Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Octo1 posted:

I felt very proud of myself when I finally broke into the Archives, only to find out 20 hours later that the Lexconary (which I had somehow missed!) contained a cheat sheet :psyduck:

Speaking of that, do we ever get a sheet with the other words that aren't translated? I still can't solve the cypher in Twigroot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

MTV Crib Death posted:

Speaking of that, do we ever get a sheet with the other words that aren't translated? I still can't solve the cypher in Twigroot.

You will never get another "cheat sheet". People have successfully translated it though, and it's not complicated if you want to try to figure it out on your own. The new "words" aren't any more complex, you just have to think of what would make sense in context and try it. Or you could do what I did and look it up :v:

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
I'm sure it was already spotted, especially in the previous game, but the accidental or deliberate inclusion of the Windows XP shutdown sound in the ambient dungeon sound effects is having the most insane Pavlovian reaction on me.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

MTV Crib Death posted:

The sheet you get from the lexiconary is incomplete, but you can extrapolate from what's missing - especially if you look at the ordering of the new cypher words.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Thanks for the tips. I'll put on my Myst hat and get to it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
As an aside for you guys, I ran across a video today of a game called Vaporum that's in development that I'd currently describe as "Steampunk Grimrock." It might be worth watching if you're like me and loved Grimrock 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyXyYKhchYg

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ I hope I'm not the only one who wants to name his character Johnny Five Aces.

MTV Crib Death posted:

Thanks for the tips. I'll put on my Myst hat and get to it.

Keep at it! I love that puzzle :allears:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 19, 2015

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

fennesz posted:

^ I hope I'm not the only one who wants to name his character Johnny Five Aces.

Keep at it! I love that puzzle :allears:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Legend of Grimrock - Imagine four convicts on the edge of a pit...

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I finally got around to buying this game as I saw it was 40% off on Steam. Loved the absolute poo poo out of the first one, eventhough I mysteriously never got around to quite finishing it.

Played for a couple hours, and the game seems to be exactly what I expected: Like the original but even better! With this, and Pillars of Eternity coming out next week, I should have my RPG itches well and thoroughly scratched for some time. :)

Also, I can't get enough of that bloody main theme. It's just such an evocative, catchy tune and gets my adventure boner right up. One of the best game themes I've ever heard, I daresay.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Grimrock 1 was great but 2 really takes it to another level, it's one of the best games I've ever played - have fun!!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brackhar posted:

As an aside for you guys, I ran across a video today of a game called Vaporum that's in development that I'd currently describe as "Steampunk Grimrock." It might be worth watching if you're like me and loved Grimrock 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyXyYKhchYg

This looks like it's actually running in the grimrock engine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So what the hell is going on here? According to Steamspy Grimrock 1 sold ~800,000 copies and Grimrock 2 sold like 10 times less at around 90,000. Is this accurate? If so it doesn't bode well for a Grimrock 3. :smith:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Since Steam's economy is so discount-based there's not actually all that much correlation between sales and revenue. Grimrock 1 is half the price of Grimrock 2 and had a 75% discount at one point, whereas 2 has never been below 50% off (and that only once). It's not surprising to see the original's sales numbers much higher, and I wouldn't read anything negative into it.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011
Those LoG1 stats include the registered keys from the Humble Bundles, right?

LoG2 did not seem to have much visibility in the media around the time of the release. They either hosed up their marketing or just became victim of the indie game glut.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Fintilgin posted:

So what the hell is going on here? According to Steamspy Grimrock 1 sold ~800,000 copies and Grimrock 2 sold like 10 times less at around 90,000. Is this accurate? If so it doesn't bode well for a Grimrock 3. :smith:

I really hope that's not true. Grimrock 2 is a much better game than 1.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm not surprised... journalism, marketing, and publicity are such bullshit. Everything is about clicks, and the first game was easy to write clickable headlines for: "look at this OLD SCHOOL DUNGEON CRAWLER with BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS!" The second game is harder to write about. It's a sequel, so you need to reference the first game, and it's still old school, but less so, and it's no longer a dungeon crawler. This is the reason games like I Am Bread get made and get a ton of press. 2014 was also a bad year for games journalism in general. The new consoles kind of dominated the press coverage, the Wii U took off in a big way, and because of gamergate all of the articles about indie / pc gaming focused heavily on games that were either progressive or problematic. It annoys me because in my opinion Grimrock 2 was the best game of 2014, and possibly one of the best pc games of all time.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

rabatz posted:

Those LoG1 stats include the registered keys from the Humble Bundles, right?

LoG2 did not seem to have much visibility in the media around the time of the release. They either hosed up their marketing or just became victim of the indie game glut.

I bet it's a bit of both. It was probably hyped up a lot more for LoG1 simply because it was almost a direct revival of older roguelikes whereas LoG2 was just the newest iteration. Wait for steam summer sale, I bet a lot of copies get sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Polo-Rican posted:

the Wii U took off in a big way,

Must have missed this.

• Locked thread