Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I want to watch an anime with really great tournaments in it. Tournaments are the best for seeing lots of special attacks in a row.

Here are some great animes with cool tournaments that you can enjoy, and maybe you can help me watch some more tournaments too.

Dragon Ball- a lot of good adventuring before the tournaments, but it always comes back to a great tourny with classic fighting action

Yu Yu Hakusho- a whole arc called The Dark Tournament? sign me up!!

Ping Pong- Good tournaments and a lot of feels as well. A hero appears...

G Gundam- The most tournament oriented Gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I want to watch an anime with really great tournaments in it. Tournaments are the best for seeing lots of special attacks in a row.

Here are some great animes with cool tournaments that you can enjoy, and maybe you can help me watch some more tournaments too.

Dragon Ball- a lot of good adventuring before the tournaments, but it always comes back to a great tourny with classic fighting action

Ping Pong- Good tournaments and a lot of feels as well. A hero appears...

G Gundam- The most tournament oriented Gundam

gundam build fighters had a tournament in it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Unfortunately that was last recommended to me by the recently deceased Twisty and is surely cursed

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

chihayafuru had lots of tournaments but i am pretty sure you ahve already seen that.

haikyuu!! was another good sport show from this year that had a tournament in it

----------------

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I can't speak to what type of anime you enjoy for certain, so I'll just use the shotgun approach and rattle off the anime tournaments I know:

Naruto: Chuunin exam arc early on is based around a tournament for the finals, and there is a more open-field type of team-tournament leading up to that. It's also where the series starts to show off a more diverse array of special techniques.

Hunter X Hunter: Another one with early tournaments, with the initial exam using a tournament structure and a "tower of death" type tournament grounds not long after that.

Prince of Tennis: Multiple tournaments throughout the series. Tennis with over-the-top special attacks.

Baby Steps: Tennis anime grounded much more in reality than PoT. May not be up to proper tournaments yet, since the anime is relatively recent.

Eyeshield 21: American Football anime with matches almost exclusively taking place as part of a tournament. Recommended solely based on THE OPTION PASS being a secret technique.

I feel certain that I've seen good tournaments outside of shonen/sport animes, but they just aren't coming to mind right now.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

The Dark Tournament is a million episodes long and kills whatever momentum the show had beforehand. The only worthwhile segments are the fights against creepy transforming parasite Toguro and ripped bloomin onion Toguro. It's telling that the best episodes of YYH are at the very beginning, while the main character is dead

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Actually, idiot bitch, The Dark Tournament is tight and epi 51 is like the best episode so...

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I hope you are watching YYH dubbed. Kuwabara makes it worth it.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Zodar posted:

The Dark Tournament is a million episodes long and kills whatever momentum the show had beforehand. The only worthwhile segments are the fights against creepy transforming parasite Toguro and ripped bloomin onion Toguro. It's telling that the best episodes of YYH are at the very beginning, while the main character is dead

ur loving dumb

----------------

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Fat_Cow posted:

I hope you are watching YYH dubbed. Kuwabara makes it worth it.

I can never pick between The Fighting Headband of Love speech or just the line "A mulberry is a tree, but Kuwabara is a man!" with a backdrop of petals that are clearly not from a mulberry tree

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I wish they would make one more DBZ movie where they do the World Tournament and this time everyone just fights their matches and no one attacks and I just get to see the homies square off

Zodar
May 21, 2007

YYH has a very good dub, and a very good supporting cast. Kuwabara fights were the only thing keeping me watching the Dark Tournament when I decided to revisit that show, and eventually I just couldn't handle 20 more eps of one-on-one fights against disposable weirdos in the same location. Gomen, all

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Kurama's fight against the Toguro Team Vampire Bomb Guy is sweet because the vampire keeps hitting on him and Kurama has to turn into his true furry pride self to finally be powerful enough to taste the embrace of another man

Karasu: You fear my touch... but perhaps you also wish to know it?
Kurama: I can't let him touch me... not until my transformation is complete

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hit manga shokugeki no soma has been in an tournament arc for the last half year and that's with weekly issues. its about cooking but there's hot babes and jojo references

coathat
May 21, 2007

There are currently two Overclocking/Gaming tournaments in the hit competitive Overclocking manga 87 Clockers.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Read Dragonball Multiverse

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I wish they would make one more DBZ movie where they do the World Tournament and this time everyone just fights their matches and no one attacks and I just get to see the homies square off

I think they were talking about more movies after Battle of Gods, this would be a really cool one. I still hate that the one in Buu Saga got hosed up.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Can we give Steel Ball Run an honorable mention? It's a race, not a tournament so IDK.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
No, and I almost went to the Jojo thread to say that I thought there should be a tournament arc but actually everything Araki does is good and just

coathat
May 21, 2007

Slam Dunk is tournament centric and awesome.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zodar posted:

if you didn't enjoy the time Yusuke headbutt-battled against a drunken australian then I don't know how you enjoy life.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Davincie posted:

hit manga shokugeki no soma has been in an tournament arc for the last half year and that's with weekly issues. its about cooking but there's hot babes and jojo references

also Yakitate Japan is basically just a series of bread-baking tournaments but after the Monaco Tournament please stop reading/watching because then it shits itself

GorfZaplen posted:

if you didn't enjoy the time Yusuke headbutt-battled against a drunken australian then I don't know how you enjoy life.

I think you mean the time Yusuke headbutt-battled against a drunken Norio Wakamoto.

Edit: But seriously if you didn't enjoy literally every single part of Yu Yu Hakusho I don't know what to tell you.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dark Tournament is a joke compared to the one that happens later in the series

All the main characters lose and the winner is some one-off guy who only showed up for about 10 minutes previously.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Street Fighter II V has a tournament in it. Dunno if the show is actually good. It probably isn't, but I watched the poo poo out of it when I was younger. Also Ryu and Ken get naked and swim in a pool together.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Baki the Grappler has a couple tournaments.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

No, and I almost went to the Jojo thread to say that I thought there should be a tournament arc but actually everything Araki does is good and just

I figure the survivor fights in stone ocean were as close to a tournament as could be.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
in Jojolion atm there are cool bugfighting battles... some of the best ive seen. Makes me wonder is there a bug fighting manga with real detailed information about real bugs and their fighting capabilities?

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

One Piece's current arc had a short battle coliseum tournament thing, it was pretty good, but you'll have to read hundreds of chapters of a really fun manga to get there.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Hajime No Ippo has tons of tournaments and shirtless buff men.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can never pick between The Fighting Headband of Love speech or just the line "A mulberry is a tree, but Kuwabara is a man!" with a backdrop of petals that are clearly not from a mulberry tree

Portuguese dub had "the flower must be from the cherry tree and the man must be Kuwabara!"

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
well Kuwabara means mulberry field...

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Budget Cop posted:

Hajime No Ippo has tons of tournaments and shirtless buff men.

Oive finished this one but especially recommend Ippo Vs the meat eating predator guy

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Ultimate Tournament Fighter Sasahara had a pretty good tournament in it, somewhere.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My bad opinion is that the decade-long tournament in Battle Angel Alita: LO was kickin' rad but then I didn't read that manga until it was almost over.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Baki the Grappler has a couple tournaments.

i liked that the Chinese tournament started as one but turned halfway into a china vs japan and america team match.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the dark tournament on yyh was cool as gently caress but the tournament to become king of makai was kinda lame and ended as a copout

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It turned out for the best. Yusuke didnt really want to be king of demons, he just wanted to fight and make it illegal to eat people. Then Keiko gives him a kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I think its good that Yusuke and his pals dont have to battle forever

• Locked thread