Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Medium Lasers are dumb even with single heat sinks. The only situation where they're remotely okay is when the player doesn't get to min max and just stuff his mech full of them. And even in fixed loadout games, the medium lasers are usually the crown jewel of a mech and everything else is bad poo poo you're forced to take instead of more mediums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
BattleTech feels like a setting that could do well with presenting different eras that have different mechs, equipment, and potentially rules to show changing technology and tactics. Say: Star League, Succession Wars, and Clan Invasion.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

BattleTech feels like a setting that could do well with presenting different eras that have different mechs, equipment, and potentially rules to show changing technology and tactics. Say: Star League, Succession Wars, and Clan Invasion.

This isn't how most people play? Do people not draft mechs for games from similar time frames? I always assumed more organized play was kind of like Flames of War with less clear structure (e.g. you can use mechs from X faction during Y time period for the game this Sunday, show up with a list and some minis)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DatonKallandor posted:

Medium Lasers are dumb even with single heat sinks. The only situation where they're remotely okay is when the player doesn't get to min max and just stuff his mech full of them. And even in fixed loadout games, the medium lasers are usually the crown jewel of a mech and everything else is bad poo poo you're forced to take instead of more mediums.

Yes. This is why 3025 nostalgia never quite worked for me. Clan stuff excepted, most of the new kit that comes out later in the timeline honestly struggles to compete with the standard medium laser.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Are there any generally accepted house rules to Medium Lasers that make them not king poo poo of mech mountain in 3025 play?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

whydirt posted:

Are there any generally accepted house rules to Medium Lasers that make them not king poo poo of mech mountain in 3025 play?

"If your friend brings a Swayback, they are not your friend anymore. Punch them."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

whydirt posted:

Bump them up to 5 heat or drop them to 3 damage, making them 1/1 heat/damage efficient for 1 ton and 1 slot. They'd still be good weapons like that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Use maps and objectives that don't turn every battle into a knife fight?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

dis astranagant posted:

Use maps and objectives that don't turn every battle into a knife fight?

Blatantly steal scenarios from PTNs Let's Play Battletech thread.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

whydirt posted:

Ghost heat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the saddest thing about that trailer vs what we ended up with was that clearly at one point what was envisioned was a much slower-paced game. The conceit of Mechwarrior is much more plausible if you go all in on the premise that Mechs are made out of such a super-durable wonder material that it takes a ridiculous amount of punishment to knock one out, and even then the hull is going to be 95% intact and salvageable once you fix the few critical hits that dropped it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alchenar posted:

I think the saddest thing about that trailer vs what we ended up with was that clearly at one point what was envisioned was a much slower-paced game. The conceit of Mechwarrior is much more plausible if you go all in on the premise that Mechs are made out of such a super-durable wonder material that it takes a ridiculous amount of punishment to knock one out, and even then the hull is going to be 95% intact and salvageable once you fix the few critical hits that dropped it.

also that Warhammer is by himself instead of in a murderball with 11 of his teammates

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Medium Lasers are a really good weapon, but you can't just boat them an expect to win. They have very short range, aren't hole punchers, and aren't very effective critseekers either. In terms of pure damage they are pretty unmatched, which is why they are never bad as secondary weapons on a mech, but you can't just throw medium lasers at an enemy and expect to win.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

KnoxZone posted:

Medium Lasers are a really good weapon, but you can't just boat them an expect to win. They have very short range, aren't hole punchers, and aren't very effective critseekers either. In terms of pure damage they are pretty unmatched, which is why they are never bad as secondary weapons on a mech, but you can't just throw medium lasers at an enemy and expect to win.

one could say the same about machine guns, but Voyager I proved that to be incorrect.

(amusingly enough I believe his Blackjack also had medium lasers.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

one could say the same about machine guns, but Voyager I proved that to be incorrect.

All Blackjacks have medium lasers. Typically they're the only weapon on the Blackjack that's worth firing.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

KnoxZone posted:

This is tricky, because I agree with that statement for most cases, but the Swayback is basically throwing medium lasers at the enemy and expecting to win, and in 3025 play it usually works unless you have a really big map and the OPFOR has a ton of ranged punch. Even most heavies don't have the punch to consistently bring that thing down before it gets too close. Similarly, while the 3025 Fire Javelin doesn't have a ton of MLs, it is very definitely an ML boat, and is probably one of the most annoying mechs to run into in that time period. So there are very definitely even stock ML boats that you can expect to win fairly regularly with.

I honestly don't feel like there's a good fix for ML supremacy. Making the damage:heat ratio 5:5 or 3:3 (or even 4:4) probably doesn't do enough - also 3:3 would be weird with the small laser being 3:1. Making the range 2/4/6 doesn't change how efficient they are in terms of both heat and tonnage. Occasionally I've thought that maybe making MLs weigh 2 tons might actually be the most balanced way to handle them for what they bring to the table, but then you have to go redesign everything that has MLs on it...it is not an easy fix. And don't get me started on rebalancing Clan lasers...

