Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

the culminator posted:

theatre :jerkbag:

also british slang all sounds funny and pg-13 but it definitely doesn't sound badass. British people cant come up with words like fuckboy or bitchmade its just not in them.

british people say oval office way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Quick, Americans, guess how we pronounce Redcar. Or Featherstonehaugh.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

why is aluminium right but platinium wrong? answer me that you drat brits

"Aluminum" is a typo. See, two guys independently thought up how to refine aluminium on a large scale (it had already been discovered but only nerds cared about it), and one of them sent a pamphlet off to America about how great the stuff was and how he should get lots of money, and he did this as fast as he could because he didn't want the other guy to get any credit. So of course it was a rush job and the publisher made a typo on it. By the time the mistake was discovered Americans were already using "aluminum", and they'd be damned before they'd be told how to spell by people who weren't American how to spell.

I'm paraphrasing, but this is what really happened.

Edit:
vvv
Way to let the side down, Canada!

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 25, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Only two countries in the world are saying aluminum instead of aluminium: US and Canada.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

IronClaymore posted:

"Aluminum" is a typo. See, two guys independently thought up how to refine aluminium on a large scale (it had already been discovered but only nerds cared about it), and one of them sent a pamphlet off to America about how great the stuff was and how he should get lots of money, and he did this as fast as he could because he didn't want the other guy to get any credit. So of course it was a rush job and the publisher made a typo on it. By the time the mistake was discovered Americans were already using "aluminum", and they'd be damned before they'd be told how to spell by people who weren't American how to spell.

wow so the order of things was 2 guys figured out how to refine it and then some time later someone discovered it and named it thats awesome i wouldnt have guessed

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

icantfindaname posted:

british people don't understand the concept of writing words as they're pronounced though, they basically invented having a language full of archaic holdover poo poo. lancastershire is pronounced 'lancashire'. there's a whole syllable missing. these are not bright people

i live near a place called wymondham

it's pronounced wind-hum

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

wut up. u fuks srsly use 2 many letrs i tel u wut

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
British people communicate on two levels at once by a series of subvocal intonations, denoted by extra vowels in their speech. It's incomprehensible to anyone that didn't grow up a bitter wreck of a human being because Margaret Thatcher.

Anyway, you can sort of pick up on it if you try hard enough. Unfortunately, it's mostly statements about how "poo poo" everything is. They can't say "lovely" because subvocal tones, while excellent for stealth, lack proper adjective/adverb forms. You can sometimes catch them saying things like "going to hospital" as well, implying a lack of articles as well.

One day we will crack the code. :unsmith:

Rolling Nuns
Jul 16, 2006
Watch 'em go!

Owns

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

IronClaymore posted:

why is platinum not a typo then????? you are really bad at this question answering thing

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

"She was 14 stone and a right old slapper".

What does this even mean? Speak the king's english for crissakes.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rivethead posted:

"She was 14 stone and a right old slapper".

What does this even mean? Speak the king's english for crissakes.
She was a minging bint.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Invent a language -----> other countries take it and immediately become better at it

Invent a sport-----> other countries take it and immediately become better at it

Its almost as if theres a pattern here lads/mates

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

flammable? :can:

Inflammable means it can only be ignited if it's been atomised, for instance as a powder or vapour.

Also it's fun to see how Americans view the world based on characters they've seen on TV.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

the culminator posted:

British people cant come up with words like fuckboy or bitchmade its just not in them.

If you say so, fuckwit.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
misread thread title as "why do british people call themselves paedophiles"

wait that'd be pretty accurate

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I'm British but I insist on using Oxford spelling (-ize instead of -ise) so I can act smug when people accuse me of using American spelling. Look it up in the OED, pleb :smug:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Peter File

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Have you ever heard americans say Twat.???Aahahahah loving idiots.

Also americans saying 'bloody hell'.

Will never. not. be. funny.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

JFairfax posted:

Have you ever heard americans say Twat.???Aahahahah loving idiots.

Also americans saying 'bloody hell'.

Will never. not. be. funny.

Let's be honest though, it's made up nonsense to begin with.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
because they like to gently caress kids OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
whinge

seriously brits get your poo poo together it's embarassing.

• Locked thread