Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Perhaps you saw the notice on a bulletin board on the way to class. Perhaps you heard about it from a colleague. Perhaps you heard about it from half a world away. Either way, you find yourself in London on the grounds of Gressenheller University responding to a certain job notice.

quote:

Archaeologists Wanted!
Seeking a party for a research expedition to China
Experts and students accepted
Gressenheller students will receive full course credits
Those interested may meet with Professor Archibald Lucas in the History department of Gressenheller on October 10

Professor Lucas is one of the most renowned historians and archaeologists in the field. His thesis on the lost tribes of the Amazon has become required reading for any historian, and he's written several books on his expeditions. It's been several years since his last one, though, since he's been content to teach at the University. The stakes have to be pretty high for him to start up one after all this time. No matter the reason, anybody in the field would be honored to work with Professor Lucas, and this is your chance!

---

Why hello there! Do you like Indiana Jones? Perhaps you're a fan of Uncharted or Tomb Raider? Well, if so, you've stumbled onto the right place! This is gonna be an Atomic Robo game featuring the just as thrilling cousin of Action Science, Action Archaeology! Puzzle your way through ancient ruins to discover the unknown secrets of history and maybe kick a little rear end in the process!

Character creation is bog standard Atomic Robo chargen. Try to have a Science mode if you can, but it's not a dealbreaker if you don't have one! As stated, you can be either a college student or an established expert.

Recruitment will be open until next Saturday, the 20th. next Thursday, the 25th. Get to it!

See me in #persona on SynIRC.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Interested. Will get to work on a character soon.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Do you like rich snooty archaeologists that are mostly just thieves? Because I do. A weird mixture of Belloq and Lara Croft will be here soon.

EDIT: Okay, it's turning into more of a 20-something that will grow up to be a weird mixture of Belloq and Lara Croft, but still.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 13, 2014

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
How weird can characters get? Like, given the inspirations, I'm assuming everyone's probably human instead of "Noted expert, Mr. Bearington the Bear archaeologist with a megastunt about how everyone assumes he's a person as long as he wears some article of clothing such as his cunning hat" But given atomic robo, I figured I'd better ask.

Side note: Mr. Bearington was plucked from the aether it is not actually what I'm pondering playing.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 14, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, everyone's human. You can be a bit silly, but I'd rather people not be too out there. Think of the tone of an Uncharted game for the level of levity I'm looking for.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Victoria Mallory

Victoria Mallory is not the best student at Gressenheller University. Far from it, in fact. She’s flighty at best. She disappears for days at a time for parties on yachts that have never even entered British waters. She is barely scraping by in most of her classes. Why, then, is she still here?

Three reasons, actually. One, Dean Rutherford went to school with Lord Alfred Mallory, and they both still hold their private school days fondly. Two, the Mallory wing of the university library has recently begun renovations due to an incredibly generous donation from a very wealthy alumnus. Three, well, Victoria actually like archeology. That’s why she’s coming here, after all. As for Professor Lucas’ research expedition? She’s been wanting to visit China anyway. She may as well earn some credit in the process.

Alpha: Haughty Investor’s Daughter
Dilettante: Only The Finest Thrills
Intrigue: Proactive Collector
Banter: Old Money Speaks Loudest
Omega: The Next Great Something

pre:
		Dilettante (+3) 	Intrigue (+2)		Banter (+1)
Superb  (+5)	Contacts 

Great   (+4)	Athletics               

Good    (+3)	Combat, Physique	Deceive
		Vehicles, Antiquities				
Fair    (+2)				Burglary, Notice,
					Stealth
Average (+1)							Empathy, Provoke,
                                                                Rapport, Will
30 pts
Intrigue - 9 pts (Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth)
Banter - 9 pts (Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will)
Dilettante - 7 pts (Athletics(2), Combat(2), Physique(1), Vehicles(1), Antiquities(0), Contacts(1))
5 points to spend

Antiquities: Create an Advantage by knowing a useful historic fact about relics, Overcome by applying a useful historic fact about relics. It’s basically a Science skill, what more do I need to say?

