Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
I'm going to Athens with my partner on Tuesday, we'll be there for the week. I know there's the obvious stuff like the Acropolis, but what would you goons suggest? It's my first holiday abroad and will also be our two year anniversary whilst we're there. So a good restaurant suggestion or two would be much appreciated! We're both interested in the culture and history, but a day at a beach would be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

QueenOfMistakes posted:

I'm going to Athens with my partner on Tuesday, we'll be there for the week. I know there's the obvious stuff like the Acropolis, but what would you goons suggest? It's my first holiday abroad and will also be our two year anniversary whilst we're there. So a good restaurant suggestion or two would be much appreciated! We're both interested in the culture and history, but a day at a beach would be nice too.

Strofi, just south of the Acropolis, is an amazing restaurant with great views and if you don't go there you've missed out on ( http://www.strofi.gr/en ). It's expensive (for Greece anyway) and has a nice atmosphere, so it's a good place for special events. I liked it so much I went twice and I don't even live in Athens. I think it's one of two restaurants I've remembered and actually been back to for cities I've never lived in.

A week in Athens is a surprisingly complete amount of time given that it's a city with 5 million people or whatever. I guess this is because its population was 20,000 people from antiquity up until about 1920.

Anyway, probably these are already on your list, but hit up the archaeology museum in Athens and the Acropolis museum, but particularly the first one. Yeah, the entire country is an archaeology museum, but they took all of the good stuff they found at Delphi, the Acropolis, etc, and stuck it in the British Museum, so if you take a day trip to Delphi (or wherever) you're just going to see a bunch of stacked rocks, unfortunately without even any recreated stuff. Most the originals that the Greeks still have are in the antiquity museum or the Acropolis museum, so I'd recommend visiting those before going to any other ruins, with the maybe exception of the Acropolis, which actually does have some recreations in place.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 13, 2014

• Locked thread