Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Problem description: Skype randomly (and I do mean randomly) refuses to send or receive Instant Messages. Instant Message is eternally "being delivered" on my end (despite that, the user on the other end sometimes gets it, sometimes not), and IMs are not received until I reboot Skype - at which point I have to reboot the computer entirely to actually use Skype again. Some people I can only contact via Skype and email, and so this creates merry hell when it crops up.

Attempted fixes: Complete uninstall and reinstall of Skype using (successively) version 6.14, version 6.18, and version 6.20. It goes away for a few days and then comes back. Also tried sfc /scannow and DISM (as some system files were found to be corrupted). Same thing, it goes away for a few days and then comes back. Contacted Skype tech support, 5 go-arounds on the same ticket in 3 weeks. (I found out there is no escalating from Skype tech support, except if they send email to the devs, who ignore tech issues for weeks.) They can't figure out what the heck's wrong, either, especially when I bring up the "Cat came back" feature of this issue. You guys are kinda my last-ditch option here, as I use Skype to communicate extensively with family and friends - I can't really get them to switch to other programs, some of em are barely tech-literate as is.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit

System specs: HP Pavilion G6-2235US notebook, model C2N50UA#ABA, cannot figure out how to retrieve other system specs.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes - Googling pulled up the interesting note that this issue seems to have been noticed by users, and gone unfixed, for 2 years, according to the Skype forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Have you attempted completely uninstalling Skype including registry entries? They have a guide here on how to go about it if the tech support hasn't had you try it yet; make sure to restart the computer before attempting to reinstall Skype if you go through this process.

Does the problem occur only on a home network, or does it occur when using other networks like a public wifi access point or a work VPN? When you say you have to reboot the entire computer to use Skype again, are you unable to close the application, or unable to relaunch it after you close it, or does it launch again fine but is unable to send messages or contact others?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I've completely uninstalled Skype, including *manually* deleting registry entries, each time.

Problem occurs regardless of network (I've utilized neighbors' unsecured wifi's to test, at least).

By need to reboot: It launches fine, sometimes I have to run logincleanup to get it to log in, but in any case, if I don't reboot the system it'll log in and not "see" anybody, even if I know they're online as I check.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
You could try checking in the event viewer if you remember a specific time frame of a recent occurrence of the failure or once it happens again; you'd probably want to look for logs related to Skype or your network or failed Windows services in the Windows Logs > Applications or Windows Logs > System sections.

My thought process here is that maybe there is a service that Skype relies upon that is locking up, or that another application is conflicting with Skype and preventing it from maintaining or re-establishing a connection. It's also possible that this is strictly a Skype issue and something they have to resolve internally.

One other question, has this issue been prevalent since you started using Skype on this laptop? If not, when did it start and how long had you been using it prior to then without issue; if so, about how long have you been using it with this issue?

e: One more question actually, have you tried connecting to your network with an ethernet cable instead of wirelessly and seeing if the problem persists that way as well?

e2: It also looks like HP supplies an application of their own with that laptop, try disabling / uninstalling that if it's currently installed. The less potential conflicts the more likely you are to narrow down the cause of an issue.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 14, 2014

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Looking through event viewer now.

The laptop is 2 years old - the issue has only been happening since May, maybe June or so. Since then, it's been unreliable as hell.

e1: I have, no change.

e2: MyRoom was never installed. Never heard of it actually.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have any non-Microsoft antivirus or Internet security programs installed? If so, try uninstalling them completely to see if that helps. I'd also try updating the network adapter drivers if possible.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spacewolf posted:

Looking through event viewer now.

The laptop is 2 years old - the issue has only been happening since May, maybe June or so. Since then, it's been unreliable as hell.

e1: I have, no change.

e2: MyRoom was never installed. Never heard of it actually.

Any chance you updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 around that time frame?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Mo_Steel: I don't recall, when was 8.1 released?

Alereon: Norton Security Suite and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, both the paid versions.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Uninstall Norton Security Suite. I think that will likely fix the problem. Note that just disabling it would not make a difference. If it doesn't help at all you can always reinstall it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spacewolf posted:

Mo_Steel: I don't recall, when was 8.1 released?

Alereon: Norton Security Suite and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, both the paid versions.

8.1. came out in October last year, just checking to see if you might have installed it later as maybe the new OS version could help point to an issue.

Though I agree with Alereon to start with removing Norton to see if that resolves the issue.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Okay, um. Suggestions on a free antivirus product to replace it with?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Windows Defender comes with Windows 8 and replaces Microsoft Security Essentials. Third-party antivirus software doesn't offer a lot of additional value compared to the problems it causes, but if you do want to use third-party software AVG is generally the least bad. As long as you don't browse the web in Internet Explorer and don't ignore plug-in update prompts you'll be okay. Chrome always keeps Flash updated so if you don't have Adobe Reader and Oracle Java installed then you're pretty safe.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I did not know Windows Defender was any good.

Kinda makes me wonder why anybody would get third-party software then, at least for Win 8.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Third-party programs do have higher detection rates, at a cost of increased system problems and false-positives, and typically a greater performance impact. Windows Defender (Security Essentials in earlier versions) is basically optimized to provide the best protection possible without ever breaking anything or throwing up nuisance warnings, other programs choose different balances of brokenness caused vs threats blocked. I think that for most people who don't use Internet Explorer and don't install lots of browser plug-ins it isn't worth using a third-party security program. Using a third-party security program makes more sense for people who consistently have malware problems, for example because they let their kids use their system.