Stunts
-“One Time, In Milan…”: Once per scene, spend a Fate point and choose a skill. You gain +1 to that skill for the rest of the scene to a maximum of Fantastic(+6) as long as you tell everyone about how you have definitely done this before.
-Golden Smile: +1 to overcome or create an advantage with Rapport when showing off your obvious wealth.
-Signature Aspect: Old Money Speaks Loudest
-Two stunt slots to be filled in-game

Physical: [][][][][]
Mental: [][]

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 2, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Louise G. Glaspell

Ms.Glaspell is the classic rags to riches tale. Her family were foreigners who came to America seeking riches, but found little. Living poor on the streets of New York, young Louise learned some of the most useful lessons of her life. While the details are kept behind tight lips, she learned the value of hard work, the craft of cunning, and how to get around the rules. Starting her own business at the youthful age of 19, she grew the business into a powerful conglomerate.

Recently, she has taken a rather intense interest in Chinese history. Her reasons are her own, but word has gotten out in the archaeology community that she has been in talks with experts over setting up an expedition. When she got word of one of the premier experts in the field setting up his own expedition, she decided to take a trip to London and hear him out. Perhaps they happen to be heading in the same direction?

Concept: Self-Made Woman With Dubious Intentions
Banter: From The Wrong Side Of The Tracks
Intrigue: Is It So Wrong To Spy On Your Competitors?
Science: Studying Up For Her Own Reasons
Omega: A Cold Heart Beset By Greed

pre:
		Banter (+3) 	        Intrigue (+2)		Science (+1)
Superb  (+5)	 

Great   (+4)	Contacts, Deceive,
                Will               

Good    (+3)	Empathy, Provoke	Notice
		Rapport 				
Fair    (+2)				Athletics, Burglary,                                   
					Stealth
Average (+1)							Science
Stunts

Slum Life: +2 to Deceive when conversing with scummy, greedy low lifes.

Like You Didn't See This Coming: Use Stealth instead of Combat to attack when the target isn’t aware of you or your murderous intent.

Personal Hardware: Two-Way Wristwatch Radio: +2 to Stealth to defend against detection when using it surreptitiously.

Stress
Physical: [][][]
Mental: [][][][]

Covok fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 28, 2014

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Name: Clara Torres

Born in Cartagena de Indias in Colombia, Clara grew up surrounded by relics of the past-- partly because of the city, but mostly since her father, Armando Torres was an archeologist himself, and he always had something to tell his daughter about it all. He also tended to bring her some souvenirs that would have probably gotten him in trouble if anybody found out.

Armando, sadly, never returned from an expedition in Asia. Clara last saw him when she was 14 years old. Much to the dismay of her mother, instead of being upset at the profession that caused her father's disappearance, Clara was only more interested in it, and launched herself into studying so she could follow his steps.

On the other hand it kept her out of trouble, since her other hobby was to go skating around the city, and some people around the old city especially did not appreciate her stunts, so her mother relented.

In the end, it paid off, and Clara eventually found herself in London, studying in her father's alma mater. The opportunity to join an expedition has her bouncing off the walls!

Concept: Enthusiastic Student!
Clara has always thought that archeology was pretty neat! It must be in the blood, really. She can spout off some interesting trivia and actually has a small collection of various items, courtesy of her dad. She does tend to lose interest in most other topics that aren't related to her interests, however, and as a student she lacks plenty of knowledge on several matters.
Invoke: I think I read about this for class...
Compel: Thaaaat went over my head.

Omega: The Occult Is Pretty Awesome
While she is an archeology student, Clara believes in ghosts, thinks magic is possible, and absolutely loves all things of the occult persuasion. She cannot help but keep bringing stuff like that up if the opportunity arises.
Invoke: Esoteric knowledge ahoy! Encyclopedia of creepy tales.
Compel: Inappropriate time and place! Oh man I totally bet there are ghosts here!

