Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

The Time Dissolver posted:

The Wall is a decent album but imo the film (apart fromthe animation) is a giant wet fart especially compared to what Ken Russell did with Tommy which is basically the same story.

im so angry right now

Attitude Indicator posted:

pink floyd aren't played out. they have a shitload of songs. But yeah, I vomit whenever I hear Another brick in the Wall due to radio, tv and boring people playing it all the time.
p. much every time someone quotes Another Brick In The Wall pt.2 at me I want to kick their teeth in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
are we doing this again?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

unlimited shrimp posted:

im so angry right now

p. much every time someone quotes Another Brick In The Wall pt.2 at me I want to kick their teeth in

hey poster, leave my teeth alone

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

jackyl posted:

hey poster, leave my teeth alone

if you don't listen to Animals, you can't have any The Wall
how can you have any The Wall if you don't listen to Animals

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Yeah like I said I love the band but I'll pretty much skip all iterations of ABITW if I can. It's not bad, it's just so loving boring.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Wall is the most overrated Floyd album.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

facebook jihad posted:

somebody played dogs on a jukebox at a bar once. I didn't know whether to commend him or brain him.

I did this in a small town, deep country bar. I almost got beat up about 12 minutes in after all the hillbillies realized what was happening. I bought them all cigarettes and we became friends and listened to more Pink Floyd as a result.

"Welcome to the Machine" is my favorite stand alone Pink Floyd song.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

facebook jihad posted:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

facebook jihad posted:

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

facebook jihad posted:

ya but the nazi hammers in the movie were p cool imo

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

Rickycat posted:

ya but the nazi hammers in the movie were p cool imo

Great avatar + post combo!

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Echoes and Childhood's End are p good songs that nobody really listens to because they aren't part of the Dark Side through the Wall era Floyd.

Wots... Uh the Deal? is another one I like from Obscured by Clouds.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

facebook jihad posted:

mother and vera are okay songs

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
run like hell owns and gently caress u if u don't like the wall

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

jackyl posted:

Listening to Roger Waters menstruate for eighty minutes is not my idea of a good time

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

quote:

"Dogs" (originally composed as "You've Got to Be Crazy") is a song by English progressive rock band Pink Floyd, released on the album Animals in 1977. This song was one of several to be considered for the band's "best of" album Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd.

lol wut "progressive rock" ??

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

TheChaosPath posted:

Listening to Roger Waters menstruate for eighty minutes is not my idea of a good time

wow you are a bad person

e: not bad meaning good but bad meaning bad

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

facebook jihad posted:

this is true. But The Wall is also a very good album.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

jackyl posted:

It's not that I don't 'like' it, it's just not what I consider great Pink Floyd. Then again I was more into earlier Floyd and consider DSotM their masterpiece. The Wall was really where it became Waters' band and the album's high concept and attempts at arena/power rock makes it kind of tough to listen to.

Animals is pretty bad too for this reason but not quite as bad as the Wall. Still a good album, better than the wall imo.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
tangential: listen to Animals, then go watch Children of Men and tell me how many references you find to the album in the movie.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

haha if you're into "early" pink floyd and think dsotm is their masterpiece when it's obviously piper at the gates of dawn

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

nomadologique posted:

haha if you're into "early" pink floyd and think dsotm is their masterpiece when it's obviously piper at the gates of dawn

I agree, but saying Piper is the best Floyd album when it's so different from most of their other work makes you more of a Barrett fan than a Pink Floyd fan.

Piper is my favorite album by them, but it was a different band then.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
poor sidney :(

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

His name was Roger, his nickname was Syd THE MORE YOU KNOW

yeah Fearless is the best single song, Dogs second, Echoes third so that makes Meddle the best album despite Seamus

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

this is for jackyl

the wall and dark side of the moon own

hth

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Is actually Wots... Uh the Deal? Thanks

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkNOky3orsM

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

mookface posted:

Pink Floyd: bike

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SmW17QvUhRM

Bike
(Barrett) 3:22

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like.It's got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world. I'll give you anything, everything if you want things.

I've got a cloak it's a bit of a joke.
There's a tear up the front. It's red and black. I've had it for months. If you think it could look good, then I guess it should.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world. I'll give you anything, everything if you want things.

I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house.
I don't know why I call him Gerald.
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse.

I've got a clan of gingerbread men.
Here a man, there a man, lots of gingerbread men. Take a couple if you wish. They're on the dish.

I know a room full of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork. Let's go into the other room and make them work.

We could make a new thread out of making new verses for this song.

I know a nun with opposable thumbs.
She sticks her fingers in her bum because it feels good. She had a bag of dicks, but she swallowed it.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Waters can be cloyingly melodramatic at his worst, but he was still be best lyricist PF ever had.

Boinks posted:

I like Roger Water's solo studio albums alot. Except my copy of Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking has a black bar over the butt. :(

His solo albums pretty much demonstrate why Roger needed some other band members around telling him, "No really, this bit is poo poo. We're not doing that." But then he makes up for the stupid part by including something amazing.

Although the final three tracks of Pros & Cons in particular always seemed to me like the closure of the wrist-slashingly depressive Wall/Final Cut phase - Moment of Clarity has some really strong callbacks to the Wall.

Disconnecticus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
guns of brixton

• Locked thread