Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open container
Sep 16, 2008

i feel poor just looking at that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

thathonkey posted:

thanks for showing us what a drying rack looks like

It's qctuallty called a 'clothes horse'.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone angel VCs interested in my disruptive drying rack with temperature & humidity sensors and email updates when your clothes are ready?

DriHngr

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Surely you can swipe plastic at laundromats? You really have to feed them quarters like some sort of neanderthal? There's gotta be an app for that.

Tumblr is taken, but maybe Washr?

My idea to disrupt laundry culture is called Quartr. Its an app that will bring you a roll of quarters via UAV drone for $25.

And Washr/Dryr, a smart app that will sync with your appliances and count down to when the laundry is finished.

Now where's my sweet VC money?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

red19fire posted:

My idea to disrupt laundry culture is called Quartr. Its an app that will bring you a roll of quarters via UAV drone for $25.

And Washr/Dryr, a smart app that will sync with your appliances and count down to when the laundry is finished.

Aaaahhhh I can't remmeber the name but somebody already did a quater delivery app.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

red19fire posted:

Dryr is copyrighted. :colbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

opus111 posted:

Aaaahhhh I can't remmeber the name but somebody already did a quater delivery app.

It was called Washbound

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:vince:

open container
Sep 16, 2008

opus111 posted:

It's qctuallty called a 'clothes horse'.

qctuallty, Clothes Horse is the leading sizing and fit solution for apparel e-commerce retailers.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Hang drying has a lot of advantages, but most people lack drying capacity. Introducing HngDry. When you have excess drying capacity you put it on the HngDry market place, and when it is used you get HngPoints that you can later exchange to use someone else's drying capacity. You can also buy HngPoints for currency or bitcoins.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

http://valleywag.gawker.com/the-laundry-quarters-startup-is-dead-1596481798

They claimed the startup failed because they couldn't find the right company to process credit card payments for the subscription service.

quote:

Despite Washboard being completely legal, Washboard violated our payment processor's terms of service. They graciously gave us 14 days to find someone else. Sadly, most payment processors had the same terms of service.

I looked into payment processors that would accept us and even found a few (with shockingly decent rates!) but the truth is it would have taken significant time and energy to switch processors. While I do believe Washboard solved a real problem for real people, I didn't think there was really an opportunity to grow Washboard beyond quarter delivery.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

etalian posted:

lol

They claimed the startup failed because they couldn't find the right company to process credit card payments for the subscription service.
Wow, I couldn't fathom people disliking to buy $20 for $27.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

etalian posted:

lol

So they didn't actually READ the TOS for their payment processor before launching? That seems pretty slapdash for a real company

open container
Sep 16, 2008
The real reason they shut it down:

"It's funny because I built this thing because I didn't want to go to the bank anymore, but right now I'm just going to the bank and requesting quarters as I need them."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Speaking of bubbles backed in the day, FuckedCompany.com was a really funny website for covering startup stupidity in the past.

It was basically a site in which employees could submit reasons why the company was doomed to fail or had a fundamentally bad business model.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Germstore posted:

Hang drying has a lot of advantages, but most people lack drying capacity. Introducing HngDry. When you have excess drying capacity you put it on the HngDry market place, and when it is used you get HngPoints that you can later exchange to use someone else's drying capacity. You can also buy HngPoints for currency or bitcoins.

Wait I think we're on to something here. Maybe the drying rack should have a bank of fans to speed up drying time. also it needs to connect to your smartphone via bluetooth and have moisture sensors for real-time updates. And it should learn how dry you like your clothes to be.

The unit should cost like $7000 and use waste heat from bitcoin mining to dry your clothes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

It was called Washbound

Oh my god. Oh god. Im dying

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

Speaking of bubbles backed in the day, FuckedCompany.com was a really funny website for covering startup stupidity in the past.

It was basically a site in which employees could submit reasons why the company was doomed to fail or had a fundamentally bad business model.

Whatever happened to them, is thrte an archive of it anywhere?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

Whatever happened to them, is thrte an archive of it anywhere?

They eventually got bought out by Techcrunch, it was sort of hit or miss with lots of standard boring chaff-like rumors on layoffs/mass firings.