Action: Rollerblade Or Die
Clara's most prized possessions are a set of inline skates. They have seen some pretty heavy use, but they are also well maintained and in good shape. Frankly speaking, Clara feels more comfortable with wheels on her feet than just walking. On the other hand she is VERY good with those.
Invoke: Tony Hawking it up! Ridiculous sense of balance.
Compel: Some places are not made for skating. Would still like to use the skates anyway!

Science: Youthful Ingenuity
Clara is still young and has a bright, fresh perspective on things! She can come up with some out-of-the-box solutions with relative ease! ... Of course, they may not be entirely GOOD solutions...
Invoke: Lateral Thinking. Cheating is also a solution!
Compel: Psh, leave it to me! - Whoops!

Banter: It's Family Business!
Clara's dad was an archeologist, so she knows a few things about the trade from his stories. More importantly, he was a man of some renown, and his name still carries some weight even after his death... for good or for ill.
Invoke: Yes, I am his daughter! Ah, my dad told me about this place once...
Compel: Some people didn't really like him...

Modes:
Good - ACTION
Fair - SCIENCE
Average - BANTER

Skills:

pre:
		Action (+3) 	        Science (+2)		Banter (+1)
Superb  (+5)    Athletics, Notice 	 

Great   (+4)	Physique, Provoke	Science (Archeology)           

Good    (+3)	Combat, Vehicles	Will

Fair    (+2)				"Science" (Paranormal)
Average (+1)			                                Contacts, Deceive, 
                                                                Empathy, Rapport
Specialize from trained: ATHLETICS
Specialize from trained: SCIENCE (Archeology)
Focus from trained: PHYSIQUE
Specialize from focused: NOTICE

Stunts
1) Signature Aspect: Rollerblade or Die.
2) Personal Hardware: Inline Skates +2 to Athletics when running
3) I can do this all day!: The girl can run forever. +2 to overcome endurance actions with Physique
4) TBA
5) TBA

Stress:
Physical [][][][]
Mental [][][]

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 28, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Dr. Lowthian Wei Yau

Outside of archaeological circles, Lowthian Wei Yau is best known as a surprise winner of the Miss Hong Kong crown after jumping four spots in the final due to a brawl among the other contestants. That she didn't participate - or in fact instigate - the brawl was probably as much of an upset as the results of it.

Ever since she's regretted taking the drunken dare to enter the contest. If she had to do it over again, she'd have knocked the other contestants on their asses instead of laughing her own off at their fighting "technique." Lowthian would much rather be known for her field work, in particular her obsessively detailed reconstructions of ancient Chinese technology and martial arts.

Her turn as a pageant winner wasn't the only career she left behind because it was threatening to overshadow her chosen vocation, but the second one came about from facts a bit more complicated than being pretty, from Hong Kong, and having terrible friends.

Born into an upper class Hong Kong family, it was de riguer that her university work took place at Cambridge, following in her mother's footsteps (the result, according to family legend, of a coinflip that her Oxford educated father lost). It was in England that she discovered her love of archaeology, and soon fell in with a crowd trying to recreate Medieval sword fighting techniques, mostly as a result of one professor deciding the best way to make his rival look like a moron was to actually go out and prove his theory was right, no matter how many dons looked down their noses at his uncouth activities. What did he think he was, a physicist?

Lowthian quickly became his top protege because, unlike the well-bred semi-competents he was used to teaching, she knew how to fight already. This was legacy of a rebellious phase that saw Lowthian haunting the seedy kung fu schools of her island home, managing to avoid getting herself killed by the unlikely expedient of actually having a talent for fist fights.

She also drew the attention of another storied British institution with a history of muddling through. With the 99 year lease actually having been honored, MI6 was looking for new recruits to keep an eye on the former Crown Colony, and to use it as a launching pad into the mainland. After a bit of a song and dance routine, Lowthian spent a school break in a crash espionage course, tested out of the close quarters combat part of the commando course, and endured enough bad Bond jokes to last her a lifetime, not that anyone else seems to have gotten the memo on that front.

