Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

stevie wonder's genius period is generally considered to have taken place during the 1970s, plus or minus an album on either side depending on who you talk to. but if you have to pick one record to demonstrate his peak as a songwriter and performer, you can't go wrong with the double LP songs in the key of life.

it's easy for those of us who grew up with his music to forget how much goddamn genius he displayed in his prime, but step back for a second and imagine you live in a world where stevie wonder's music isn't ubiquitous. then put on the record, start to finish. here's a youtube of the whole thing if for some hosed up reason you don't already own the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMIjgKSIvE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

this is my favorite stevie album :thumbsup:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

same

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

a hole-y ghost posted:

It's good but I like Innervisions and Talking Book way better. Another Star is the jam as far as Songs in the Key of Life but Tuesday Heartbreak???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkStqM_9ThE

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Bumping because if Tammy Wynette gets a thread stevie loving wonder better have one too

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Still waiting for a Harry Belafonte thread :ohdear:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Stebie Wonder did Isn't She Lovely and I Just Called to say I Love You and that's all the general public will remember him for :colbert:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
talking book owns, a completely solid album, but superstition and maybe your baby made it a drat classic

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Who would win in a fight, Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles in their primes?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Grant DaNasty posted:

Who would win in a fight, Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles in their primes?

Dunno, but it would be loving hilarious to watch.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Howard Beale posted:

talking book owns, a completely solid album, but superstition and maybe your baby made it a drat classic

Both great songs. It was also cool how Stevie always got major loving artists to show up and perform bit parts on his records. Like the Jackson Five on You Haven't Done Nothing or Jeff Beck laying guitar on Looking for Another Pure Love(usually my favorite song on Talking Book though it does change) or a million people on Another Star.

Stevie is probably a pretty cool bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stevie's doing a new tour playing Songs in the Key of Life. If you're not literal poo poo you should get a ticket to it because it's probably the last chance you'll get to hear it live.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Stevie-Wonder-tickets/artist/772848

Chrpno posted:

Stebie Wonder did Isn't She Lovely and I Just Called to say I Love You and that's all the general public will remember him for :colbert:

I should hope he gets remembered for Higher Ground, rather than the lovely Chili Peppers version like what happened with the Ohio Players and Love Rollercoaster.

Fisticuffs posted:

It's good but I like Innervisions and Talking Book way better. Another Star is the jam as far as Songs in the Key of Life but Tuesday Heartbreak???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkStqM_9ThE

Contusion, Sir Duke, I Wish, Knocks Me Off My Feet, As? Key of Life is just a jam that keeps going for an hour and a half.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 15, 2014

• Locked thread