Best part of the website was when it roasted bad dotcom startup concepts.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.fuckedcompany.com

They had a hall of dead startups here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040616155105/http://www.fuckedcompany.com/hof/

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 10, 2015

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

https://web.archive.org/web/20011012224657/http://www.fuckedcompany.com/ posted:

Apparently these were the people wiring all the Starbucks with wireless Internet where you could just come in with your laptop and be online. Actually a cool idea...

Yeah, it would be pretty cool if one day places like Starbucks had publicly-accessible wifi networks.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

etalian posted:

They eventually got bought out by Techcrunch, it was sort of hit or miss with lots of standard boring chaff-like rumors on layoffs/mass firings.

That kind of news wasn't as boring when it was live and you were actually checking it every day to find out if you were possibly getting laid off that day, but it would be dull to read now. Plus the amount of massive failures that were happening every day was kind of mindblowing when you followed it real time.

quote:

Rumor has it the Internet's first online law firm, SelectLaw.com, will be closing its doors this Friday, March 30. Kind words from an FC reader: "The company was hosed in the rear end by an rear end in a top hat consultant who put together a 90-day plan that included a golf trip to Palm Springs to celebrate the funding he was going to get the company. The rear end in a top hat disappeared and was never seen again. I feel like shoving a 9-iron up his rear end." Beautiful.

quote:

Rumor has it around one-third f Newport.com employees were shown the door this morning. From one employee, "it looked like the scene from Saving Private Ryan where everyone is wandering on the beach as they storm ashore."

quote:

Rumor has it Groundswell had another round of layoffs, and will be closing their LA, San Diego and NYC offices. Rumor also has it there will also be a significant change in upper management (read: buy bye founders). It should also be noted that apparently they are down to their last $2 million of their inital $100 million VC round -- and over $10 million alone was lost on terrible real estate deals for inflated office space... that they never used.

quote:

So this is funny. Here's an article from three months ago about this "teenage wiz-kid" who was writing some super-duper filtering software for Napster. Here's an article from yesterday about how that software isn't compatible with the version of Napster you have (forcing everyone to upgrade), how it blocks "even the most obscure, uncopyrighted works" (the legal ones), and how it essentially destroyed Napster. buh bye.

quote:

"It is unfortunate that today’s economic environment is not supportive of new business models such as Handtech," says HandTech.com's site. Yeah it's unfortunate that these days, unlike the good ol' days of '98, your business needs to make actual *money* before you can cash out and move to the bahamas... wuddup wit dat?

Handtech was essentially a pyramid scheme for selling computers instead of beauty products or energy drinks.

quote:

Handtech’s model was based on the idea that non-tech-savvy people would rather buy computers from a trusted friend who would then be available to help them with technical difficulties and recommend software.

There were basically like 30-40 news items of layoffs, closings and other spectacular fails every single day.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

red19fire posted:

Wait I think we're on to something here. Maybe the drying rack should have a bank of fans to speed up drying time. also it needs to connect to your smartphone via bluetooth and have moisture sensors for real-time updates. And it should learn how dry you like your clothes to be.

The unit should cost like $7000 and use waste heat from bitcoin mining to dry your clothes.

My mining rig calculates 8 terahash and dries 5 millisocks per second.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lowly posted:

That kind of news wasn't as boring when it was live and you were actually checking it every day to find out if you were possibly getting laid off that day, but it would be dull to read now. Plus the amount of massive failures that were happening every day was kind of mindblowing when you followed it real time.

Handtech was essentially a pyramid scheme for selling computers instead of beauty products or energy drinks.

There were basically like 30-40 news items of layoffs, closings and other spectacular fails every single day.

Have we learned nothing?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

etalian posted:

It was called Washbound

i'm the blurry group of mostly-white millennials chillin in their expensive-rear end soma loft while laundry wench serves up a fresh basket of mostly-whites

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Howard Beale posted:

i'm the blurry group of mostly-white millennials chillin in their expensive-rear end soma loft while laundry wench serves up a fresh basket of mostly-whites

LaundryWench would be a good startup idea.

Have clean techie clothes delivering to your loft by a girl dressed as a medieval tavern wench.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Hang drying is king you eurocentric goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

LaundryWench would be a good startup idea.

Have clean techie clothes delivering to your loft by a girl dressed as a medieval tavern wench.

Makng your worjers dress in retarded uniforms sounds like something bthose companies would actually do

• Locked thread