Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Congrats. I hope that last guy who died in the cutscene wasn't me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

Koboje posted:

Total of 11 enjoying their new life in the Spitter Park.

Don't forget the popper petting zoo!

Not pictured: Animatronic Megaspawn, Brain-sucker terrariums, walk-through Xeno Queen building and exhibit

Koboje posted:

-Hudson. 1 Kills (+0) Miracolously survived half a mission in plain open terrain easily visible after getting stranded on high ground from armor melting

Sorry about all that. Hopefully the pictures make up a bit for the trouble.

Great LP. Your knowledge and experience with the game really adds to the commentary and shows the depth and limitations of the game.

After watching your experience in the Alien dimension, I have some questions about this playthrough compared to your previous games:
  • In your previous games did you encounter the bug where your soldiers and aliens didn't spawn or spawn without equipment?
    • In those playthroughs did you bring as many soldiers into the Alien dimension? I wondered if you encountered this bug because you're bringing more soldiers and ships (I assume) since you're not using the more powerful weapons and shields.
  • Does the incident of bugs you encounter in a game increase based on total playtime and/or units deployed? Both? Neither?

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

dbcooper posted:

Don't forget the popper petting zoo!

Not pictured: Animatronic Megaspawn, Brain-sucker terrariums, walk-through Xeno Queen building and exhibit

Sorry about all that. Hopefully the pictures make up a bit for the trouble.

Great LP. Your knowledge and experience with the game really adds to the commentary and shows the depth and limitations of the game.

After watching your experience in the Alien dimension, I have some questions about this playthrough compared to your previous games:
  • In your previous games did you encounter the bug where your soldiers and aliens didn't spawn or spawn without equipment?
    • In those playthroughs did you bring as many soldiers into the Alien dimension? I wondered if you encountered this bug because you're bringing more soldiers and ships (I assume) since you're not using the more powerful weapons and shields.
  • Does the incident of bugs you encounter in a game increase based on total playtime and/or units deployed? Both? Neither?

The pictures are great!

As for the questions:

1. Yes, but not as much as here, or I failed to notice it as everything kept melting before I got a good look.
2. I doubt it, since with endgame tech you can essentially 1-6 man each of the alien buildings I dont believe I brought more than 12-16 on any such mission previously. And yes after doing some more tests myself there seems a direct link with how many you send in and how many spawn without equipment/fail to spawn at all.
3. Both. Bringing a full 36 man Biotrans to a building will never have every agent present, or even as many as the squad limit allows, 25-26 seems to be a common upper threshold. The more men/equipment you bring also clearly seems to affect if/when/how many spawn without anything. Usually the aliens seem to be the ones to suffer from it. I did not actually know this bug existed in such a readily provable way in Apocalypse, I thought it was solved from when I heard it happening in the original X-Com. It also seems to happen during raids, but we never saw that since I did not bring so many people to them. I might redo the final mission to make as many aliens as possible start with weapons, but that would of course mean we enter the mission with like 16 people compared to 26. Still I think the final mission deserves to be a bit more explodey.

Fortunately the only other bug I encountered during the LP was an emptying of the vast stores of Elerium that happened after some missions that could be easily countered with an editor. However I have been encountering the dreaded INSERT X-COM DISC game hanger 3 times now while recording some bonus video material. The Insert Disc thing has been infamous for a long time and is one of the reasons I save after every battle, and should probably do so immediately before starting a tactical missions as that is when it happens.

Koboje fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 26, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Great work! It's ludicrous how not even a single android showed up, clearly it was a bug of some kind? I've never seen it before, and nothing like it, either.

Can't wait for the extra stuff, it's good to see that we're not done quite yet!

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Since I now know entering a building in huge numbers causes the no equipment for aliens bug and since the final mission was a fair bit too easy, I decided to redo it so the aliens start with full equipment! Which incidentally means we have to start with less people (15) which should cause a rather nasty increase in difficulty when added to the aliens now very present weaponry.

After action report:
We still kick rear end and win, altough with quite a few more dead on our side (just 10) and we got reasonably close to flat out losing. Naturally more people having horrible deaths made it way more fun! Anyone who was dissapointed with the Final Push episode can consider this the official one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Haha. So I basically snipe all the objectives from the backline after two thirds of the force charges forward and gets killed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd like it noted posthumously that Fireman Ned's three kills were a triple-Megaspawn Barbeque. Field Research report showed them's good eatin'.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

"Ok, we got one dead, less than 10 seconds into the mission"

:xcom:

That was definitely worth it of being the FINAL MISSION. Seeing all those beams and missiles flying around made me wonder how didn't everyone die within the first minute.

