Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Problem description: Three potentially related problems. 1) Must hit F11 at startup to select my Kingston SSD as boot device (this device is otherwise not present in the boot device select menu). 2) When sleeping for a while, computer seems to shut down. That is, it must boot back up (with F11) instead of resume. This doesn't happen for short sleeps. 3) GRUB menu no longer shows up to select operating system (Windows or Linux Mint). 1) and 2) happened at the same time. 3) happened a while ago.

Attempted fixes: I attempted to find the boot device in BIOS menu which selects boot device order. My HD shows up, but my SSD (OS drive) does not -- the F11 menu is still BIOS but just brings up a menu to select the boot device from, rather than any order or any other information. Crystal Disk Info says nothing about my SSD being in bad shape or anything.

Is it possible for me to find out via command line what caused the shutdown from sleep mode?

Recent changes: Don't recall any system changes which could cause this. My Windows 7 updates constantly failing to install might have happened around the same time.

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit. Linux Mint.

System specs: Kingston SSD. Seagate 1TB HDD. MSI motherboard P67-g45. nVidia GTX 560. 8GB corsair ram. Intel i5-2500k processor.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Did you install windows after grub or before?
What OS boots now that you don't have a grub boot menu anymore?

• Locked thread