Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

So, a massive expansion of the military-industrial complex?

Name a time when, as a policy, this hasn't resulted in extreme growth among civil and economic rights in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargield
Aug 15, 2006

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Name a time when, as a policy, this hasn't resulted in extreme growth among civil and economic rights in America.

haha

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

PupsOfWar posted:

call the danes, call the poles, call the mongols

reassemble the Grand Alliance

Don't forget Thailand!

EDIT: Also, I see that in real life The West Wing, The President decided to listen to Leo instead of firing him at this point, creating a rift in the space time continuum (whatever that is) where a separate reality exists. You should come live in my separate reality. The President just brokered a peace deal in the Middle East and Leo is in the hospital, incapacitated.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 11, 2014

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

My Imaginary GF posted:

This...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

No, seriously, name one time. The civil war standardized rail gauge in America and allowed the roaring 70s. You wouldn't have had the land-grant system being used for establishing public universities without that (just compare where gauge was standardized to where it wasn't, i.e. the south).

War of 1812? Shiiittteeeee, what price do you put on freedom of commerce and the rum industry in America, let alone the funding stream for the entirity of the canal craze?

War of Independence? Established postal roads, unified communications and subsidized rates for newspapers. Without the war, you wouldn't have the fred press and secularism that emerged in America.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

No, seriously, name one time.

The last 14 years?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

copper rose petal posted:

The last 14 years?

There's been extreme growth in civil and economic rights. If you want to become American, you can join the military and acquire the rights of full citizenship. We've introduced additional benefits for veterans and vastly expanded mental health care infrastructure through DoD funding.

If you don't see the economic growth, you're not looking well enough. Don't conflate a lack of financial regulation with a lack of financial growth from direct economic stimulus and R&D investment that we've done in the wake of 9/11. Without that funding, would we know what we do about concussions, about PTSD, would we employ researchers examining those areas, would we have expanded automation in logistics chains as much, would drone technology and autonomous vehicles be so far developed without DoD funding arising in the wake of 9/11?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 11, 2014

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

No, seriously, name one time.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Don't even get me started on the bioterrorism investments we've been making.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

Don't even get me started on the bioterrorism investments we've been making.

Really good trolling from this guy!

Of course the average American has benefitted enormously from the military industrial complex! Think what would have happened if OWS was allowed to continue, or if those savages down in Ferguson, MO got what they wanted?

And have you seen how much money has gone to our job creators these past 10 years?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
He's not trolling. I have no question he geniunely believes he is correct.

It strikes me as very reminicent of the PoV of many people heavily involved in national politics around DC, for better or worse (whether in government or the many NGOs based out of DC).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So, in practical terms, what are the contentious parts of the intervention?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

New Division posted:

He's not trolling. I have no question he geniunely believes he is correct.

It strikes me as very reminicent of the PoV of many people heavily involved in national politics around DC, for better or worse (whether in government or the many NGOs based out of DC).

The funny thing is I wasn't actually kidding with my original comment. One effect of the military industrial complex is a massive works program and research institute. Of course, it siphons off many times more money into corporate pockets than ends up doing anything useful, but it does have some positive aspects. It is pretty funny that he felt the need to jump to its defense because of that comment though.

And yes, it's a very beltway point of view, mostly because for a long time now military spending has been the only kind of government spending around that right wingers won't fight an existential war to prevent.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I hope these are the guys who build Bluth Model Homes.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That millions will die and billions will blame us for it.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Liberals: oppose Obama bombing anything in the middle east regardless of circumstances given our recent history
Conservatives: oppose Obama existing

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

My Imaginary GF posted:

That millions will die and billions will blame us for it.

Compared to doing nothing in which case millions will die and billions will blame the US.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CeeJee posted:

Compared to doing nothing in which case millions will die and billions will blame the US.

I completely agree. At least this way, we can strengthen trade relations, create American jobs, build American infrastructure, preserve minority lives and history, while accepting a new member that shares the values of order and vision into our international community.

While ISIS does impose order, its vision is unacceptable.

E:

Re-watching the speech on Charlie Rose right now, seems that we're offering less money for a tribal awakening than amnesty. 'Rise up against ISIS, or you will die.'

Also looking for Arab nations willing to take anyone who refuses to rise up as refugees. If no-one will take them, Iraqi and Iranian forces will.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 11, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I just got home and watched it.

What the living tits did he really pivot to a stump speech? Suddenly he's talking about jobs. What the lifelike Christ obama?? Is this world real? Are you this craven?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

I completely agree. At least this way, we can strengthen trade relations, create American jobs, build American infrastructure, preserve minority lives and history, while accepting a new member that shares the values of order and vision into our international community.

While ISIS does impose order, its vision is unacceptable.

E:

Re-watching the speech on Charlie Rose right now, seems that we're offering less money for a tribal awakening than amnesty. 'Rise up against ISIS, or you will die.'

Also looking for Arab nations willing to take anyone who refuses to rise up as refugees. If no-one will take them, Iraqi and Iranian forces will.

None of this poo poo is going to happen and I guarantee you it will make things in the Middle East more unstable in the long run.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

None of this poo poo is going to happen and I guarantee you it will make things in the Middle East more unstable in the long run.

It works a lot quicker when someone else is willing to do the killing for you.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

It works a lot quicker when someone else is willing to do the killing for you.

Yea, let's leave the murderin' to the Shiites and he Sunnis, they'll tire themselves out.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Yea, let's leave the murderin' to the Shiites and he Sunnis, they'll tire themselves out.

Any day now!

Come on its been like a thousand years!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eventually the last Muslim will kill the second to last Muslim and will stand alone in the desert.

For five minutes before he is killed in a drone strike.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Worked with the monophysites. The point isn't to let them both tire themselves out, the point is, in the exact words of Kissinger, to find a "final solution to the ISIS problem."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Closin' this up, now that the speech is over.

• Locked thread