Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

12 goony men

hahaha who am I kidding I meant boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
They let you bring your phone to jury duty? Calling BS, youre not really there.

I was a juror down in Detroit a few years ago. It was about a guy that didnt pay his child support on his teenage daughter. Anyways she got gunned down in a park or something a few years prior. We told that guy to pay up.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Juries are generally made up of the dumbest motherfuckers from selection who couldn't find a way to get out of it.

Blah blah blah civic duty blah blah blah. Pay me the same thing I make at work and I may actually give a poo poo.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol we have no jury trials in Argentina, here the judge decides whether you're guilty and if you're rich or have rich friends in good standing with a judge or two, you're basically untouchable (unless your case gathers lots of media attention). I've seen this happen literally in front of my eyes.
- Rich dude: "hey what's up judge A, this guy you're gonna judge is a friend of mine, he didn't know what he was doing, make sure you take it easy on him okay?"
- Judge: "okay, sure no problem, I'll see what I can do, by the way, when are we gonna meet again for a barbecue? It's been long (this is p. much slang for 'when are you gonna pay me for this?' or 'you owe me a favor now' I guess)"

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
jury dutys a hood place to sleep bring ur sleep mask w/ u and catch up on some good rear end z's. thats a tip from me ur fav poster, ilikedirt

Pochoclo posted:

Lol we have no jury trials in Argentina, here the judge decides whether you're guilty and if you're rich or have rich friends in good standing with a judge or two, you're basically untouchable (unless your case gathers lots of media attention). I've seen this happen literally in front of my eyes.
- Rich dude: "hey what's up judge A, this guy you're gonna judge is a friend of mine, he didn't know what he was doing, make sure you take it easy on him okay?"
- Judge: "okay, sure no problem, I'll see what I can do, by the way, when are we gonna meet again for a barbecue? It's been long (this is p. much slang for 'when are you gonna pay me for this?' or 'you owe me a favor now' I guess)"

ya but ur country has so many cool dinosaur bones so like... so what

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

do your duty and be as braindead as possible just in case you get put on a felony drug trial and don't say a loving thing about jury nullification until you have to deliberate and then plant your rear end down and refuse to convict. Be a good person, thanks.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Demonachizer posted:

19 jurors, all white, at an inner city courthouse. The video they showed talked about diversity in the jury pool.

lol

20 white people now. Someone showed up an hour and 20 minutes late. The smartest one here probably.

poop your pants see if you get sent home

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

don't prosecutors/lawyers get to pick the dumbest most impressionable people to accept as a jury in the US or am I mistaken

like literally if you have your own business and/or have some sort of 'intellectual' occupation like, say, an engineer they don't want you on the jury

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ekster posted:

don't prosecutors/lawyers get to pick the dumbest most impressionable people to accept as a jury in the US or am I mistaken

like literally if you have your own business and/or have some sort of 'intellectual' occupation like, say, an engineer they don't want you on the jury

that's what i've heard. they want people who won't think rationally and are more easily swayed by appeals to emotion

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
just show you are "live posting" about your court case, so they through off for being unable to not talk about your court case.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
jury duty is the worst

you have people who are sane and make rational choices

you have people who just want to go home and will vote which ever way wins

you have people who are completely insane and will shout anyone down who is against their opinion and will cause a hung jury no matter what is being tried

you have people who are just too dumb to even understand what is being presented to them and you need to spend hours explaining everything to them two, three, four, ten times because they keep mixing everything up

you lose days of your life well into every night

gently caress that poo poo

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Philthy posted:

jury duty is the worst

you have people who are sane and make rational choices

you have people who just want to go home and will vote which ever way wins

you have people who are completely insane and will shout anyone down who is against their opinion and will cause a hung jury no matter what is being tried

you have people who are just too dumb to even understand what is being presented to them and you need to spend hours explaining everything to them two, three, four, ten times because they keep mixing everything up

you lose days of your life well into every night

gently caress that poo poo

i always re schedule so i have to show up the friday before a holiday weekend, so i show up for a half hour and get sent home, because there are no trials scheduled.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I sat in a jury selection pool for an accused kiddie diddler (I don't think it was Aatrek) and was full of noble ideals about judging this man fairly despite the horrific revulsion I would feel while witnessing evidence and victim testimony, but then everybody got sent home because nobody would tell the defense lawyer "sure I could consider a probation sentence for a man who I just convicted of literally raping an 8 year old"

I was like... I could consider probation hypothetically if he was mentally ill or otherwise undeniably unable to control his behavior, but any factor that would mitigate my sentence would have also made me vote to acquit so the defense lawyer's question was really just a bullshit stall tactic that wasted a day I should have spent on the Internet instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Drunk & Ugly posted:

poop your pants see if you get sent home

Real talk if you have IBS/IBD can you be excused from jury duty?

• Locked thread