Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Problem description: My friend wanted me to reinstall a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 86x on his laptop. I decide to get an ISO of the OS, transfer it into a bootable USB and install it from there, but I was surprised to see that this computer didn't recognize it (it appeared in the BIOS screen, but it couldn't be read).

I decide to burn a dvd of it, and now, instead of just getting a black screen with a blinking underscore, I get a screen with "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I then took the hard-drive from the laptop and stuck it into my main computer, and I was able to complete the windows install with some complications (it kept saying that winlaunch.exe wasn't there, and apparently there were at the end three (!) different windows installs, funny considering I formated the drive each time I reinstalled the OS while trying to fix the drat issue with that exe).

I just put the drive into the laptop, and lo and behold, I get the same "Reboot and select proper boot device..." screen. Puting it into my main pc shows that you can indeed boot from it.

The drive is recognized in the BIOS, I can select it to boot from it, and I have even updated the BIOS, but still, no such luck.

Attempted fixes: cannot boot from usb/cd => installed OS on a different PC . cannot boot from this perfetly bootable drive in the laptop => updated BIOS

--

Operating system: Windows 7, but this problem is a bios one

System specs: Asus K42JV

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How did you make the bootable usb drive?

Did you have any other hard drives in your computer when you stuck the laptop in? If so, the boot info might be on one of the system reserved partitions on another drive, leaving the laptop drive with no boot info.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you either have a bad .iso or a bad burned image.

Have you happened to done a health check on the HDD ?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Just to check the simple first, you are pressing the boot menu key (typically F8, it should say on the bottom of the screen) and selecting the USB drive to boot from using the pop-up menu, right? It won't automatically boot from a drive that you don't select via the pop-up menu. If you still have problems, make sure you are using the correct ISO, it should be Windows 7 64-bit (x64) SP1-1U. 32-bit/x86 would not be compatible with that (or really any) system, and using older install images invites problems.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Problem solved by changing the method of creating a bootable usb. I did it myself with the command line and it worked!

An hour later the computer burned because my friend plugged the computer on a different voltage. Oh well.

• Locked thread