seahawks at Chargers

Sunday, 4:05 p.m.

Line: Seahawks -5.5

Here are some scouting notes to help understand and cope with the Seahawks defense:

• No one is open. Your wide receivers aren’t open. Your tight ends aren’t open. If someone catches a pass, it’s a one-handed grab along the sideline with a defender breathing through his earhole. The only receivers who are open are the ones waiting for screen passes.

• Throwing a screen pass against the Seahawks defense is like throwing a Chicken McNugget to a school of piranhas.

• There are no “yards after catch” against the Seahawks defense. Physicists use the Bohr Radius (a0) as a handy subatomic unit of distance. A Bohr Radius is the most probable distance between a proton and electron in a hydrogen atom. The Seahawks measure their tackling in a0AC, and Pete Carroll gets snippy if they give up more than five.

• Kam Chancellor is like a strong safety and outside linebacker combined. Earl Thomas is a combination strong safety and free safety, with a little terrible punt returner mixed in. Brandon Mebane can play two tackle techniques at the same time. And Cliff Avril can injure two offensive players on one play without doing anything illegal. Do the math: You are playing 9-against-14.

• Chancellor is one of the NFL’s most underrated players. That is amazing, because he is a two-time Pro Bowler on a championship-winning defense, and everyone knows how awesome he is. He is the first player to be so underrated that he is so overrated that he is underrated. And you thought the Bohr Radius was confusing.

• Richard Sherman has not been mentioned yet, and that just motivates the crazy such-‘n’-such.

• If you are hoping for defensive penalties to save you, bad news: The Seahawks were not called for defensive holding at all during the Preseason of Yellow Sadness, and they were not called for holding or illegal contact at all during their Packers jolly-stomping. (There was one obvious pass interference). You are better off hoping for Marshawn Lynch to start speaking in iambic pentameter.

• Thomas is no longer the punt returner, so you should just punt on first down and hope for a muff. It was a bad idea anyway. Hand off a few times. Show a little pride.

Prediction: Seahawks 29, Chargers 16

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Mike Tanier writing for Bleacher Report just feels so wrong. It's like the time Guy Ritchie made that Madonna movie

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Magicpants posted:

Mike Tanier writing for Bleacher Report just feels so wrong. It's like the time Guy Ritchie made that Madonna movie

That film was much more indicative of his career.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
How many hundreds of yards are the 49ers going to put up on the Bears defense?

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

JGdmn posted:

Like I give a gently caress.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I was watching videos of Tom Brady the other night back in like, 2002 when he was still capable of rolling out of the pocket and making a play out of it. It made me sad. Maybe tearing that ACL spooked him for good. Generally speaking, if Brady and his wonderful line of heavy hulking homies can prevent/avoid the rush, I think that the Patriots have a pretty good shot at busting up the Vikings defense with some mid-range pass action. Then again, Brady has become known as of late for spiking the ball into the ground a few yards short of his receivers, so even with a good 15 seconds in the pocket, it's anyone's guess if a completion can come out of it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

JGdmn posted:

400 all purpose. They'll get up by 20 in the first half and then slow way the gently caress down to choke out the clock.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Bjay9 posted:

Like I give a gently caress.

lol

Touché.

The best I've heard is Marshall OR Jeffery is going to play. I think Holmes may have to grow a few inches for the Bears to have a shot. And they'll have to score over 50 points, of course.

JGdmn fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 14, 2014

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

JGdmn posted:

lol

Touché.

The best I've heard is Marshall OR Jeffery is going to play. I think Holmes may have to grow a few inches for the Bears to have a shot. And they'll have to score over 50 points, of course.

Between the two I think Marshall is more likely to start. I hope they sit both of them though because this is game is a loss even at full strength

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Can I...can I link to my picks or is that spam?

I've finally returned dont wanna get probated already

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jay Cutler and Shea McLellin are going to lead The Chicago Bears to victory in American Football.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Can I...can I link to my picks or is that spam?

I've finally returned dont wanna get probated already

Post em, I'll accept the probation in your stead

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Thanks heterosexual sex-haver

site is still pretty barebones but i'd rather get actual content on there instead of focusing on a banner

god bless

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Marshall and Jeffery are both active, I doubt they are playing at 100% though.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Thanks heterosexual sex-haver

site is still pretty barebones but i'd rather get actual content on there instead of focusing on a banner

god bless

You know Ehud has a site over int he farthouse, have you thought about hooking up with him?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ramadu posted:

You know Ehud has a site over int he farthouse, have you thought about hooking up with him?

He loving better not. Ehud's my man.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
No I was not aware of that

oh gosh

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Yeah Phillip fuckin' Rivers is going for 350 against the LoB, sure.

Well, not quite

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

400 all purpose. They'll get up by 20 in the first half and then slow way the gently caress down to choke.

You were half right.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

You were half right.

I loving love it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

No I was not aware of that

oh gosh

bro you are welcome to write on FART

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GNU Order posted:

Between the two I think Marshall is more likely to start. I hope they sit both of them though because this is game is a loss even at full strength

Sweet dear baby Jesus, hindsight... Cutler. What the gently caress.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Colts try and run the ball. Fail. Get down by 30 or so.

Look slightly better in the 3rd. Might cut it to 20 some points.

Go nuts in the 4th. Make the game crazy close.

Win/Loss still undetermined.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
It would be an honor to FART

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's a little late for this now, but Greg Bedard did a big writeup on what's wrong with the Packers and Patriots defenses and I found it pretty interesting. He claims that they have very similar issues on defense.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/11/packers-patriots-defense-problems/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Magicpants posted:

I'm gonna let you in on a secret. Bleacher Report is essentially an aggregator where they bring on a bunch of local dudes to rights specific stories.

Most of them are bad. But For the most part their National guys are pretty Good, Matt Miller/Matt Bowen, Tanier, and some other are doing real good work on that site.

Like with most things find dudes/chicks you like and follow their work no matter where they post.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Bleacher Report got Dan Pompei and he was one of the best Chicago sports writers for a long time.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I remember when they offered to keep me on a a features editor and promised "more down the line," then gave me 500 bucks.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan I wish I hadnt blown that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
i will gladly join FART if my posts can be labelled 2FART2Furious thanks

• Locked thread