Having gotten her degree and her secret commission, she returned to Hong Kong and set about excelling in both of her careers. While her work proved to be less TH Lawrence and more George Smiley, but still exciting. Her handlers were well pleased with her work, and she engaged in exciting cat and mouse games with Chinese internal security, intermittently suspicious but never able to pin her down. Unfortunately all good things come to an end, thankfully through no fault of her own. A CIA run op blew up spectacularly and due mostly to bad luck the Chinese got onto the trail of a British backed cell she had been supporting. MI6 managed to yank her before she was made, on the excuse of a sick aunt who'd gone to Dear Old Blighty for an experimental medical procedure.

Though her cover was technically intact, there was too much heat on Lowthian. She was debriefed, set up with a cushy university job and sub-rosa pension, and sent on her way with the thanks of Her Majesty's government for a job well done. Not a bad ending for someone in that line of work.

There was one downside to getting out of the spy business - without the constant frisson of danger and stuck lecturing instead of working in the field, Lowthian has gradually become bored out of her skull. So when she saw Professor Lucas' flyer, she immediately camped out in his office with her CV until he realized he needed her on the expedition.

Concept: Espionage Archaeologist
Science: Working Construction of the Past
Intrigue: Off Her Majesty's Secret Service
Action: Queen of Talking Hands
Omega: Miss Congeniality

Skills:
pre:
		Science (+3)		 Intrigue (+2)		 Action (+1)
Superb (+5)	Archaeology,
		Notice
Great (+4)			
Good (+3)	Other Sciences,		Athletics, Burglary,	Combat
		Will			Contacts, Stealth
Fair (+2)				Deceive
Average (+1)							Physique, Provoke,
								Vehicles
Improvements: Specialized Archaeology, Combat. Focused Burglary, Contacts, Stealth.

Stunts:

Babylon-on-Thames: +2 to create advantages with Contacts when you have access to former SIS colleagues, even if just by phone.

Cross Disciplinary: During brainstorms, you gain a bonus to Science skill rolls to establish a fact or hypothesis equal to the number of different Science skills you've used on previous rolls.

Eternal Springtime: +2 to Combat when fighting unarmed.

Experimental Archaeology: When using an ancient device spend a fate point to operate it using Archaeology instead of whatever other skill would normally apply until the end of the scene.

Reinvention: +2 to Archaeology when inventing. When you create an invention with at least one mega-stunt, you can ignore one of its catches as long as the invention is based on a historical piece of technology (ie. at least 100 years old).

(Total benefits: 5 - 5 = 0 fate points to the GM’s reserve.)

Stress
Physical OOOO
Mental OOO

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 22, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Space reserved for the world's nicest football player/linguist!

Lachlan Willsbury

A lot of people enter the University expecting to hate Lachlan Willsbury. He's very hateable by a certain kind of person at first glance: Attractive, popular, star hooker of the Owls (Fight song: Whoooo Can Stop Us?) Gotta be a jerk, right?

Then people actually meet him, and discover to their embarrassment that he's basically the nicest goddamn person on campus.

Lachlan's kindness comes from knowing the other side of things very well: a late bloomer, he was bullied mercilessly for his nerdy interest in books everyone else would have rather skipped. (Who can blame them- he wanted the teacher to spend more time on Dostoyevsky.) Upon reaching the Fifth form, however, he shot up to 6'4", put on muscle like nobody's business, and promptly became a fixture in the local casual rugby teams. Perhaps there's a little revenge in there, seeing as Lachlan definitely took the opportunity to squash a few of his more irritating tormentors flat a time or two.

The Lachlan that arrived at uni was older, much more self assured, and had totally disavowed his studious past... other than a continued, defiant obsession with words, that eventually turned into the study of languages, primarily Chinese, and linguistics. Why Chinese? Lachlan isn't saying.

