Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
I had a gaming laptop which died a year ago so I've been stuck with a pretty lovely laptop since then. I was planning on building a desktop in about a year, but when my friend told me about a PC on Tek Syndicate for sale for $400, I had to jump on it. It should get me through the next year or so until I can build mine and as far as I can tell, play most current games on high at least.

AMD FX 8320
Asus M5A97 R2.0
XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB DDR5 (OC to 1050/1450)
8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ
Hyper 212 EVO
1TB HDD
Thermaltake Black V3 Case
DVDRW/CDRW Drive
Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition Fans
Thermaltake TR600w 80+ Bronze Power Supply
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

They also threw in a wireless Logitech G602 mouse and a Chromecast

And again, $400. That blows most other $400 builds that I've seen recently out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

nice gameing rig bruh put some spinnaz on that badboy

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
Hahaha thanks guys :)

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

$400 or not that is a really lovely computer and it's generally a better idea to do research before purchasing instead of after

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
lovely compared what? I've done plenty of research prior to purchase, I know what I'm buying, and it's not lovely for my current needs. I wasn't coming here to brag about it or anything, or ask whether the Radeon 7850 is a great graphics card. I know it's midrange at best. Just looking for some discussion :) So what do you think is so lovely about it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

RedChord14 posted:

So what do you think is so lovely about it?

AMD FX 8320
Asus M5A97 R2.0
Thermaltake Black V3 Case
Thermaltake TR600w 80+ Bronze Power Supply

Its downright criminal thermaltake is still selling the TR power supplies.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 23, 2014

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
I've certainly read the mixed reviews on the PSU and I'll probably try to replace it. But for the time being it'll have to do as long as it doesn't fry everything. I just figured for $400 it was worth the risk when I still have my laptop to fall back on.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I give it... 3 weeks before that power supply goes out in a blaze of glory, destroying the rest of the parts(and maybe your house). Enjoy!

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
I don't know a ton about power supplies compared to everything else, if I want to replace it, what should I look for instead?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

RedChord14 posted:

But for the time being it'll have to do as long as it doesn't fry everything.

This is exactly what the TR series is famous for.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So how many blue LED lights does it currently have? Any less than 10 and you got hosed.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
You cant expect much for an entire box top to bottom for $400. But its still not good. Also wrong thread and all that but the response wouldn't be much different.

It is truly worth your time to part that out piece by piece (you will make a little money too) and building a Microcenter Pentium bundle if you live near one of those for $500.

Just glancing over that you can probably get $450+ out of that without much holding out, wipe your hands, and start again. You can even keep some of it if you want. Case, ram, hdd probably, Evo 212, fans I guess, mouse, etc. It wasn't the worst decision ever if you part out like that.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Replace the power supply with some Corsair 500W model before it burns your house down and you have a serviceable Facebook PC. Upgrade the GPU to something real for $150 and that plays games as well as any XBone.

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
I don't know why I'd want to part it all out like that though. I like the processor quite a bit, the video card is good enough, decent ram, for where I am right now it's a perfectly fine computer. And I'm looking to start from the ground up in a year or so anyway. I'd like to swap out a different power supply as you guys pointed out, but I don't know why I'd want to part it out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That sure is a computer I tell you what

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

RedChord14 posted:

DVDRW/CDRW Drive

When was that last time you actually used one of those round pieces of plastic?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
If you change out the power supply you probably lose your warranty on the system :eng99:

Basically the GPU is 2 gens behind, the CPU is 2 lightyears behind, and the mobo gives you no upgrade path because AMD sucks right now. I don't know how long Intel's current mobo socket is going to be around, but you're better off getting a recent gen motherboard from them and putting a Pentium + cheap graphics card in it. Then you can upgrade to an i5/i7 and adequate GPU when you can afford it.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 23, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

RedChord14 posted:

I don't know why I'd want to part it all out like that though. I like the processor quite a bit, the video card is good enough, decent ram, for where I am right now it's a perfectly fine computer. And I'm looking to start from the ground up in a year or so anyway. I'd like to swap out a different power supply as you guys pointed out, but I don't know why I'd want to part it out.

