Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

try doing any pvp as an australian, it's no fun at all, the ping makes it unplayable

unless you enjoy getting backstabbed from 20 metres away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Go human and get invaded a bunch it's fun.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

cat doter posted:

try doing any pvp as an australian, it's no fun at all, the ping makes it unplayable

unless you enjoy getting backstabbed from 20 metres away

American, australian, european, white, black, or normal, we all get lagstabbed the same way

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

Putty posted:

American, australian, european, white, black, or normal, we all get lagstabbed the same way

gently caress you putty!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The best mushroom extremest.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

It really is the best game

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Kawalimus posted:

Here's another tip if you're new and having trouble. Start a character and get your strength to like 16(I think), go to the graveyard where those skeletons are by firelink shrine and pick up a sword called the Zweihander. You can 2-hand this thing at that level of strength and it's real good and even better when you upgrade it. It can help you through the game. Just learn to roll and dodge enemy attacks.

That or the winged spear that's in the same area. Spears make a lot of enemies pretty trivial as you can block while you poke at them. I usually carry a spare weapon when I main spear just because some enemies are difficult with it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
As cool as Dark Souls was, it was horrible at explaining itself. It gets really fun and very rewarding when you start taking giant dudes out, but the game sucks at teaching the player anything.

The DS thread in games is a good start and I was able to get 99% of my gameplay issues/questions solved there.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

protip: buy the most expensive edition of Bloodborne there is

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

if you don't wield the biggest two-hander you can find and man mode everything in your path you are doing it wrong

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ekster posted:

if you don't wield the biggest two-hander you can find and man mode everything in your path you are doing it wrong

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ekster posted:

what does "man mode" mean?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Are there bows?

I prefer bows.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yep, and crossbows. They can be pretty good too, better for some fights than others.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Kawalimus posted:

Here's another tip if you're new and having trouble. Start a character and get your strength to like 16(I think), go to the graveyard where those skeletons are by firelink shrine and pick up a sword called the Zweihander. You can 2-hand this thing at that level of strength and it's real good and even better when you upgrade it. It can help you through the game. Just learn to roll and dodge enemy attacks.

I already suggested that. :colbert:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Stuntman posted:

imo getting right up in their grill and dodging/parrying any attacks

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Stuntman posted:

Ekster posted:

imo getting right up in their grill and dodging/parrying any attacks

you just walk up to something in heavy armor and swing at it until it dies. don't even try to dodge or block

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I played both Dark Souls 1 and 2 but I can't say I think they are great games. I play through them mostly for the bossfights, honestly. The rest is not great

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
did someone say dark souls?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's a rhythm game mostly op the people who act like it's too hard are hamming it up and the people who say it sucks are hipsters hth

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

did someone say dark souls?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hasnt that game been out for like half a year lmao

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
There are 2 kinds of people on this world.
Those who have beaten Dark Souls, and those who can still feel excitement at anything in life.

When you beat this game, you basically ascend to a higher form of existence where everything becomes moot and shallow, trivial to your superior form, failing to deliver that electrifying bolts of extasy you felt each time you finally beat a boss. After you kill the final one, and end the game, the realization sets in that nothing in life will ever feel so good as beating this goddamn loving game and you can now either kill yourself or try to move on.

If you can live through this revelation of utter despair, you will be stronger than before, but also unable to feel joy.

You will become Hollow.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I regret trading in DS1 when I got DS2

DS2 sucks

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Moola posted:

I regret trading in DS1 when I got DS2

DS2 sucks

trading in video games, what did they give you like $1?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

trading in video games, what did they give you like $1?

about $17

figured id never play it again...

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Putty posted:

what

don't forget your father mask

and fire/choas upgrade it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

No. 6 posted:

I just kept killing the same poo poo over, and over, and over while dying quite a bit.

Dark Souls in a nutshell.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Moola posted:

about $17

figured id never play it again...

well that's actually not bad, its selling for $20 on steam

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

When you beat this game, you basically ascend to a higher form of existence where everything becomes moot and shallow, trivial to your superior form, failing to deliver that electrifying bolts of extasy you felt each time you finally beat a boss. After you kill the final one, and end the game, the realization sets in that nothing in life will ever feel so good as beating this goddamn loving game and you can now either kill yourself or try to move on.

This but about GOD HAND.

Dark Souls was fun to finish but I feel like O&S is the difficulty peak for a first playthrough. Everything after that is kind of coasting towards the finish.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

There are 2 kinds of people on this world.
Those who have beaten Dark Souls, and those who can still feel excitement at anything in life.

If you can live through this revelation of utter despair, you will be stronger than before, but also unable to feel joy.

You will become Hollow.

thats why you play it again using a different build. then again using only fists. then again using only bows.

and again using only a guitar hero peripheral
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCy4Bc0uMU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

No. 6 posted:

How do I stop sucking at this game?

turn around after taurus jumps down and climb up the ladder next to the fog gate. jump attack on his dumb face when he looks up at you, rinse-repeat. the game really picks up once you meet andre in the parish and you can start smithing equipment and using weird weapons. try the halberd lying outside the church

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Also theres a ton of good youtube videos on how not to suck.
Actually, the Dark Souls community is quite helpful, knowing that the learning curve is steep enough to scare players away.

For a first playthrough, i recommend Pyromancer.
Level only Attunement to 3-4 slots, Vitality and endurance, strength and dex only as high as you need for your weapon of choice. For which i recomment the halberd in the church and have it upgraded to +10 by Andre (+5 initially, the +10 ember is found near Laurentius), then to lightning once you get to the giant blacksmith.

Get into the deepths and save Laurentius (check videos on how to cheese the capra demon) and upgrade your Flame to +10, then go to blighttown.
Meet Queelana and spend the next hours grinding for your flame to upgrade to +15, ascend, and upgrade another +5.

Then you basically rape everything that isnt fire immune/resistant.

Also meet up with the fair lady and join the chaos covenant, give her 30 humanity for covenant level +2 and you have far less trouble in the tomb of giants and lost izalith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

and again using only a guitar hero peripheral
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCy4Bc0uMU

Come back when you beat it with the DDR pad

• Locked thread