Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

KlavoHunter posted:

Thanks for letting me know about MWLL again, I got sick and tired of fighting through Gamespy the last time I tried to come back to it. The handy installer and the hosts file changes made it a breeze to get logged in.

Too bad nobody's playing after midnight. :saddowns:

suggest a playtime this weekend, and most of us will try to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The mercenary angle for Mechwarrior is pretty much the best one. You're not stuck fighting for any one house or clan and can make choices about what side you'd want to support and whom you'd want to screw over. You get to customize some neat mechs and go on whatever fun adventure fits you. All I want is a Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries :(

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Or Mechwarrior 5 anything for that matter.

MWO is such a horrible shitshow, but if someone just took the engine and crafted a decent single player game out of it we could have something grand.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

evilmiera posted:

All I want is a Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries :(

I think we all do, brother :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

evilmiera posted:

All I want is a Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries :(

I want MechCommander: Mercenaries. :(:hf::(

(Seriously, the MegaMek backend with prettified graphics and a unit management/contract completion game wrapper would see me playing basically nothing else)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The best part about MW:LL is that even if you totally suck, you can still have fun by running around and being an annoying rear end in a top hat in battle armor, the LRM Hawkmoth, or the flamer Savannah Master.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

The best part about MW:LL is that even if you totally suck, you can still have fun by running around and being an annoying rear end in a top hat in battle armor, the LRM Hawkmoth, or the flamer Savannah Master.

Is the Piranha in? I just want to unload twelve MGs in someone's face.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Achernar posted:

Is the Piranha in? I just want to unload twelve MGs in someone's face.

no piranha mech. there is a ton of other light mechs in LL, with decent loadouts.
Bubbacub wasn't kidding about how annoying the flamer hovercraft can be to other players.
once you've bought your mech or vehicle, if you stay in base for a few secs, you can customize it further with special ammo or different weapons.
or you can choose to rice out your elemental suit with a flamer, narc, or microlaser

and it looks like mech2.org is down again.
great resource site, hope it comes back up.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That's why they invented cached pages and the Wayback Machine, thank god.

A tip for anyone who's annoyed at inverted mouse control in MW2 courtesy of there:

quote:

To change this open input.map and alter this line

torso_tilt {
- mouse Up/Down
}

torso_tilt {
+ mouse Up/Down
}

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

yeah, cached pages & wayback machine keep the memory alive.

all the mech2.org hosted downloads are gone.
rip the tweaked netmech client with optimized mechloadout variants
rip hosted mechvm hotfixes
rip DOS mechwarrior 2: mercs patches

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It'll probably be back up sometime. If not I'm pretty sure some people have the files.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

yeah. i have the DOS stuff, but none of the windows mechvm/slug hook patch/hotfix files.
....because i don't run windows mechwarrior 2.

i am re-uploading the custom mech2.org mech variants. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B77F22wW05dEazNzY1RmQ3l3bUk/view?usp=sharing
extract the archive and copy the files into your ../install_path/MECH2/MEK folder.
file size is 18kb in a 7zip archive/extracted files take up a staggering 96kb of disk space.

the variant files will work in vanilla mechwarrior2 & netmech client, but will not work in ghost bear legacy or mw2:mercenaries.
i don't have any decent mw2:mercenaries mech builds, so if anyone wants to upload their builds for public use, please do.

vorenus
feel free to add that google drive link to one of the OP sections.
definintely add the Living Legends download links

lastly, is that Living Legends matchup happening again?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
According to a couple regulars, there are matches still held every weekend, so even if we can't get goons together there's at least something going on. In fact I can see about 11-12 players on a server as I post.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Mech2.org is back online, just checked now and it's all there. Crisis averted.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

tuluk posted:

yeah. i have the DOS stuff, but none of the windows mechvm/slug hook patch/hotfix files.
....because i don't run windows mechwarrior 2.

i am re-uploading the custom mech2.org mech variants. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B77F22wW05dEazNzY1RmQ3l3bUk/view?usp=sharing
extract the archive and copy the files into your ../install_path/MECH2/MEK folder.
file size is 18kb in a 7zip archive/extracted files take up a staggering 96kb of disk space.

the variant files will work in vanilla mechwarrior2 & netmech client, but will not work in ghost bear legacy or mw2:mercenaries.
i don't have any decent mw2:mercenaries mech builds, so if anyone wants to upload their builds for public use, please do.

vorenus
feel free to add that google drive link to one of the OP sections.
definintely add the Living Legends download links

lastly, is that Living Legends matchup happening again?

Done and done.

Right now LL guys are doing a long-term campaign thing, but you can basically drop in Saturdays and join. There's more info here, under the Chaos March threads. Pro is more players, con is for every chatty/friendly oldtimer there are half a dozen who are more interested in mercilessly stomping new players than idk maybe getting some people to stick around.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Games are being played right now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Vorenus posted:

Pro is more players, con is for every chatty/friendly oldtimer there are half a dozen who are more interested in mercilessly stomping new players than idk maybe getting some people to stick around.