Forget about banning psyonics and blue armor, for your next challenge run you should ban smoke grenades. You know they are overpowered when they are the only piece of human technology that aliens care to use.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Grats on finally finishing Duckmaster. I thought it would never end.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Just a look at some various things we did not get to see, an interesting piece of technology, one of the special things Motherships can do, how long it takes to screw yourself over in the long run and how a typical mid-late game air and ground battle goes in a non restricted game.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I never figured out how to take overspawn alive. Is that possible? I've seen the encyclopedia page but I've always felt that was a cruel joke left in there by the devs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can't. Technically it's a vehicle, not an alien.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Karate Bastard posted:

Please treat this application as mandate to treat my currently animate toon as a human airbag.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Can a character fall 8 stories onto other characters? Does it cushion the fall? (Guessing not.) Does it do damage to the dude on the ground? (Genuinely no idea.)

:science: :neckbeard:

So based on the fact that you fell unconscious when you landed on guys and that you died when you didn't, now we know! You can use people as human airbags.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I gotta say, thanks again for doing this LP. I don't think I would've played the older X-COM games without this to push me to it.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
And I am very happy people have both enjoyed and (re)gained an interest for the X-Com games thanks to my efforts!

Let's just kill and destroy things in fun and interesting ways for like an hour, including Mega-Primus!

For the sake of expediency I just edited in the amounts of equipment necessary, but with the exception of the Minilaunchers you can easily acquire or produce enough weapons and ammo during a playthrough to recreate the video.

The next Bonus video will be a "How to" for easily breaking, abusing and generally giving the finger to the game and basic restraint. Needless to say people with poor self control should skip that one for obvious reasons.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Awesome lets play man, got me playing a game I would have never touched other wise. It got a little grindy when I had to restart due to being too far behind in tech, but great game. If Firaxis remade this one, feature complete it would probably explode my brain. That said, you beat the poo poo out of this game, good work.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I believe you also lose the game immediately if somehow the Government becomes infiltrated.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Fangz posted:

I believe you also lose the game immediately if somehow the Government becomes infiltrated.

This isn't the case, they just terminate your funding and become hostile. I know you get a Game Over if you lose your last base (this can happen even in the Cityscape). I have a vague recollection you can also get a Game Over if you have a negative cash balance after all the salaries and base maintence is deducted at the start of a new week (might take a few such weeks consecutively?)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Koboje posted:

Let's just kill and destroy things in fun and interesting ways for like an hour, including Mega-Primus!

"And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

Kojobe, are you Scandinavian?

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Rexides posted:

"And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

Kojobe, are you Scandinavian?

Swedish in fact.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Koboje posted:

Swedish in fact.

That was my first guess judging from your accent, but I wasn't sure if other scandinavian accents were similar.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
With annihilation like that it's a peculiar thing, that you can't just simply destroy the alien dimension the same way..

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Haha that was amazing! I've been eagerly awaiting the fire and missile and disruptor death reels and they were all that I hoped for :swoon:

Now, would you please do an outing where you win by kneecapping the actual building by shooting out the bottom floor with devastator cannons, toppling the whole shebang into a pile of ruble? I've heard legends of such exploits and wish to witness them second hand.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I, too, would like to see a victory by way of completely leveling a map.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
While I do love that zero accuracy disruptor death spray it's just not on the level with the ballsack snoutcannon, in that it levels levels, I mean.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
:siren:WARNING, watching this will probably make playing this game legit much harder:siren:

There is no shooty pew pew sounds because of issues, but it is not the most important part here anyways.

Do not watch if you have poor self control! Once you learn some of these things you might never stop taking advantage of them. Among other things, several ways of making infinite cash, how to farm advanced equipment early safely and forever, another counter for brainsuckers and confirming things we already suspect are odd.

I learned some of these as a kid and have actually only played properly for the last 3 years or so of playing out of my 10+ years of playing, resisting the urge of free money and equipment was hard back then.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Do you take a negative hit to your relations if you do the stun raid cheese? Because that would definitely be a minus. Also is it possible to steal mind shields during alien hunt missions in marsec warehouses, or just in raids?

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Rexides posted:

Do you take a negative hit to your relations if you do the stun raid cheese? Because that would definitely be a minus. Also is it possible to steal mind shields during alien hunt missions in marsec warehouses, or just in raids?

No relations hit whatsoever, you can do it forever for infinite everything they can spawn with and what is usually contained in the building, just beware of the score jumping up so high the first aliens you encounter have .

Equipment like the Mind Shield and other loose spread around equipment like guns, armor pieces, elerium, psiclone and so on only spawn during actual raids.

Koboje fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 9, 2015

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It probably has been said already, but maybe the item limit is the reason the alien weapons do not take ammo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Karate Bastard posted:

It probably has been said already, but maybe the item limit is the reason the alien weapons do not take ammo?

It definitely plays into it, but my experimenting has given different results when things were exactly equal but the ingame time/save was different, sometimes aliens spawn with ammo and all, sometimes i dont, sometimes both have ammo but there are agents on my side missing or aliens possibly missing.

• Locked thread