For clarity because it is kind of confusing: For Windows 7 and earlier, "Windows Defender" was the free basic malware protection program provided by Microsoft and it was only minimally effecive. "Security Essentials" was a full virus protection program offered as a free additional download, and later as an optional update through Microsoft Update. In Windows 8 Security Essentials was renamed back to Windows Defender and included by default.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm going to split with Alereon on this one and suggest Bitdefender Free. In recent real-world protection tests by AV-Comparatives MSSE / Windows Defender has slipped to below a 90% protection rate, running along the bottom of the pack of options. Bitdefender Free has limited configuration options but is also very unobtrusive and offers better detection and protection rates. AVG or Avast! would also be a step above MSSE / Windows Defender. In terms of performance Bitdefender is utilizing 2-5% of my CPU (an AMD Phenom II 955 quad-core) and less than 100k memory to perform an active scan and below 1% CPU when scanning passively, so the footprint is pretty low.

This thread is also a good place to check on the topic of AV and anti-malware.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 15, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Note that Bitdefender has a relatively high false-positive rate. AVG generates 1/10th the false-positives and also has a slightly lower performance impact, Windows Defender/MSE has zero false positives or wrongly blocked items on any tests and no measurable performance impact.

In my opinion for most people it is better to trade a lower detection rate for a lower rate of false-positives and system issues, primarily because for most people your AV software ISN'T what is standing between between you and getting infected. If your computer is used by kids who download random software they find or go to shady websites and click on things, using a more impactful security suite with a higher detection rate makes a lot more sense. The big issue to me is that most people don't know they're making that trade when they install third-party AV software, they just think it's adding protection without being aware that it also breaks things. This is supported by the number of threads we have in this forum due to issues caused by third-party AV, and usually people don't even consider turning it off to test, much less uninstalling it.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
In fairness, Alereon, it's because most people forget Windows Defender (for Win 8) even exists.

So to their minds, the alternative is something like screwing a platoon of hookers without a condom.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
OK, as of today:

I removed Norton Security Suite yesterday, per the thread's suggestion. Leaving Malwarebytes because I already tried, back when this started, removing it, and it didn't fix the problem. I guess I expected a major software developer like Symantec would test their crap for compatibility with other major stuff like Skype.

I'll report back in a few days as to whether the issue crops up again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spacewolf posted:

OK, as of today:

I removed Norton Security Suite yesterday, per the thread's suggestion. Leaving Malwarebytes because I already tried, back when this started, removing it, and it didn't fix the problem. I guess I expected a major software developer like Symantec would test their crap for compatibility with other major stuff like Skype.

This is just an aside, but some years ago I worked for a regional ISP doing tech support. Back in those days I used to say that Norton Internet Security was an excellent product - it kept the Internet secure by keeping Norton users off of it.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Spacewolf posted:

OK, as of today:

It happened again. No Norton on my system this time.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still think another program or application is running interference, or possibly that there's an issue with something Skype is trying to access that is being prevented. If you don't mind, would you be willing to download and run Process Monitor the next time you're using Skype to IM?

When you run the application it should open a window up and start populating it with process activities (if it doesn't, select File menu and make sure Capture Events is checked). By default it's going to capture almost all the activity on your machine which would result in a fairly large file, so for now it'll be easier to just focus on Skype events that were not successful and hopefully we'll find the issue that way. Download this filter file and then go to Filter > Organize Filters:

Click on 'Import...' and select the above filter file. Click 'OK', and then when you are back in the main window click Filter > Load Filters... > SkypeFilter. This filter setting should only include events by Skype.exe.

If it goes a long time without Skype failing to IM you may want to clear the tracking to keep it from using up too much memory by hitting Ctrl+X to clear it. After Skype refuses to IM properly again, stop capturing events, then press Ctrl+F and do a find for a time roughly five minutes before the error happened. Right-click an event in that five minutes before area and select "Exclude Events Before". This will narrow down the range we're looking at to a much more manageable chunk.

Now click on File > Save... and use the following settings:

Pick a path that's easy to find like your desktop (logfile.PML is fine for a file name) and then click OK. It should save just the Skype events to the file, hopefully in the 20 MB range. If you're fine with posting a link to the file here that's fine, otherwise you can email me at neschampion@gmail.com if you like.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 21, 2014

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Running Process Monitor now.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Mo_Steel, you should have email. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give on this.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Ooops, I saved the whole big thing.

Event occurred at 11:24 AM, for the record.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sent you an email back with details, sorry I couldn't be more help. It seems registry related as Skype is flooding your system with queries leading up to that time area in the logs that wasn't taking place in the hour or so before then, but I can't seem to tease out the root cause.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Yeah. Gah, registry stuff. I miss when computers were relatively simple to fix.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I am very cautiously declaring this fixed after setting Skype to run as administrator.

It hasn't happened for 8 days, let's see if it holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spacewolf posted:

I am very cautiously declaring this fixed after setting Skype to run as administrator.

It hasn't happened for 8 days, let's see if it holds.

Here's hoping. :)

• Locked thread