Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Nate Hackett is somehow going to funnel the Bills' offense directly at JJ Watt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Menamino posted:

that didn't take long :)

I'm glad the Giants have a coordinator who schemes to his player's strengths!

Nice forecast for the game. Keep up the good work

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Menamino posted:

I think football just has so much more strategy to it than any other major sport and it's always been my favorite sport because of that.
I've always seen it that way too, and explaining this to one of my friends a few years ago actually converted him into a football fan. The game becomes a lot more interesting when you view it as chess with human pieces.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Fenrir posted:

I've always seen it that way too, and explaining this to one of my friends a few years ago actually converted him into a football fan. The game becomes a lot more interesting when you view it as chess with human pieces.

I've been saying that for years now too, but some people are really convinced that it's nothing but commercials and huge lunkheads concussing each other at mach 5.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I've been saying that for years now too, but some people are really convinced that it's nothing but commercials and huge lunkheads concussing each other at mach 5.

Well....that IS a huge huge portion of it

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

Fenrir posted:

Vince Young played human chess at the highest level.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Menamino posted:

Just a guy whose been around the game since I was like, 8. When you play for a while you force yourself to learn this sorta stuff. I would be watching nfl game rewind regardless but since people seem to really enjoy the breakdowns I have a good time breaking them down a little more in depth than I would be on my own. I think football just has so much more strategy to it than any other major sport and it's always been my favorite sport because of that.

NFL is giving me all kinds of positive flashbacks into a course a took on game theory. Which makes me the biggest nerd I guess.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Brannigans Law posted:

Vince Young played human chess at the highest level.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Fenrir posted:

I tell my wife it's a game of chess where all the pieces move at once.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

I tell my wife it's a game of chess where all the pieces move at once.

And the pieces have to execute as directed while having all the possible flaws, and benefits, of independent actors.

Of note, I'm not sure that football requires more strategy than every other sport, but because the format gives a pause it draws the strategy to the forefront, so its more noticable.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/9/26/6842627/the-film-room-the-buffalo-bills-defensive-line-kyle-mario-marcell-and

Great write up on Bills Dline by a Texans fan.
It's weird to actually learn some new things about your team from a fan of another team.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I loving HATE the Dolphins, and you're all about to see why. Bloodbath incoming.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
This was a really good read on the Falcons offense vs Vikings defense.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Chilichimp posted:

This was a really good read on the Falcons offense vs Vikings defense.

Arif Hasan is the best football writer. :allears:

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Bears secondary is beat to hell and starting multiple rookies/bad players, forcing them to play a super simple zone coverage. Cobb and Nelson are going to take turns shredding the Bear's defense in the slot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DupaDupa posted:

Bears secondary is beat to hell and starting multiple rookies/bad players, forcing them to play a super simple zone coverage. Cobb and Nelson are going to take turns shredding the Bear's defense in the slot.

I feel like every year I predict a 50-40 shootout between GB and CHI and it never happens, but maybe this time!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Any Bears fan who thinks they have a remote chance against Rodgers is completely delusional.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

Any Bears fan who thinks they have a remote chance against Rodgers is completely delusional.

Hey now, I think Cutler's beaten him once in the last 12 tries.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

DupaDupa posted:

The Lions covered Cobb with a literal camp body and it worked.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Streater out, Moore benched. Raiders receiving corps down to James Jones, Vincent Brown, Andre Holmes and Brice Butler

London, someday you'll get a good game

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Hizawk posted:

The Lions covered Cobb with a literal camp body and it worked.

It really doesn't matter who your DBs are when a 4 man rush is through the OL in .00143 seconds, all of which Rodgers spent staring down Jordy Nelson before running for his life.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008
As with last week, the Vikings will lose decisively but won't be completely embarrassed.

What's weird is that while the Vikings may still only win 5 games this year, their strengths and weaknesses have flipped entirely from last year; now the defense looks respectable, the passing game has actual bright spots, and the run game is a tire fire. Amazing what can change in a year, no?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chris James 2 posted:

Streater out, Moore benched. Raiders receiving corps down to James Jones, Vincent Brown, Andre Holmes and Brice Butler

London, someday you'll get a good game

I think the Chargers/Saints game has been the only good one they've ever had

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
I'm looking forward to the Steelers offense making GBS threads all over the Bucs, for the Steelers corners to get destroyed by VJax and Mike Evans, and for Steve SMith to go nuclear against the panthers

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lions/Falcons has the potential to be a balls to the wall awesome shootout.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

I loving HATE the Dolphins, and you're all about to see why. Bloodbath incoming.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That guy knows his poo poo.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's a deal. Chiefs won't win and you'll see exactly why.

This is also a deal. I have no doubts in my mind that a loss will be the direct result of a Smith weakness, just like in the Denver game. It could also come down to a bad Dorsey decision (cutting up the O-line, no receivers, no corners, etc.). Also, if you are really committed, I could recommend some games from last year that Smith either lost or nearly made a loss, but I understand if you don't want to do that. It's not exactly fun or worthwhile to go that far back.

I hereby pledge to stop posting about Smith and Dorsey if I lost this bet. :toxx: accepted.

itshappening.gif

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Flikken posted:

itshappening.gif

It's even largely a product of Alex Smith playing really well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Flikken posted:

itshappening.gif

It's the toxx of the year to be honest.

• Locked thread