Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Problem description: This must have started a few months ago, can't put a finger on exactly when since I don't use USB stuff a lot. When I connect some USB devices (flash drives, my XBox 360 controller wireless receiver), it takes a full minute before it detects and is usable. For my 360 controller receiver, if it's plugged in at boot, booting gets stalled while it waits to detect it. Looking in the event logs, there's no errors, warnings, or anything logged during the time period where the USB drive is waiting to be detected. Once it does detect, everything works just fine, and if I unplug it and plug it back in before rebooting, it detects it right away. One other note, it DOESN'T pop up the "Searching for Drivers" thing that often happens with brand new devices. All these devices I tested detect almost instantly on my little Win 7 x64 ThinkPad netbook.

I do use a USB mouse, but this doesn't seem to stall the boot or detect slowly like other USB devices will.

While a USB device is being detected, the HDD LED on my computer comes on and stays on, so I decided to check the Performance Monitor disk activity, curious if maybe it was an antivirus thing holding it up (I use MSE). While and only while the USB drive is being detected, the System process seems to be accessing a poo poo ton of .cat files : http://i.imgur.com/jHCVVQ2.jpg a small part of a very large list.

Update: As soon as I connect my flash drive, Device Manager sees a "USB Mass Storage Device" and says "No drivers are installed for this device." Once it finishes detecting and the Windows autoplay dialog box pops up, it changes to "This device is working properly." Definitely seems to be a driver thing...

Attempted fixes: Googling wasn't too helpful, but I did find something suggesting it could be related to a BIOS USB legacy mode. I turned that off and also installed the drivers for my board's USB 3.0 controller which previously I never used and had disabled in BIOS (this is separate from the Intel controller that governs the rest of the USB ports that I actually use). After that, things were working fine again but a few days later it went back to the usual behavior.

I feel like this might be some kind of driver-related thing, but I have no clue where to start trying to resolve it.

Recent changes: Not really. I install the critical Windows updates monthly of course, but otherwise I haven't made any changes that I can recall. Haven't even updated my video card drivers in the span of time when this started happening. No driver changes (that I know of), no hardware changes, haven't really touched anything in the last year or so.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 x64

System specs: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 board, Intel Core i5-750 processor, GeForce GTX560, two Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB HDDs, 8GB of DDR3-1333 RAM, Corsair HX650 PSU.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Sikreci fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
First, verify your hard drives both show Good in Crystal Disk Info, and if not post a screenshot of the drive showing Caution. If that's good, make sure all available Windows Updates have been installed, reboot if you install any, then run Disk Cleanup. Hit the "Cleanup System Files" button and check all the boxes, particularly those about removing old updates. It'll probably take quite some time to run, after it completes reboot. Also, do you have any Gigabyte motherboard software installed, particularly related to USB acceleration? If so, uninstall it and reboot. See if there's any difference in USB performance. I would also suggest running the MyDefrag System Disk Daily script to defragment and optimize your system drive. It will take some time, but should result in a noticeable general performance boost.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Alereon posted:

First, verify your hard drives both show Good in Crystal Disk Info, and if not post a screenshot of the drive showing Caution.
They're good.

quote:

If that's good, make sure all available Windows Updates have been installed, reboot if you install any, then run Disk Cleanup. Hit the "Cleanup System Files" button and check all the boxes, particularly those about removing old updates. It'll probably take quite some time to run, after it completes reboot.
Done and done. Cleanup seems to have made it detect slightly faster, but it still takes a lot longer than it should.

quote:

Also, do you have any Gigabyte motherboard software installed, particularly related to USB acceleration? If so, uninstall it and reboot. See if there's any difference in USB performance.
Nope, nothing like that.

quote:

I would also suggest running the MyDefrag System Disk Daily script to defragment and optimize your system drive. It will take some time, but should result in a noticeable general performance boost.
I defragged my disk a few weeks ago after uninstalling a bunch of old games. It's good to go.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

AceSnyp3r posted:

Problem description: This must have started a few months ago, can't put a finger on exactly when since I don't use USB stuff a lot. When I connect some USB devices (flash drives, my XBox 360 controller wireless receiver), it takes a full minute before it detects and is usable. For my 360 controller receiver, if it's plugged in at boot, booting gets stalled while it waits to detect it. Looking in the event logs, there's no errors, warnings, or anything logged during the time period where the USB drive is waiting to be detected. Once it does detect, everything works just fine, and if I unplug it and plug it back in before rebooting, it detects it right away. One other note, it DOESN'T pop up the "Searching for Drivers" thing that often happens with brand new devices. All these devices I tested detect almost instantly on my little Win 7 x64 ThinkPad netbook.