This is probably true, but I just had a match earlier today where 2-3 guys on each team would run themselves directly into the enemy base (including me :v:). There's something about the swamp map that gets people into an lrm/arrow/longtom mood as well.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is MW4Mercs abandonware yet? I kind of want to play it again and I lost my discs probably 2-3 moves ago. :negative:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Is MW4Mercs abandonware yet? I kind of want to play it again and I lost my discs probably 2-3 moves ago. :negative:

Re-read the current MWO thread, or the archived MWO thread. I recall details regarding MW4 legal status being buried in those two threads.
Or stop being a moron and search the official battletech forums for the answer. 2nd idea: ask on the non PGI-moderated battletech/mechwarrior subreddits

Mech2.org being back online is sweet. I am going to be doing archival caching of it, in case of future outages.

My next mechwarrior project is to revisit Mechwarrior 3 on linux. It was runnable on Mint15 with WINE, but it had mouse tracking issues which i never managed to fix. Fixes for that issue involve injecting code into a custom build of WINE, then recompiling WINE.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

mech2.org is down again.

for people interested in local netmech or mw2: mercs online matches, DOSBOx can act as an IPX server.
only one person needs to host the DOSBOx IPX server, other people just need to type in the correct IP address & UDP port in the DOSBOx command window.
this is perfect for LAN parties.

DOSBOx IPX servers on the internet requires more work.
Port forwarding & publicly visible IP addresses need to be used, or you try can mess around with VPN software like hamachi.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MMPD Radick (admin for mech2) said they've been getting hammered for some reason over the past few days by god knows what.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeether posted:

MMPD Radick (admin for mech2) said they've been getting hammered for some reason over the past few days by god knows what.

i read MMPD Radicks post in the mech2 forums before the site went down. i figure it's being caused by something stupid and petty.
like DDOS attacks by someone who couldn't figure out the Mechwarrior 2 trivia questions when you attempt to register there.
is MMPD Radick on twitter or facebook?

it's bizzare how the people in the MWO thread keeps buying into MWO & MWO mech packs, despite PGI's track record at delivering content in MWO.
doesn't make sense to me, at all.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

tuluk posted:

i read MMPD Radicks post in the mech2 forums before the site went down. i figure it's being caused by something stupid and petty.
like DDOS attacks by someone who couldn't figure out the Mechwarrior 2 trivia questions when you attempt to register there.
is MMPD Radick on twitter or facebook?

it's bizzare how the people in the MWO thread keeps buying into MWO & MWO mech packs, despite PGI's track record at delivering content in MWO.
doesn't make sense to me, at all.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I'm actually pretty impressed with how long PGI has been able to string people along with a mediocre arena shooter and not add any new content. I think if a lot of dumb things like ghost heat were removed and battles made more varied (not just deathmatches with 0/1/5 bases) and meaningful (community warfare that is more than just leaderboards/forum flame wars) it would turn things around and MWO would be a good game, or at the very least give them a starting point to make it a good game. Unfortunately, as you stated, PGI's track record is horrible and anyone who buys their bullshit "just give us another chanceuntil December!" is delusional; they couldn't even be bothered to change the drat weapon values more than once during the "aggressive balancing" phase or make a decent UI that doesn't feel like you're being punished for re-configuring your loadout!

The whole Transverse debacle (in my opinion) tipped their hand; after that whole shitstorm we all of a sudden started seeing more mech packs announced/released in quick succession, promises of additional maps, free mechs for returning founders, and CW designs posted straight from Paul's most recent fever dream on to the MWO forums. Everything they've done in the past two months has been so transparent it's insulting.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 22, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Welp, uninstalled LL. Playing with goons is fun; playing with anyone else is just a virtual equivalent to a Muay Thai match with a Gracie.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

MW4:Mercs is part of the MekTek freeware thing that came out years ago from what I remember. It had Microsoft approval.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Vorenus posted:

Welp, uninstalled LL. Playing with goons is fun; playing with anyone else is just a virtual equivalent to a Muay Thai match with a Gracie.

outpiloted, out-gunned or just instantly legged?

I kinda felt that way when encountering LRM fire in living legends.
I was never able to get a long-range target lock with LRMs, but dudes on the opposing team were getting locks from 2 map grids away behind hills.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 23, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

tuluk posted:

outpiloted, out-gunned or just instantly legged?

I kinda felt that way when encountering LRM fire in living legends.
I was never able to get a long-range target lock with LRMs, but dudes on the opposing team were getting locks from 2 map grids away behind hills.

Outpiloted and outgunned.

A BIG part of the issue is, as said above, most of the players still active in LL have been playing this for years and are happy to mercilessly shred new players. Hell, you can get on TS and listen to the spergiest (the voices give it away, really) mock you when they kill you.

The other part is that the controls are so different, especially in the way Mechs respond. Your turn radius is massively affected by relative speed in a way that I've not experienced in MW4 or MWO, your weapons can't be held down for fire. That is, this is the only Mech game I've played where you have to wait for the weapon to cycle and then click rather than holding the button and reticle. Mech movement is...I can't even adequately describe it, it's just different. Add to that buggy jumpjets, getting stuck by small trees while big ones explode into wood chips, and five meter drops that leave your mech stunned like a deer in front of a Peterbilt.