Lachlan also isn't saying why he has given up the parties of the off-season to apply to join Professor Lucas' expedition, other than stating he's "always wanted to see China." But apply he has.

Concept: A True Sportsman
Action: PLAY BALL!
Science: Devoted to the Word Game
Banter: Cunning Linguist
Omega: An Ancient Chinese Dark Secret

pre:
                Action (+3) 	        Science (+2)		Banter (+1)
Superb  (+5)	Athletics(3) 

Great   (+4)	Provoke, Notice      Linguistics(3), Will      
		Physique (1)
Good    (+3)	Combat
			  Vehicles	
Fair    (+2)				Science               Empathy(1), Rapport(1) 

Average (+1)						     Contacts, Deceive, 

Stunt
The Importance of Body Language: As long as he can relate it to sports metaphors in a sport both people know, Lachlan can have a conversation with anybody.

If You Can Catch a Ball: Lachlan is immune to projectile weapons as long as he's aware of them.

The Pose: Lachlan may use Physique in place of Rapport or Deceive as long as the target finds him attractive.

Star QB: Objects thrown by Lachlan never miss their target.

Secret Dork: Lachlan may swap any Science sub specialty and Athletics once per scene by revealing his incredibly nerdy reason for knowing it. This lasts as long as someone who cares is witnessing his shame.

Stress
Physical: [][][][]
Mental: [][][]

K Prime fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 19, 2014

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Chaucery Thistleton

Chaucery was born to upper middle class parents in the suburbs of London, and proved to be just above average in his scholastics, but excelled in all manner of extra-curricular activities, from sports to debate. His passion, though, was service, and he worked with a number of charitable programs throughout high school. As he was just about to enter his last year, his parents died in an automobile accident. Chaucery moved to live with relatives in the north, but his financial circumstances there left him with few options for University. Instead, Chaucery enlisted.

He showed promise from his first days in basic training, scoring second among the recruits in marksmanship and taking on active leadership role. Soon, he was put into active service in the Middle East, as a Lance Corporal. Over the course of the next five years, he led his squad. He worked extensively with the local population against the insurgency, developing good will by protecting both his men and the locals. He only saw two firefights in this time, and he managed to emerge from both without casualties due to his spot on leadership. Shortly after that second fight, his exemplary record and recommendations from both superiors and subordinates managed to secure him an early promotion to Corporal.

During the next two years, he flourished under the new responsibilities. All seemed well until, during a routine patrol, he was trapped in an ambush with several of his men. Reinforcements were unable to break them out, and so Chaucery charged into the fray, distracting the enemy to allow his men to flank the enemy. He suffered multiple wounds and was honorably discharged afterwards.

For two years, he struggled through his recovery, and over time the lingering effects of his injuries faded. Rather than re-enlisting, Chaucery decided to embark on a new adventure by plunging into the world of academia. He enrolled at Gressenheller University and began his studies as a history major. His discipline allowed himself to excel, even if some of the minutiae isn't the most exciting to him. Noticing the lack of enthusiasm, one of his professors recommended Professor Lucas' research expedition as a way for him to engage with the material, with a real world application. And so, Chaucery prepares himself for his meeting with the professor.

Those that know Chaucery speak of him as an earnest and honest man, full of pip and vigor. While respectful of the chain of command, he still speaks his mind openly, which causes him some trouble with the younger students at the University, though after initial meetings he can be quick to understand the thinking of others. Despite the injuries he suffered, Chaucery still speaks highly of his time in the service and keeps his skills honed by practicing at a local firing range. Most of all, he is a man who will not see injustice done. No matter the risk, he is willing to help others who are in need.

