Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe you could ask a question?

In Israel it's illegal for a business to employ Jews during the Sabbath, many places that are open on the sabbath either pay fines for hiring jews or hire non-jewish russian immigrants or Israeli-Palestinians.

The ten commandments actually forbid employing gentiles to do craftswork on the sabbath

So all Israelis are pissing off god. Good thing they don't have a hell.

e: serious post, the whole gamut of ways that observant Jews get around the 'not working on the sabbath' rule is pretty ingenious. I've heard about things like lights/tv turning on via timers, so technically it just happens to be on and you're watching it so you didn't work to switch it on, and elevators stopping on every floor etc.

Kind of seems like a bit of a cop-out, unless the Jewish god appreciates that kind of ingenuity.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ddraig posted:

You could say Israelis live in a hell of their own making though

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

notZaar posted:

Its not YHWH its יהוה and you can make a sensible name out that, for example "Yehova/Jehova"

YHWH sounds like Ya Hey. that one really annoying song from Vampire Weekend taught me that.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

emanresu tnuocca posted:

unjustified hatred between jews and themselves, the romans are viewed as an instrument of god

oh, i see. that's what i get for jumping to conclusions. so basically sectarian division amongst jews. that makes sense

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ddraig posted:

e: serious post, the whole gamut of ways that observant Jews get around the 'not working on the sabbath' rule is pretty ingenious. I've heard about things like lights/tv turning on via timers, so technically it just happens to be on and you're watching it so you didn't work to switch it on, and elevators stopping on every floor etc.

Kind of seems like a bit of a cop-out, unless the Jewish god appreciates that kind of ingenuity.

If he's truly jewish I bet he appreciates some rule-lawyering.

Though reading the OT one would get the impression that he doesn't, at all, but hey we didn't spend years studying bible fan fiction so what do we know.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

You could if you want to go to jew hell or whatever the gently caress happens when you disobey the commandments as a jew. Because you're a jew. If you're jewish on your mother's side you're 100% jewish no matter what you have going on with your dad's side.

I think Jewish hell is just being "away" from god. Which I guess means you live out the rest of eternity stuck as the protagonist of a torch song if god decides your wanting to turn on the tv is grounds to break it off.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Does it really say you can't even push a button? What kind of poo poo had buttons back when they were writing that?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Yaldabaoth posted:

You could say Israelis live in a hell of their own making though

Besides the unjustified rocket attacks from Hamas its a pretty cool country with a fairly high standard of living.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

notZaar posted:

Besides the unjustified rocket attacks from Hamas its a pretty cool country with a fairly high standard of living.

Agreed accept for "unjustified"

lolling hard over here. get him boys.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I like that video where one of those rockets scares a cat out of a tree. Luckily I don't think the cat was jewish so Israel didn't kill any palestinians for revenge.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Does it really say you can't even push a button? What kind of poo poo had buttons back when they were writing that?

*Full disclosure, I'm Jewish in that at some point a Jew hosed another Jew in Lithuania and then that resultant Jew moved to America and hosed a German and made a bunch of lady Jews and one of them is my mom and also an aunt invited me to synagogue a couple times. So I'm no expert on... basically anything.*

It doesn't explicitly say that; it's all in the official interpretation of the shabbat law. So much of this poo poo is just a bunch of learned rabbis getting together and interpreting some weird rear end ancient law, or reinterpreting the medieval interpretation of some weird rear end ancient law, so that a judgment can be reached on some contemporary matter... that really no one but the Orthodox worry about anyways.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

you can't kindle a flame and since you could striek a spark when pressing a button button pressing is banned

i think theres a few other justificaitons for the same poo poo too but thats the one i remember

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

you can't kindle a flame and since you could striek a spark when pressing a button button pressing is banned

i think theres a few other justificaitons for the same poo poo too but thats the one i remember

You could make a device that starts a fire and is activated by your voice, therefor you must not speak on the sabbath.

