Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So I am trying to find a job in a Texas oilfield or chemical plant. I recently graduated as a Chemical engineer and it seems that my degree is about as useful as stock paper. Yes I've already done everything you are about to suggest to find a job with my degree, lets not waste a single word on that topic. Please do not post anything about applying online, seriously don't.

Now if there is a better position than roughneck that my degree could help me get that would be great. Eventually in a few years I'd like to move into an engineering job, but I need a job that can help me get there. If you have a story about how you moved to Texas and got an oilfield job, operator position in a chemical plant, or something similar please post.

Also if you have any advice for picking up and moving to another state to find a job please share. My current plan is to get a job here(Miami, Florida), and save up like 2000 dollars then move to Texas. I will probably be living out of my car until I find a job.

Yes I am aware the work is extremely hard. Life sucks and I will learn to deal with it. I am in decent shape and know I can handle the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
You'll be out in Midland/Odessa probably - is your spanish good? You're going to need a lot of spanish.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

gently caress the ROW posted:

You'll be out in Midland/Odessa probably - is your spanish good? You're going to need a lot of spanish.

Yes I speak Spanish(I am Cuban, or rather my family is). Its not perfect, but I don't think it needs to be at a college level for this sort of work.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Also look into the Houston area, specifically Baytown and surrounding areas. Tons of plants there, could be opportunity for ya.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
A chemical engineering degree is actually a pretty great fit for this kind of thing and should provide you some opportunity to go in at a higher-than-roughneck level. I know you dont want to hear it, but if you want to PM me your resume or post the important parts here I dont mind taking a look and seeing if I can come up with any ideas.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Don't forget Alberta, lots of oil work out there, though now is not the time to move to Canada.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Also look into the Houston area, specifically Baytown and surrounding areas. Tons of plants there, could be opportunity for ya.

^ You wouldn't be a "roughneck" in one of these positions either. You'd either be helping to run a line (ordering operators around) or be on a project team that addresses issues or makes line changes. You can also look at the Beaumont or Port Arthur area.

And regardless of where you go in Texas, it's good to note that you're somewhat bilingual. While it usually isn't necessary for entry level positions, it's helpful for work in this state on any level.

Any reason you are specifically looking at TX? Our plant near Baton Rouge is hiring chemical engineers as well.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Xeom posted:

Yes I speak Spanish(I am Cuban, or rather my family is). Its not perfect, but I don't think it needs to be at a college level for this sort of work.

Do you list something like "Fluent in spoken Spanish" or "Conversant in spoken/written Spanish" or whatever is appropriate to your level of skill on your resume? This can set you apart from the average ChemE fresh out of college, especially for positions where you're going to be on the plant floor interacting with sesquilingual operators.

There's always the entrepreneurial option. Can you get your hands on a supply of methylamine?

The Baumer
Oct 22, 2008
E&P companies usually like their production and reservoir engineers to have a chem background. Pick up a textbook on accounting for oil and gas and familiarize yourself with full cost methods of booking reserves.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Tom Steele posted:

A chemical engineering degree is actually a pretty great fit for this kind of thing and should provide you some opportunity to go in at a higher-than-roughneck level. I know you dont want to hear it, but if you want to PM me your resume or post the important parts here I dont mind taking a look and seeing if I can come up with any ideas.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B57x9ymMkUb4t1aoAu3fu4K7bjCrL3I3dIixPb0t36o/edit

it fits on one page in MS word.

Barrista posted:

^ You wouldn't be a "roughneck" in one of these positions either. You'd either be helping to run a line (ordering operators around) or be on a project team that addresses issues or makes line changes. You can also look at the Beaumont or Port Arthur area.

And regardless of where you go in Texas, it's good to note that you're somewhat bilingual. While it usually isn't necessary for entry level positions, it's helpful for work in this state on any level.

Any reason you are specifically looking at TX? Our plant near Baton Rouge is hiring chemical engineers as well.

I've been applying every where in the united states. I am just going to take my car and try to find a job in Texas, because that's where people say the jobs are at. Ill gladly take a position anywhere.

Frozen Horse posted:

Do you list something like "Fluent in spoken Spanish" or "Conversant in spoken/written Spanish" or whatever is appropriate to your level of skill on your resume? This can set you apart from the average ChemE fresh out of college, especially for positions where you're going to be on the plant floor interacting with sesquilingual operators.

There's always the entrepreneurial option. Can you get your hands on a supply of methylamine?
No, my name is clearly Hispanic/Spanish, so I figured most people will think I speak Spanish anyways.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Xeom posted:

No, my name is clearly Hispanic/Spanish, so I figured most people will think I speak Spanish anyways.

Don't make this assumption. Include it as a skill.

The Baumer
Oct 22, 2008
Nobody will assume you speak Spanish because your name sounds Spanish idiot. Please do pursue a job as a rough neck so you can get straightened out.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Don't make this assumption. Include it as a skill.
I will do that.

The Baumer posted:

Nobody will assume you speak Spanish because your name sounds Spanish idiot. Please do pursue a job as a rough neck so you can get straightened out.

Care to expand on what exactly needs to be straightened out? Was my assumption so gross that you needed to talk poo poo?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Hey I was exactly in your shoes - graduated ChemE from Rice in 2009, was out of work forever, eventually found work in Baytown.

I was just incredibly annoying to my internship's manager. I called every week to ask if they'd lifted their 2009 hiring freeze yet, and it took em 14 months before they finally did. It sucked. The only advice I have there is to try to ignore condescending people asking why you don't have a job. It's not fuckin retail - the labor market is dominated by a few big players, there's no such thing as a chemical engineering startup or franchise, and it really helps to have an "in" unless you plan on winning the career fair resume lottery.