Concept: Former Soldier
NCO: A Veteran and a Patriot
*Action: First into the Fire (Signature)
Science: Just a Student
Omega: Quintessentially British

pre:
		NCO (+3)        	Action (+2)		Science (+1)
Superb  (+5)	Combat 

Great   (+4)	Athletics, Empathy,               
		Physique, Vehicles

Good    (+3)	Rapport         	Notice                  Will

Fair    (+2)			        Provoke                 Science (History)

Average (+1)							Sciences
30 pts
Non Commissioned Officer (NCO) - 11 pts (Athletics, Combat, Empathy, Physique, Rapport, Vehicles)
Action - 9 pts (Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles)
Science- 3 pts (Notice, Will, Sciences)
Will: Focused->Specialized - 3 pts
Combat: Trained->Specialized - 2 pts
Science (History): Focused->Trained - 1 pt
Empathy: Focused->Trained - 1 pt

Stunts
Service Revolver- Weapon:2
Fear is For the French- +2 to Will when defending against fear
Signature Aspect- First into the Fire
-
-

Physical: [ ][ ][ ][ ]
Mental: [ ][ ][ ]

Meinberg fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 28, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Since it took a couple days for the apps to start coming in, and most of them are unfinished, I'm extending the recruit slightly. The deadline is now a week from today, Thursday the 25th at midnight EST.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
W.I.P.

Mason L. Kinsella

Mason knows what you don't, stuff that the government doesn't want you to know. He knows that Princess Dianna was assassinated, that the moon landing was faked, and that everything is controlled by an extraterrestrial cabal known as the Bilderberg Group.

Yes, of course the world is run by aliens. Isn't it obvious? The first evidence of a UFO visiting Earth was around 47,000 years ago, in the Hunan province of China. After that, there's numerous examples of alien life assisting the growth of young civilizations. Not to mention the accounts of these beings 'mating' with early humans. That gives them plenty of time to merge into the populace and begin to coordinate world affairs while masking as kings, emperors, or politicians.

It's all so simple, he wonders why you haven't realized it for yourself.

Mason's interested in the China trip for three reasons; he wants to visit the mentioned hieroglyphics in the Hunan province, to investigate the Baigong Pipes (and the nearby pyramid), and, hopefully, to uncover something that'll change the course of human and alien history forever.

Aspects:

*Concept: A Tangled Web: Mason firmly believes that every world event has been coordinated by an extraterrestrial hand, and everything is connected by a shadowy web of conspiracy. Any evidence to the contrary is obviously false and designed to throw him off track. Every once in a while, something comes up that forces him to shift his perception a little bit, but he's always able to fit it in just right.
Invoke: "I know about y because it's obviously related to x."
Compel: "You really expect me to believe that crap?"

Omega: You Are Never Alone: Mason runs a popular blog dedicating to spreading his findings and theories, XTRWatch, and is in the process of having a book published. However, after his site went live, he's had to watch his back and keep an eye on everyone. 'Government' officials are always watching, and most of them want him quiet.
Invoke: "That guy's acting suspicious. Watch him."
Compel: "You're working for them, aren't you!?"

Good: Science|Homonyms: Mason's an intelligent young man, with a wide variety of interests, including chemistry, electrical engineering, and even explosives. He also knows the secret side of each field, and how they tie into his various beliefs.
Invoke: "'Course I know what floruide is. It's an anion of flourine, and it's used as a weak base in chemistry."
Compel: "You don't expect me to drink this, do you? It has flouride in it!"

Average: Banter|Mask Of Sanity: Mason understands that not everyone is ready for his findings. He's decent at hiding the inner machinations of his brain and the alien-addled thoughts he has underneath a layer of sociability and pleasantness. The problem is not getting him worked up about how the world really is.
Invoke: "Let me tell you about the time..."
Compel: "What do you mean you don't know about the Nazca Lines?!"

Fair: Action|Paranoid Pugilist: Ever since he started sharing his findings with the Internet, Mason has been running several scenarios in his head about what exactly he'd do if the Bilderberg Group was on his tail in a variety of situations. He's taken up boxing and target shooting to prepare for that one day when They finally find him, and he's forced to act. He's probably, like, ten times as competent in his dreams then he is in real life, and he's a bit jumpy, but it's the thought that counts, right?
Invoke: "I've been preparing for this situation my whole life."
Compel: "I've been preparing for this situation my whole life."