I do use a USB mouse, but this doesn't seem to stall the boot or detect slowly like other USB devices will.

While a USB device is being detected, the HDD LED on my computer comes on and stays on, so I decided to check the Performance Monitor disk activity, curious if maybe it was an antivirus thing holding it up (I use MSE). While and only while the USB drive is being detected, the System process seems to be accessing a poo poo ton of .cat files : http://i.imgur.com/jHCVVQ2.jpg a small part of a very large list.

Update: As soon as I connect my flash drive, Device Manager sees a "USB Mass Storage Device" and says "No drivers are installed for this device." Once it finishes detecting and the Windows autoplay dialog box pops up, it changes to "This device is working properly." Definitely seems to be a driver thing...

Attempted fixes: Googling wasn't too helpful, but I did find something suggesting it could be related to a BIOS USB legacy mode. I turned that off and also installed the drivers for my board's USB 3.0 controller which previously I never used and had disabled in BIOS (this is separate from the Intel controller that governs the rest of the USB ports that I actually use). After that, things were working fine again but a few days later it went back to the usual behavior.

I feel like this might be some kind of driver-related thing, but I have no clue where to start trying to resolve it.

Recent changes: Not really. I install the critical Windows updates monthly of course, but otherwise I haven't made any changes that I can recall. Haven't even updated my video card drivers in the span of time when this started happening. No driver changes (that I know of), no hardware changes, haven't really touched anything in the last year or so.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 x64

System specs: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 board, Intel Core i5-750 processor, GeForce GTX560, two Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB HDDs, 8GB of DDR3-1333 RAM, Corsair HX650 PSU.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Being as it's reproducible, do you mind downloading Process Monitor? Close any other open programs you have running (browser, media player, etc.) and then run that with the default filters and it should begin tracking events; then plug in a USB device, and when the device is fully recognized click on the spyglass icon to stop tracking events:

Then go to File > Save... and save the filtered events as a PML file. If it takes a full minute to recognize the USB device the file will be fairly large, so compress it into a ZIP folder and upload it somewhere like Google Drive.

What I'm hoping to do is see if anything jumps out of the list of events, and possibly comparing side-by-side with my own events to see if there are notable differences.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

AceSnyp3r posted:

I defragged my disk a few weeks ago after uninstalling a bunch of old games. It's good to go.
Note that it's important you use the MyDefrag program to see a performance increase, using the Windows disk defragmenter would not help. The Windows disk degragmenter is optimized to move as little data as possible to reduce runtime, but that also means it doesn't compact files at all or rearrange them much, which is the main performance benefit from defragmentation utilities.

Basically, my observation was that your system was taking a long-rear end time to chew through the catroot folder containing a shitton of .cat files, looking for compatible drivers. My suggestions were to see if the hard drive was slow because it was failing (not a problem), reduce the number of .cat files that need to be checked with Disk Cleanup, then pack the remaining files into a smaller space with MyDefrag so they are faster to access. That last step is what "unlocks" the potential performance gains from clearing out the files.

You might also want to run the CCleaner disk cleanup program to clear out more junk before running MyDefrag. Do pay attention to the application tab and only check the boxes for stuff you want to remove, for example I always keep my browser cookies and history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Well things inexplicably started detecting immediately again. I'll post a ProcessMonitor log once it goes back to its old behavior.

I'll give MyDefrag a shot too, reading about it does sound way better than the default Windows 7 defragger.

I am curious as to WHY my computer would be churning through tons of files looking for a driver though, when I've used the device multiple times and a driver should already be installed for it...

• Locked thread