Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
Problem description: Built a new PC a couple months ago, everything working great until I boot up today and get the "This copy of windows is not genuine" message, error: 0XC004F057. I have a product key but when I type it in it's coming up as not valid.

Attempted fixes: uninstalled a couple recent windows security updates, then re-installed when that didn't solve anything. Google didn't provide too much helpful info other than "enter your COA". I've re-entered the key with no change in results.

Recent changes: No recent changes

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

System specs: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark2, Intel Core i5-4690k, Samsung SSD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did Windows activate properly using your key after you initially installed it?

Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
When I first installed I don't remember it asking me for the key, but otherwise everything went smoothly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Are you 100% sure that the key you're installing from is valid and appropriate for the disc you installed from? Windows does not prompt you for a key when you install, you have a 30 day evaluation period to activate Windows using a product key after installation, which can be extended twice for a total of 90 days. Your symptoms match what happens if you don't use a key that is valid for the version of Windows you installed.

E: Just to be explicit, if you are using an MSDN key that did not come on a COA sticker that you either bought or someone gave you, it will no longer work with Windows.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 14, 2014

Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
I'll triple check.. was afraid that might be the case. Thanks for the response! If in the event that I need to purchase another would I have to re install the new copy of windows or could I just enter the new key to validate the OS?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You shouldn't need to reinstall as long as the COA is for the version of Windows you have installed - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit. You couldn't use a COA for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, for instance.

Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
Alright, I definitely have a genuine copy and genuine key, yet this error keeps coming up (0xC004F057). Is it possible it's from corrupt files? I'd do a system restore but the furthest back restore point I'm seeing is after the issue came up a couple days ago.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can you try just reregistering the key?

From an administrator command prompt:

slmgr -ipk (your windows key here)
slmgr -ato

If it returns an error, you might at least be able to narrow it down.

Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
return error is 0xC004F025, (request action requires elevated privileges), though I am logged in as admin

oh wait didn't run as admin, my fault

e: still coming up invalid

Rusty Shackleford fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 18, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
If that doesn't fix it, confirm you installed fresh from correct media that matches the key you're using. It's entirely possible you have valid media and a valid key that are not valid in combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
Issue resolved, my keys got shuffled around but I got the right combo finally. Thanks all

• Locked thread