Skills:
+5: Xenology (Science)
+4: Notice [Reinforced], Will [Reinforced], Science
+3: Provoke [Reinforced], Rapport, Deceive
+2: Contacts, Empathy
+1: Athletics, Combat, Physique, Vehicles

Specialized Xenology (Science) from Trained. (3)
Specialized Rapport from Focused. (2)
Specialized Science from Focused. (2)
Specialized Deceive from Focused. (2)

Stunts

Chariot of the Gods: +2 to Drive or Athletics when being pursued by someone.

Great Minds Think Alike: +2 to Rapport when talking with someone who shares Mason's ideas.

Unbelievable: People trying to Deceive Mason suffer a -1 penalty.

Signature Aspect: A Tangled Web

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 27, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Charles "Charlie" Lin

Charlie is a historian. He's third generation British by way of Hong Kong, thank you very much, and proud of it. He is a scholar of Chinese history, yes, and he does have family in China - mostly Hong Kong - but he firmly thinks of himself as a Briton. He's even got a posting at the British Museum, as official Curator of Chinese Antiquities. He can recite the history of Tang vases, knows the names of every Emperor and, in his spare time, he reads the classics (both Chinese and Western) and keeps up with his field. He's one of the best historians the British Museum has on staff and has published three books, one of which was a bestseller.

This fact is often lost on the people who meet him for the first time, though. Charlie is over six feet tall and spends a lot of his thinking time in the gym. He's an excellent fighter, due to the fact that it's an MMA gym, and that's helped him with some of his work. After all, going to get firsthand sources in dangerous areas is easier if you can handle yourself in a fight. He's often taken for being far stupider than he actually is, thanks to his appearance and demeanor in a fight. He's more than happy to use that to his advantage, too.

It won't stop him from nattering on about Shakespeare or the finer points of Qin politics when he's done smashing someone into a wall with one hand, though.

Concept: World's Strongest Historian
Charlie is a gigantic mass of muscle and historical knowledge. He's quite possibly one of the most toned scholars in the world, and easily the strongest person working for the British Museum. Plus, he's a great historian!
Invoke: Feats of strength and historical knowledge!
Compel: "Oops, I didn't meant to break that."

Action: Do You Even Lift?
Invoke: Break things, feats of strength, hit someone really hard.
Compel: Become the obvious target, get into a contest of strength.

Historian: Classically Educated And Proud Of It
Invoke: Knowledge of all kinds! Be cultured and erudite!
Compel: Get mad over people assuming he's a musclehead, get into arguments over the classics.

Banter: Have You Read My Book?
Invoke: Fame, recognition and everything that goes with it.
Compel: Fame, recognition and everything that goes with it.

Omega: Subtle Like A Brick
Invoke: To bull through problems.
Compel: To bull into problems.

pre:
	Action (+3)		Historian (+2)		Banter (+1)
+5:	Physique
+4:	Notice, Provoke,	History
	Combat
+3:	Athletics, Vehicles	Will
+2:				Other Sciences		Contacts, Rapport
+1:							Deceive, Empathy
Stunts
Steel Fist: Weapon: 2 when unarmed.
Steal Fist: Use Combat in place of Burglary to grab weapons or artifacts from other people.
I Did My Homework: +2 to overcoming with History as long as Charlie's had time to look up the people or places involved.
Signature Aspect: World's Strongest Historian
Just A Big Guy: +2 to Deceive when pretending to be stupid.

Stress
Physical: ()()()()
Mental: ()()()

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 27, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A reminder that applications close in TWO DAYS so anybody who's lollygagging on putting one in needs to hurry up! After the deadline, those that already have apps in will be given the weekend to finish.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

IT'S OVER

You have til Sunday to finish up!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A note on stunts, since it seems like a lot of you don't have them yet: For me to consider your sheet complete, you do not need a full 5 stunts. 3 stunts or more will be enough for it to be complete for the sake of picking.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

*Bing bong* An announcement is made on the campus of Gressenheller.

