Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hey all, I'm visiting Florida for 2 weeks in October and it looks like a few days in Orlando might be possible and doing a day in Universal Studios with Halloween Horror Nights sounds like it might be a blast. I'm not really a rollercoaster and similar kind of guy, but the haunted houses sound good and it's bound to be a lot more fun than halloween where I live (nothing happens really).

So I'm trying to find recommendations from people as to whether they've been before/this year and whether they had a good time, and also the best ticket prices to get?

My girlfriend is a Florida native so on the official site I'm getting the following deal:

2x Single Park Single Day Tickets $192
2x Express Plus Pass $99.98
2x Halloween Horror Nights Tickets $84
Total inc taxes $400

There was mention of Express tickets for HHN on the pages, but I don't seem to get this as an add on option for the cart? Does this seem like the best way of getting tickets, as it's a fair amount of money and I'd jump at a chance to pay any less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I'd recommend going to Islands of Adventure in the day and HHN at night. Express passes won't do much on the weekdays in October, but could be worth it on weekends. Exception to this might be HHN express passes close to Halloween (like that week). It's been a few years since I've gone, but the express passes for HHN might not be available on low attendance nights since they'd effectively be worthless.

Hit the Bill and Ted Show. It's cheesy and stupid as hell, but if you just go along for the ride, it's pretty much guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks! I love Bill and Ted so that was definitely on the list. I found the Orlando Insider site and they seem to have a big tip list for how to get your moneys worth at HHN at least.

I'd actually prefer to just go to Universal Studios itself as opposed to Islands of Adventure. I think that's probably too much of a theme park for me, and I've never been one for roller coasters and the like and my head can spin out a bit when I'm being flung around (heck I can have a dizzy spell just sitting at my desk!). The Universal ones look a bit more relaxed rather than designed to break my brain, and I've never been before. We'd only have a single day to do it really, as going to Orlando is a bit of a last minute addition to the trip.

Will look into not needing express pass for the main park that day though, my girlfriend said she'd only do the park with an express pass after visiting a bunch of times over the years but it's a good chance she never went around this time and it's not as needed.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
This time of year you probably won't need the daytime express pass. You should be able to get add on tickets for HHN cheaper if you already get the daytime tickets. Look for stay & scream or add on tickets. If you go on a Saturday be prepared for huge crowds for horror nights.

Universal as a whole only has 4 big coasters, 2 at islands, and 2 at universal studios. Although mummy is pretty tame, and Gringotts in the new harry potter area barely qualifies as a coaster (But the ride itself is pretty awesome, as is the land). Diagon alley won't be open for HHN, so do that during the day for sure, it's the best immersive theme land anywhere. The only thing you won't be able to do with a single park pass is the Hogwart's Express train.

Horror nights will be CROWDED, take advantage of the fact you'll have daytime passes and stay in one of the holding areas (Either by the Finnegan's Irish Bar & Restaurant across from Mummy or by Lucy at the front of the park) You'll be able to hit up 3 of the haunted houses or so before the crowds get crazy, and you may avoid burning some of those express passes early. (One per house) You can eat at the restaurant menu here during the transition, but get there around 4 - 4:15 if you want to get a table, they'll lock everyone in at 5, scan tickets, and then let you into the preview houses around 6 (A full 30 minutes before they let the people at the front gate in) The area in front of Mummy is the Purge scare zone and occasionally they'll come through in a big wave and do a mini show there.

Bill & Ted is a mixed bag, but it has some seriously good moments in it (The take on Frozen is gold).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks as well. Yeah I think the HHN price in the OP was the discounted rate due to buying with a daily pass. GF says we can hold off on the Express passes and pick them up on the day if needed so that's definitely a great piece of advice from the both of you - $100 saving nothing to sniff at! Also takes away the slight temptation to get an on site hotel (to get the free express passes) rather than save a ton of cash and go to a $30 place down the road.

Tips sound good for going from Universal to HHN, I've been following (and will print out) the guide on Orlando Insider too as it sounds like they scout the place to get an efficient tour of HHN at least - http://www.orlandoinformer.com/universal/hhn-2014-touring-plan/ . Didn't realise we'd have chance to do 3 houses before people come in, that's pretty ace. Think I'm most intrigued by the Halloween and Aliens vs Predators ones. Don't think AVP looks quite as awesome as going to Alien War in London like my friends did when we were 13, but should be a blast.

I'll definitely be copying and pasting your post to my phone in preparation, cheers again!

• Locked thread