Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

Bills by 10. :colbert:

still salty, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

San Francisco (1-1) @ Arizona (2-0) - Battle of 2 garbage QBs carried by their defense

Please don't say mean things about Carson Palmer

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Chichevache posted:

Bills by 10. :colbert:

That does sound like a good day for the Chargers!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

still salty, huh

Big Bob is my copilot and I think your team is going to massively under perform after having a great week prior. This doesn't really have anything to do with my team, man.

Big Bob posted:

Chargers @ Bills

The Bills do it. EJ Manuel marches them down the field for a game winning touchdown – none of that field goal poo poo. The only uprights getting split are all the Miss Manuels running around Buffalo who are about to take a ride on Space Mountain. The Bills are 3-0 and every television in the world cuts to a close up of Chris Berman. His eyes roll back as he bellows in a dead tongue “NOBODY CIRCLES THE WAGONS” as the trumpets sound and begin the song that ends man’s reign.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I think the Chargers win by 14 because Philip Rivers is a much better quarterback than EJ loving Manuel

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Its possible the chargers get lucky two weeks in a row, but unlikely

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

yes, lucky, tell yourself that's what happened

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Your team performed very well last week. I don't think they'll perform as well this game and the Bills will be on fire.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Bill Bentley started at nickel corner against the Giants. He tore his ACL and was replaced by rookie 4th-rounder Nevin Lawson.

Nevin Lawson started at nickel corner against the Panthers. He dislocated his foot and was replaced by journeyman Cassius Vaughn.

Cassius Vaughn started at nickel corner in practice. He injured his ankle and will be replaced by signed-off-the-street Danny Gorrer.

WR Kevin Ogletree was also released and replaced with UDFA CB Mohammed Seisay, fresh off the practice squad.

If the Lions pass rush doesn't get to Rodgers, it will be a long and painful day (for the Lions).

As much as I kind of like Bentley and what I saw of Lawson. The Lions don't live and die by their secondary anyways.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jets gonna go up by the end of the half but then come out of the locker room trying to protect a lead against a team that has made adjustments and lose.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I think the Chargers win by 14 because Philip Rivers is a much better quarterback than EJ loving Manuel

Seriously. What on earth has EJ Manuel done to deserve any kind of confidence?

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Monday night looks poo poo for the bears:

Ozu posted:

Bears missing 3 starters on the offensive and defensive lines. Milliner is doubtful; Decker questionable but he did practice for the first time this week.

@ChicagoBears
Bears LB McClellin, DT Ratliff, DB McManis, G Slauson and C Garza have been ruled out of Monday night's game.

These injuries really suck. McClellin's played pretty well since the start of the season (especially vs San Fran) and will definitely be missed if Christian Jones is the next man up.

R.D. Mangles posted:

this is ego ferguson's time to shine

Ferguson's a nose tackle so Will Sutton is probably starting.

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

The Chargers played basically a perfect game at home in 100 degree heat against the Seahawks. Can they perform at a high level at 10AM on the road on the East Coast? Not as hard of an opponent but far more difficult circumstances. I believe in home field (esp for defense - the Bills strength) and think the game is basically a coin toss.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

This is a good argument. Go Bolts.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ramadu posted:

Seriously. What on earth has EJ Manuel done to deserve any kind of confidence?

I'm still trying to figure this one out myself.

30-17 Chargers

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Football's RNG is broken. At least the Bears wont have to worry about turning the ball over any.

quote:

Over the past 18 games, the Jets have forced 22 fumbles, recovering only three.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Lazerbeam posted:

Monday night looks poo poo for the bears:

These injuries really suck. McClellin's played pretty well since the start of the season (especially vs San Fran) and will definitely be missed if Christian Jones is the next man up.

Ferguson's a nose tackle so Will Sutton is probably starting.

Bostic is probably going to shift over to SLB while Williams takes over MLB in all formations. Kinda disappointing because Bostic has been playing a lot better than Williams at MLB over two games.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

The Bills are going to crash and burn today, the Chargers are going to roll through Buffalo on momentum alone.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 21, 2014

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Yeah that would probably be better. I've got mixed feelings about Bostic but it's probably best that he gets all the reps he can.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
DeSean Jackson is active today despite his shoulder injury and the team's medical recommendation that he not play.

He's gonna die today isn't he? :smith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Big Bob is my copilot and I think your team is going to massively under perform after having a great week prior.

lol

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Eh, good game. Your o line looked ridiculous.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Back just in time to break down the MNF Bears/Jets matchup before they take the field. Here are a couple plays from their games last week.

First, the Jets defense. Under Rex Ryan they're known for creating pretty exotic looks that both create pressure and disguise coverages better than most teams in the league. Here's one play from last week's game against Green Bay that confused Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense.

The look pre-snap:

The sugar look I talked about briefly last week, which has the 4 down linemen split wide and 2 linebackers over the center filling each A gap. The Jets have 7 players lined up on the line of scrimmage and 4 bailing out fairly deep in the secondary.