You could make that same device be activated by sensing human respiration and body heat, therefor you must be dead on the sabbath.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

You could make a device that starts a fire and is activated by your voice, therefor you must not speak on the sabbath.

You could make that same device be activated by sensing human respiration and body heat, therefor you must be dead on the sabbath.

no as in electronic switches occasionally generate small sparks

but then again theres special electric sabbath stoves and sabbath refrigerators with timers and poo poo that dont have lights too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath_mode
With some Shabbat mode ovens that are controlled using a keypad to set the temperature, there is a random delay triggered after a button is pressed before the temperature change takes place.

basically:

Yaldabaoth posted:

It makes sense when you realize Jews have such a superiority complex that they're treating even their own deity like a stupid goyim, it's some real "Frankenstein's monster turns on its creator" poo poo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Did I dream this or are Jewish elevators really a thing? Where they are programmed to stop on every floor on Sabbath?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cream_Filling posted:

This is what happens when a society full of religious people becomes more technologically advanced than the primitive society that first came up with their holy laws, you get old-rear end religious leaders holding stupid debates to figure out how the laws apply to stuff that did not exist hundreds of years ago

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
All that rule lawyering poo poo is probably what pissed off god and made all the bad poo poo happen to the jewish people, to tell the truth. If I were god I made some simple to follow rules such as don't loving make a fire on one day of the week and some little jerk was like "I made this fire the other day and it just happens to still be here" I'd turn his rear end into a pillar of salt instantly. God is merciful.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

redshirt posted:

Did I dream this or are Jewish elevators really a thing? Where they are programmed to stop on every floor on Sabbath?

yes and in israel they used tro be required by law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat_elevator

ha another one from that article is that pressing a button closes a circuit, which is "building" and thus not allowed

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ddraig posted:

what kind of jerk god doesn't let you turn on a light switch? drat man, you could hurt yourself tripping on a stray dreidel or some poo poo if you can't see.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 18, 2014

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

what kind of jerk god doesn't let you turn on a light switch?

A jerk god who did not intend for his people to evolve beyond living as bronze age shepherds, probably would have been for the best considering how much trouble they've caused

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Isn't Hanukkah all about the time when the lamp had enough oil for one day, but lasted eight? That's the kind of poo poo that classifies as a miracle in Jewish terms. Think of the savings!

e: There was also Jesus feeding those people with a tiny amount of food. I'm sensing a Jewish trend here.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ddraig posted:

Isn't Hanukkah all about the time when the lamp had enough oil for one day, but lasted eight? That's the kind of poo poo that classifies as a miracle in Jewish terms. Think of the savings!

e: There was also Jesus feeding those people with a tiny amount of food. I'm sensing a Jewish trend here.

It's more about retaking Jerusalem from the Seleucid empire really

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
over here its a thing for muslim boys to work for a jew on saturdays and do dome stuff for them (even though iirc the thorah explicitly forbids that kinds of stuff)

its also ironical to work for a jew if the most common classroom insult is "juif"

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
a typical jew makes his lair under a bridge and waits for gentiles to pass so that they may devour them. gentiles can appease the jew and pass the bridge if they leave a credit card number or a woody allen dvd.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i heard they reproduce via spores

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Jews sound ridiculous. "We invented a thing to make this common task easy because the common task was hard because we weren't allowed to use the thing that made it easy!"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SunAndSpring posted:

what kind of jerk god doesn't let you turn on a light switch?

The real reason they don't touch switches is because islam is the light.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

seriously how could someone be anti-government?

They should show some appreciation and thank the government.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

ubhappy with my attempt to abrogate your human rights? classic antisemitism. go cry about it at your thule meetings, cockslap.

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
Contrary to popular insults, criticising the state of Israel does not make you anti semitic and actually, branding all criticism of Israel as 'anti semitic' in fact lumps all negative acts committed by Israel as 'Jewish' acts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

• Locked thread