Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I recently moved to a country that Netflix is apparently forbidden from servicing due to idiotic licensing agreements with the movie industry. In order to correct this, I subscribed to an inexpensive VPN service. Now, on my laptop, I can get netflix just fine with the VPN software they provided, but I have a TV and a PS3 that I'd like to get working too...

The PS3 does not directly support VPN usage. I check with the VPN's tech support, and they say I need to set the VPN up with my router. Unfortunately, my wife purchased a router without me checking it out first, and it doesn't look like the router has VPN capabilities in and of itself (Apple Airport Express).

Never fear, google brings a slightly more convoluted method... I can simply use a crossover lan cable to connect the PS3 to my laptop which has the VPN set up properly! I follow the instructions on this website: http://vpncreative.net/2012/05/29/setting-up-vpn-on-ps3/

My laptop is using Windows 7. I was able to follow the guide's instructions exactly until bullet point #6, where it says "On the Network & Sharing Center menu, right click on the VPN option"... I don't seem to have a VPN option. What I do have is a "Sharing" tab under "Local Area Connection Properties". I activated "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection", and left it at that.

When I plug in the crossover cable between the laptop and the PS3, the laptop recognizes that there is some sort of network connection existing, but the PS3 can't get an IP address.

Anyone have any experience in this kind of thing? If necessary, I'll shell out the $90 or so it takes to get a router with VPN capability, but I'd prefer not to have to if possible, since I do have a laptop and crossover cable anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
If nothing else, buy the router for stability. Internet sharing on Windows 7 is pretty awful. You may have more success than I did, though.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I was afraid of that. Holding out hope that someone out there has successfully shared internet using Windows 7...

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
So your laptop has an Ethernet port connected to the PS3 and a Wifi adapter connected to the airport? You need to enable "share my internet connection" on your wifi adapter, not the local area network adapter. The might be all you need to do by the sounds of it.

Edit: you might need to highlight both the wifi adapter and the LAN adapter, right click and "create bridge" but I'm not sure. I haven't used ICS since windows 98.

• Locked thread