I don't think there's much of a operator->process engineer pipeline in the chemical industry. Some operators end up as reliability engineers, but that isn't typical. Entry level chemical engineering jobs can be as a plant engineer, or sizing PSVs, or sitting behind an oil company's desk loving around for 9 hours.

There IS an operator->process engineer pipeline in biotech, though. Put any thought into biotech? The US concentrations are in Boston/Cambridge and the Bay Area (and a bit in LA). Nice places, less dangerous industry, and you aren't stuck in Texas or Pittsburgh for 40 years.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

The idea isn't for there to be a natural progression. Its so I can network, and show people that I can work hard.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

Xeom posted:

I will do that.

Care to expand on what exactly needs to be straightened out? Was my assumption so gross that you needed to talk poo poo?

because when white people make assumptions like that we end up getting called assholes and racists so we just kinda have to play it safe

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Barrista posted:

Would you care to give me your plant name? Also maybe a reference?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Oil and Gas guy here. Honestly you should think about getting into process safety management (PSM/RMP) This field is about to explode (hehe) with upcoming changes to OSHA and EPA regulations. The net is going to be cast in a wider ney both in o&g as well as traditionally exempt industries, as a result of that fertilizer depot explosion in Texas. Chemical engineers are the best candidates in this area too.

You can always find work at gas plants or refineries in Houston, New Orleans, Cali, Minneapolis and like a million other places in the US. Don't go to Midland if you can help it. Place blows.

I work for a large midstream in EHS and know a bunch of folks who started out as Chem E majors and now work in safety, environmental or operations. Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

oxsnard posted:

Oil and Gas guy here. Honestly you should think about getting into process safety management (PSM/RMP) This field is about to explode (hehe) with upcoming changes to OSHA and EPA regulations. The net is going to be cast in a wider ney both in o&g as well as traditionally exempt industries, as a result of that fertilizer depot explosion in Texas. Chemical engineers are the best candidates in this area too.

You can always find work at gas plants or refineries in Houston, New Orleans, Cali, Minneapolis and like a million other places in the US. Don't go to Midland if you can help it. Place blows.

I work for a large midstream in EHS and know a bunch of folks who started out as Chem E majors and now work in safety, environmental or operations. Send me a PM if you want to chat.

I don't have plat. Would you care to add me on linkedin? or message me by email?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'll add you on linkedin. Email me at fourteenwaffles at gmail with a link to your profile.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

because when white people make assumptions like that we end up getting called assholes and racists so we just kinda have to play it safe

Also, your first interview for a job may or may not be with a white person, but I assure you that your zeroth interview will be done by a keyword-matching algorithm that parses your resume.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

oxsnard posted:

I'll add you on linkedin. Email me at fourteenwaffles at gmail with a link to your profile.

Sent you an e-mail yesterday.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
Don't go to Midland unless you absolutely have to. It's a horrible place and you will have a very hard time finding a place to live. They have waiting lists for apartments before they're even finished being built. My company now rents a furnished house because it was so hard to get a decent hotel room for company employees.

Baytown has tons of plants but there are also lots of choices for places to live depending on how far you're willing to drive.

If you have to choose between Port Arthur and Beaumont, go with Beaumont. There's nothing in Port Arthur.

Also look into South Texas (Eagle Ford Shale). My friend works at Koch Pipeline in Corpus Christi and they can't hire people fast enough.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Amaterasu posted:

Don't go to Midland unless you absolutely have to. It's a horrible place and you will have a very hard time finding a place to live. They have waiting lists for apartments before they're even finished being built. My company now rents a furnished house because it was so hard to get a decent hotel room for company employees.

Baytown has tons of plants but there are also lots of choices for places to live depending on how far you're willing to drive.

If you have to choose between Port Arthur and Beaumont, go with Beaumont. There's nothing in Port Arthur.

Also look into South Texas (Eagle Ford Shale). My friend works at Koch Pipeline in Corpus Christi and they can't hire people fast enough.

Yea I was recently told about west Texas by oxsnard. Do you think North Dakota would be any better? It seems like in ND most companies give you a place in a man camp.

Also I can assure you Koch Pipeline is extremely selective. I have a friend with a 3.55 who worked throughout his education(20+ hours a week) and he couldn't even get an interview. People who are inside the company always seem to think that there are so many people coming in, but they have no idea how much larger that rejection pile is.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
South Texas has been pretty busy, and fluent Spanish can be a big asset. I got hired straight out of college for a field engineer job with one of the big oilfield companies and it owns. 10/5 schedule, 6-figure pay after a 6-month training period, and I spent half of each 12-hour shift just napping in my truck. I'm working in the Eagleford and there's plenty of jobs.

Get into Completions if you can. More 12-hour shifts, less "you're out there until the job is done, fucker" shifts. Honestly I was expecting to work a hellish schedule to make a quick buck when I got into the industry, but it's really not bad.

Texas isn't bad either. Cost of living is low, the food is good, and the people are nice.

e: aw gently caress this thread was long-dead, wasn't it.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

The big service comoanies like Halliburton, Schlumberger, and Baker are always looking for field hands. For someone with an engineering background I'd recommend directional drilling/MWD, mud, cementing, frac, or wireline. There are lots of smaller companies but a lot of them prefer to have engineers already trained in a discipline. Also, look into facilities engineering jobs with E&P companies. Lots of ChemE's running around facilities.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:
I'm currently working as an officer on a product tanker - Not sure if the terminology is similar, but I'm one of the person in charge of dangerous liquid transfers on board. I don't make up the transfer plans, but I do direct the transfer on my watch. Does anyone know if there is a way to segue into a terminal job, or would I have to start from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Yo have you checked the price of oil lately? Oil jobs are scarce right now on the drilling side, because the price of oil is in a free fall.

• Locked thread