That could indicate anything to Rodgers, ranging from a heavy blitz with man coverage across the board and no help over the top, to cover 4, which would have all 4 of those secondary players taking a deep quarter of the field, commonly referred to as quarters coverage.

But instead the Jets rotate their coverages to a classic cover 2 look. Both linebackers threatening the A gap bail and go into coverage.

This floods the middle of the field with defenders while keeping their eyes in the backfield on Rodgers should he choose to scramble.

The Packers' play call intends to flood the middle of the field with a levels concept with 2 slants of varying depths between Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

Both backs intially step to the inside, as the Packers' offensive line protection call is having them account for the 2 linebackers threatening the inside, should they choose to blitz. They both bail into coverage as we saw before, so the two backs cross over and release into their routes.

Rodgers looks to Cobb on the more shallow slant, but sees the middle of the field flooded with Jet defenders. Rodgers slightly overreacts to some pressure and, having his primary read taken, scrambles out of the pocket to his right. If he had slightly better protection, or more importantly, trusted them more and sat in the pocket, you could see how Jordy Nelson (the top, deep slant) and receiver running a streak at the bottom would eventually put the safety circled in blue in a bind. But Rodgers leaving the pocket makes it almost impossible to throw back across the field, and he dumps the ball out of bounds to move on to the next play.

The Bears love to employ similar offensive ideas to the Packers with flooding the middle of the field, but they take it even farther. They run a LOT of bunch sets, which basically compress 2 or 3 receivers into a tight area and forces defenders to back off of them to avoid being picked. These bunches allow for clean releases and create confusion while also stretching the field laterally. It creates many, many open targets for Jay Cutler anywhere from 5-10 yards downfield. Cutler trusts in his arm strength more than perhaps any QB in the NFL. While that's usually a good thing, he does tend to force the ball to his primary target if he thinks there's a chance for a completion. Very often in this 49er game there were easy completions that he passed up on to instead look for the bigger play.

Here's one that worked. The look:

Alshon Jeffery and Martellus Bennett stack on top of each close to the formation on the left side, with Jeffery being on the line.

The 49ers are in a basic cover 3 look.

And here's Chicago's play design:

The stack allows Jeffery and Bennett to create space and clearly define a look for Cutler. Jeffery and the releasing Matt Forte from the backfield will cross at different depths and make it an even easier read.

Note the circled defender: LB Michael Wilhoite (#57), who I hadn't heard of before doing this and had to google. I'm assuming he's Navarro Bowman's replacement, and he struggled quite a bit this game. And in the NFL, teams will attack whoever they perceive as a weakness on a defense relentlessly.

Linking the Bears' routes to the coverage above, you can tell that they're going to put Wilhoite in a bind. Forte crosses underneath Wilhoite's zone while Jeffery crosses a few yards behind him. An experienced linebacker leaves Forte and continues to gain depth in his drop. A poorer player follows Forte and abandons his coverage. The comparison is particularly glaring as he's aligned next to all-pro Patrick Willis, who does his job properly and holds his ground here.

Here's an end zone view of Wilhoite getting a little too antsy.

Wilhoite looks to make a play on Forte and leaves his zone while Jeffery crosses behind him.

And about a second later, Wilhoite is even farther away from his zone while Cutler releases the ball as he gets crushed by Ahmad Brooks to the now wide open Jeffery.

Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery are both questionable for tonight, so taking shots down the field may be an issue for the Bears. The Jets front 7 can also generate pretty consistent pressure, so look for the Bears to continue more of the same tonight and try to spread the field laterally for constant 5-10 yard gains.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Menamino posted:

Back just in time to break down -----

This was an awesome post.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

effectual posted:

This was an awesome post.

Thanks, this thread kinda dies out late in the week so I didn't think many people got to see it. Was busy last week so couldn't really watch much game rewind til Sunday night. Should have some kind of effort post for the giants/skins game before tomorrow though!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Menamino posted:

Thanks, this thread kinda dies out late in the week so I didn't think many people got to see it. Was busy last week so couldn't really watch much game rewind til Sunday night. Should have some kind of effort post for the giants/skins game before tomorrow though!

Keep posting them, they are solid

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah goddamn you are killing it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Menamino posted:

Do you put these on Football And Rational Thoughts?

Also I would read this every day during the season.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 25, 2014

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do you put these on Football And Rational Thoughts?

Also I would read this every day during the season.

Yeah ehud invited me to do that so I copy them over to there as well

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Yeah goddamn you are killing it

I wish that was basically what this thread was, as the weeks go by it's getting more like a second N/V thread, but Menamino's posts (and the effort posts by a few other people, as well) make it worth reading.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

I wish that was basically what this thread was, as the weeks go by it's getting more like a second N/V thread, but Menamino's posts (and the effort posts by a few other people, as well) make it worth reading.

Maybe you should just read the blog.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chilichimp posted:

I don't know what that means. Is that what "Football and Rational Thoughts" is?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

I don't know what that means. Is that what "Football and Rational Thoughts" is?

Yeah, here's the link.

http://www.footballandrationalthoughts.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

maybe he shouldn't

• Locked thread