"Victoria Mallory (LurksWithWolves),
Clara Torres (Kerzoro),
Lowthian Wei Yau (Comrade Gorbash),
Lachlan Willsbury (K Prime),
and Charlie Lin (Mors Rattus)

please report to Professor Lucas' office."

Be prepared for some questions over the next few days before the game starts.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Sweet! Thanks! Looking forward to play SCIENCE with you all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Awesome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You find yourself in an office across a desk from Professor Lucas himself. As he closes a book and looks up at you, he asks:

Victoria, I initially hesitated to bring you on this expedition, but despite your grades, you seem to have a passion for archaeology. What, besides money, do you hope to bring to this expedition?

Clara, I've heard that you have an interest in the paranormal despite being a scientist. Though I don't believe in such things myself, I try to keep myself open to other mindsets. Do you think you'll find any paranormal activity on this expedition?

Dr. Yau, as an expedition team, we all have to work together. I can trust you not to hide anything from your colleagues, right?

Lachlan, you're the hooker for the Owls, right? A linguistics major, too. Do you have any experience with the Chinese language?

Charlie, you do martial arts in your spare time, correct? Archaeology can be rough, dangerous business. Are you prepared to risk your life if things go south?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 2, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Charlie, you do martial arts in your spare time, correct? Archaeology can be rough, dangerous business. Are you prepared to risk your life if things go south?

That's right. Mixed martial arts. Great people. I...well, I've risked my life before. That business with the Iraqi artifact smugglers, you know? I don't relish it, but I'm more than able to deal with it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Waffleman_ posted:

Dr. Yau, as an expedition team, we all have to work together. I can trust you not to hide anything from your colleagues, right?

I'm assuming you mean in regards to academic subjects and our work, because of course I wouldn't betray anyone's confidence if it was a personal matter. But you can rest assured I will be completely open about my work and quite willing to assist others in theirs. And to share credit and authorship. You've nothing to worry about, Professor.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Victoria, I initially hesitated to bring you on this expedition, but despite your grades, you seem to have a passion for archaeology. What, besides money, do you hope to bring to this expedition?

"Oh come now, Professor. You know as well as I that I can offer more than mere money to this expedition. More specifically, I have connections. Well, my father has connections, but a Mallory is a Mallory. I still have dear acquaintances across the globe. There are still old family friends that will gladly help their old chum's daughter from here to Tokyo. The Mallory name will still open more doors than any key."

"Oh, and I suppose I'm another set of hands for the dig. I guess that counts for something."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Clara, I've heard that you have an interest in the paranormal despite being a scientist. Though I don't believe in such things myself, I try to keep myself open to other mindsets. Do you think you'll find any paranormal activity on this expedition?

"Hmm? Well, the Chinese were pretty big on legends regarding gods and ghosts, and even nowadays being respectful to your ancestors is a huge deal. They even have a holiday about ghosts! I don't know if we'll -see- any ghosts... I mean, going invisible is a thing they do after all, but I'm pretty sure we'll find plenty of material related to them! ... Oh, and we should probably hope to not run into some of the nastier sorts of spirits."

"... well, maybe Charlie will have an ancestor or two that might wanna bug him."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'll try to have the thread up tomorrow, as a serendipitous match to the date I randomly put into the listing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671018

It's live!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Hurray for Jade Empire music as the main there :toot:

So anyway if anybody is interested in interacting with Clara she will likely be either trying to polish up her poor chinese skills or skating. Or both. Likely both.

Do you think it's a good idea to add a link to the OOC thread on the main thread?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Done and done.

Sorry about the delay, I've just been swamped these past few days and this is pretty much the only free time I have until Friday/Saturday. School is a killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm busy this week getting ready for Thanksgiving break, but I can post next week when Thanksgiving break actually happens.

• Locked thread