It is probably much easier to make other weapons more viable (as the designers attempted to do by introducing LACs, for example) and just accept that most mechs will have at least a couple backup MLs (or ERMLs or MPLs), and that those backup weapons will do as much or more as their primaries. C'est la vie.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Fraction Jackson posted:

Similarly, while the 3025 Fire Javelin doesn't have a ton of MLs, it is very definitely an ML boat, and is probably one of the most annoying mechs to run into in that time period.

The Jenner JR7-F is an absolute bitch to fight in 3025. 4MLs are enough to force a PSR on a 'mech.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PhotoKirk posted:

The Jenner JR7-F is an absolute bitch to fight in 3025. 4MLs are enough to force a PSR on a 'mech.

Even the base model -D is a pain in the rear end. The extra armor and no chance of hitting SRM ammo makes the -F the harder 'mech to kill for sure, but even with the SRM-4, that's still four very mobile medium lasers to deal with.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fraction Jackson posted:

This is tricky, because I agree with that statement for most cases, but the Swayback is basically throwing medium lasers at the enemy and expecting to win, and in 3025 play it usually works unless you have a really big map and the OPFOR has a ton of ranged punch. Even most heavies don't have the punch to consistently bring that thing down before it gets too close. Similarly, while the 3025 Fire Javelin doesn't have a ton of MLs, it is very definitely an ML boat, and is probably one of the most annoying mechs to run into in that time period. So there are very definitely even stock ML boats that you can expect to win fairly regularly with.

I honestly don't feel like there's a good fix for ML supremacy. Making the damage:heat ratio 5:5 or 3:3 (or even 4:4) probably doesn't do enough - also 3:3 would be weird with the small laser being 3:1. Making the range 2/4/6 doesn't change how efficient they are in terms of both heat and tonnage. Occasionally I've thought that maybe making MLs weigh 2 tons might actually be the most balanced way to handle them for what they bring to the table, but then you have to go redesign everything that has MLs on it...it is not an easy fix. And don't get me started on rebalancing Clan lasers...

It is probably much easier to make other weapons more viable (as the designers attempted to do by introducing LACs, for example) and just accept that most mechs will have at least a couple backup MLs (or ERMLs or MPLs), and that those backup weapons will do as much or more as their primaries. C'est la vie.

The core of rebalancing weaponry would be to examine the key weapons of each type: Medium Laser, AC/10, LRM-15, SRM-4, and go from there.

IMHO, of course.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

??? Voyager 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40r0l1ZCqgA

???????

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

IIRC he's talking about one of the posters in the Battletech LP thread. One of the more recent missions involved a pirate war, where one of the player mechs was a Blackjack with 10 machine guns.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tarezax posted:

IIRC he's talking about one of the posters in the Battletech LP thread. One of the more recent missions involved a pirate war, where one of the player mechs was a Blackjack with 10 machine guns.

You do recall correctly. King of the Pirates scenario. Just count up every crit the Blackjack gets. (a lot)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Tarezax posted:

It wasn't 10 machine guns.

It was 20. :getin:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

AJ_Impy posted:

Ghost heat.

I'm getting flashbacks.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Tarezax posted:

Didn't that kind of machine eventually become a canon unit after the clan invasion?

And I don't know if this is a good place for asking, but what is the best way to get in to the tabletop battletech thread?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You mean, as a player, or understanding WTF is going on, orrrrrrrrrr?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Corponation posted:

Didn't that kind of machine eventually become a canon unit after the clan invasion?

And I don't know if this is a good place for asking, but what is the best way to get in to the tabletop battletech thread?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Piranha

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Psion posted:

You mean, as a player, or understanding WTF is going on, orrrrrrrrrr?

Oh right sorry, as a player.

There it is. Things like that and the Rifleman IIC are why I'm sometimes weary of people picking their own machines.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Piranha isn't that scary. It's super fragile and anything with an LB-10x can do as much critseek from way farther way. It's not even especially fast for a clan light mech.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What the Pirahna will do is make you wish the other guy was smart and had a partitioned and transparent box of dice to handle bulk rolls.

Or, uh

Were playing Megamek

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Corponation posted:

Just post in the thread to be added to the pilot list, and in a few short weeks months years you'll get your chance to shine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Corponation posted:

I just posted in the BT thread asking about getting added to the pilot list and PTN put me on the list. I'd suggest that approach. You could PM him too, I guess!

then wait, uh, a while. I think the waitlist is down to less than two years now. Let me tell you: worth it.

e: wow, too slow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What you have to worry about with people bringing custom mechs is stupid poo poo like 7/11/11 45 tonners (with 13.5 tons for weapons and armor) or Jebediah Pirateman rigging an Atlas to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well, I just finished actually watching all the videos in this thread, so I'm all caught up and ready for the Bethany Cochraine run! :toot:

... that's still happening, right? :confuoot:

• Locked thread