It's not a bad game, it's just a very, very steep learning curve that requires extensive experience. It's hard to get that experience when 1v1 vs a single veteran opponent who you outweigh by 25+ tons gives you a shorter survival window than an XL Awesome charging into a full 12-man firing line in MWO. I wish that were hyperbole.

And oh Jesus the aerospace. Flying things in LL are really, really fun but after two hours in a VTOL I was excited at the prospect of keeping myself airborne and moving within 90 degrees of my intended flight path. Actually trying to use one to attack something is on par with schooling Neil deGrasse Tyson in a physics debate.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I really hated MW4 because the controls & mech movement felt so cartoony & inertia free to me. MW4:Mercs got uninstalled really fast in my case.
MWO: will never touch it or play it, so I'll rely on your statement that MWO controls & weapons fire are more MW4 friendly than the older mechwarrior games.

I didn't have any complaints about the LL weapons cycling & needing to click to fire...because again, it felt similar to MW3 & the older mechwarrior games.
LL mech handling felt ok to me. inertia of mechs felt more like driving a clumsy RV than a high performance car.
i agree that trees physics are annoying. slamming hovercrafts into stands of trees was a educational experience.

VTOL/aerospace: most of my piloting issues went away after i started using the pitch up/pitch down control keys, in combination with turns.
actual attacks on bases or mechs were harder since max throttle made it near impossible for target locks/manual aiming.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I had good fun learning by driving a demolisher II. They aren't expensive and can hilariously murder mechs by legging them with AC20s at point-blank range.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mechwarrior 3 fan site with a few mods: http://mech3mod.weebly.com/

sarna.net has download links for mechwar 3024/3025, if anyone is interested.
sarna.net also hosts multiple mechwarrior 3 patches & the v1.05 & v1.06 mechwarrior2: mercenaries patches.

haven't made much progress on my linux gaming+mechwarrior 3 project. linux virtual machines will be my testbed, still debating what distro's of linux i'll be using.
definitely gonna use the debian variants, linux mint 17(32/64 bit), and ubuntu14(32/64bit). fedora linux & SuSe Linux are possibilities too, because fedora & SuSe natively support newer WINE code than the debian variants.
mechwarrior 3+ freebsd testing is a distant possibility. however rough linux gaming can be, BSD gaming is infinitely rougher.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mechwarrior 3 linux testing update 1:
installed without issues on linuxmint17 kde(64bit). Wine in Win98 compatibility mode, applied MW3patcher.exe & MW3 radeon graphics fix.
experienced the same Wine mouse input issue that cropped up last year, which is: mouse input not detected at all.

WineHQ bug report 8854 effects multiple applications & games,including Mechwarrior 3.
this bug report has been open for 7 yrs, and it is essentially caused by newer Wine code being broken in regards to DirectX 6....which Mechwarrior 3 uses.

to get around this issue, i basically need to download the latest source code for Wine, create a test branch of Wine(so I can patch it), write some code/download a bunch of existing mouse input bugfixes, inject that code into my test branch of Wine, then compile that patched sourcecode into something that I can run.
obviously, that's a formidable amount of work, so i am going to see what kind of issues/fun-times i encounter with ubuntu14 & fedora 20 before doing any Wine source-code patching.

screenshot evidence of linuxmint17-kde+Mechwarrior3 on wine attempt 1: http://imgur.com/QXSBcXr
the tearing effect on the Wine virtual desktop is caused by me expanding the window to see what would happen.
usable virtual desktop stayed at 800x600 res.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 3, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I really wish I could play MW3 without having to drop 200 bucks on a lovely computer, buy every show tells me that's the only way.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Don Gato posted:

Man, I really wish I could play MW3 without having to drop 200 bucks on a lovely computer, buy every show tells me that's the only way.

it's quite possible to play MW3 on windows 7/modern hardware with some work, but i'm just a moron who really wants to get it running on linux.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/MechWarrior_3
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/13583-playing-mechwarrior-3-at-the-moment-to-pass-the-time/page__st__40 -look at the Lightfoot & Blood Legacy posts in that thread.

Since Mechwarrior3.org died, you need to grab the Mechwarrior 3 official patches from sarna.net.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 5, 2014

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This is the MW3 Radeon fix mentioned in the brown sea thread:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxP3PyWTrY3FaWd1V0pTemJmLWs/edit?pli=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I found out (via a guide for fixing Streets of SimCity, which also had a bouncing vehicle issue) you can limit the framerate in Mechwarrior 3 using FRAPS if you check "Lock framerate while recording" and limit the FPS to 30 or 60, then press and hold the capture key in game. Boom, no more bouncing APCs.

Also if you turn off DirectX 3D acceleration in the setup it seems to take off that stupid flickering on the HUD.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 18, 2014

• Locked thread