Because that $400 is better spent towards a better computer. Even one that costs $500. If you like that processor its because its just better than what you had, that's all. If you're happy with it then just keep it save for the actually dangerous part which you say you are replacing. If you want to know if it's a good PC then I guess read above. The only thing keeping FX AMD cpus afloat in the "gaming" pc world is misinformation combined with brand loyalty. Dollar per dollar, watt for watt, clock for clock, it compares poorly to an Intel counterpart for games and pretty much everything else. There is a reason someone was able to sell that to you for $400.

So if you're willing to part it out you will come out on top. If you want to keep it, keep it, the first bottleneck being your GPU as peak debt said so just keep that in mind once you're unhappy with its gaming performance.

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009

Roargasm posted:

If you change out the power supply you probably lose your warranty on the system :eng99:

Basically the GPU is 2 gens behind, the CPU is 2 lightyears behind, and the mobo gives you no upgrade path because AMD sucks right now. I don't know how long Intel's current mobo socket is going to be around, but you're better off getting a recent gen motherboard from them and putting a Pentium + cheap graphics card in it. Then you can upgrade to an i5/i7 and adequate GPU when you can afford it.

The GPU and CPU being behind doesn't bother me because it's an upgrade from what I have and honestly, they're good enough for me. I'm not planning on playing Battlefield or AC 4 or anything like that. I'm not even looking to upgrade this particular model so I can live with the board. As I've said I'm going to start from the ground up in a year or so, I only bought this PC as a temporary solution.

The most recent game I'm likely to be playing is Far Cry 3, which I've ran before on a rig that paled in comparison to this. Do you guys really think I'm going to have that much trouble gaming on this? That's a 2012 game and this is 2012 tech. What is it about the cpu you guys hate so much? It's a 8 core cpu clocking at 3.5 that I could probably overclock to 4 with that Hyper 212 evo, maybe that's only impressive to me because of the price tag and I'm comparing it to my dual core AMD a6 piece of poo poo. But the fact is, for me this rig is a temporary replacement that is 1000x better than what I have currently. The video card, sure I know that's midrange at best even for a couple years ago. And maybe I'll want to swap it out, but for now I can't imagine it not being good enough for my needs.

As for the power supply, what do you guys think about the Cosair CX600? I'm only really sticking with a 600W because that's what's already in it, but as I've said I don't know a ton about power supplies so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for all the discussion, I'm sorry if I seem defensive but this is exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for. I'm just not still as down on the PC as you guys are :)

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

You're basically asking everyone to validate your choice here. Sure, this seems like it'll be better than what you had but just dismissing criticism like you are makes me wonder what you're trying to get out of this thread.

People are giving you plenty of examples of how you could have done better, bang for buck, but you're just saying you're happy with what you got. Good for you? I mean, as long as you're happy, who cares but what is your purpose here?

NLJP fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 24, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

so is this like a super lurker or what's the deal, before this thread had less than ten posts in five years :buddy:

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
I think there's a difference between looking for you to validate my choice and defending it. I'm certainly not dismissing criticism of the power supply, in fact I'm asking for help in picking a replacement. Nor am I dismissing criticism of the cpu, but merely asking to understand it besides "it's old" which I don't find valid to my circumstances. What I want out of the thread is exactly what I'm getting. Basically, this computer was fine in what I was looking for (cpu, gpu, ram) and I need a bit of help with what I don't know as much about and don't necessarily always think of. The only other person I can talk to is my friend who told me about it who thinks it's an awesome system, so I'm looking for some other perspectives. And yes, I am more or less a super lurker :P I come to SA pretty frequently but I came out of hiding to ask for some thoughts.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My HP laptop that I pulled out of the dumpster and baked in an oven to fix has an SSD, and you spent $400 on a gaming computer with a spinning platter drive

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
I read the PC Building sticky and see you guys don't like the Corsair CXs, so there goes my idea. What other brands should I look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm closing this thread, the Parts Picking Megathread exists for these sort of questions, and it's pretty much completely pointless to impulse buy a computer and then ask us afterwards if it was a good idea.

• Locked thread