Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
That is a good point, though just from checking out my local car ads, there don't seem to be many used hybrids up for sale by private owners. Most are around the $12k+ mark, and often from dealerships. But yea, that would allow me to use the vehicle allowance. Any hybrid is eligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
It never makes sense to lease. Ever. Post ALL the numbers and we can show you how little sense it makes. You do not need a new car, either, nor can you afford it. Pay cash for a used car.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

SiGmA_X posted:

It never makes sense to lease. Ever. Post ALL the numbers and we can show you how little sense it makes. You do not need a new car, either, nor can you afford it. Pay cash for a used car.

Well, I wouldn't say EVER, but in general its not great.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Sigh, my car's died 5 times in the last 3 days. Almost got killed twice but buying a new car is bad with money so

gently caress my life :suicide:

Grouco fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 24, 2014

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Grouco posted:

Sigh, my car's died 5 times in the last 3 days. Almost got killed twice but buying a new car is bad with money so

so buy a not new car

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

so buy a not new car

I don't have enough cash to buy a decent used car outright, nor the luxury of taking the time to scope out a good deal + doing the legwork to get it inspected while garages are closed over Christmas

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Grouco posted:

I don't have enough cash to buy a decent used car outright, nor the luxury of taking the time to scope out a good deal + doing the legwork to get it inspected while garages are closed over Christmas

Well at least you tried. I hear the new Acura TLX is nice.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Droo posted:

Sounds good, thanks guys. I'm off to drop 35k on a car for my daily commute. :jerkbag:

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Droo posted:

I believe a Mini is the BFC superstar car of choice

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!
Personally I'm not as against buying new as a lot of BFC, but trying to buy a car in a rush is a great way to make an expensive mistake. Can you buy more time to do that legwork? Public transportation? Carpool with a coworker, friend, family member? Even if you end up having to walk a short distance or if the timing causes some waiting around, that's still workable short-term. A lot of people are receptive to offers of gas money, baked goods, etc, so it's worth at least asking.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What's wrong with your car? Why not ... Get it fixed?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

What's wrong with your car? Why not ... Get it fixed?

strawberrymousse posted:

Personally I'm not as against buying new as a lot of BFC, but trying to buy a car in a rush is a great way to make an expensive mistake. Can you buy more time to do that legwork? Public transportation? Carpool with a coworker, friend, family member? Even if you end up having to walk a short distance or if the timing causes some waiting around, that's still workable short-term. A lot of people are receptive to offers of gas money, baked goods, etc, so it's worth at least asking.

At least something to do with the catalyst efficiency circuit and the cam shift position sensor (CEL is on and I flashed these codes: P0420, P0430, P0344, P0340).

I don't know any mechanics, so it's pretty much a crap shoot picking a particular garage and hoping they're not only able to find the real problem, but actually fix it properly without taking advantage of someone who obviously needs their car repaired. Also, all the places I've called are closed until Monday, so I'd have to drive it there Monday morning and be late for work, and then not be able to get back to the garage before it closes due to poo poo transit service (I also work in an industrial area). It'd be about an hour walk Tuesday morning, and I'd be late for work again. That all assumes it only takes a day to fix, and actually gets fixed.

I'm supposed to drive around today and tomorrow for Christmas stuff, so hopefully I make it back alive. Coupled with the stress of moving I'm just pissed/resentful that I have to deal with this car bullshit and that I'm basically forced to spend money on this consumer product just so I can get to the place where I make money. I really don't want to blow my emergency fund, but I have a $4000 tax refund coming up in March, a $1300 freelance cheque in February, and increased monthly income by 20% starting next paycheque (also the hybrid car allowance mentioned if I went that route), so the ability to have a monthly payment rather than an onerous up-front lump sum is definitely more appealing, even though it's not BFC due to financing/interest rates, depreciation, increased insurance on a financed vehicle, etc.

Grouco fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 24, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You mentioned it was dying back in November too, is this the same problem? Has it been throwing the CEL? Same codes?

That could all be related to the bad cam sensor. The dying while driving is very likely related to it. Failing cam/crank Hall sensors (what most newer (~96-06, I have NO idea about NEW new stuff) motors use, I assume yours does too) seem to overheat, make your car stall, and then cool off and restart again. We dealt with this ALL the time on 96+ Benz's at my old shop.

Cat could be bad, or O2 sensors, or air leak, or...lots of stuff. Start with the cam sensors.

Slash, find a good independent shop. Its worth its weight in gold.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Yep, same problems and codes. It can go months driving absolutely fine, and then die on me twice in a day.

Looking at a couple videos on YouTube, replacing just the cam sensor seems somewhat doable myself (provided I don't gently caress it up), but like you said, it could end up being the O2 sensors, an exhaust leak, bad wiring, etc.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Grouco posted:

Yep, same problems and codes. It can go months driving absolutely fine, and then die on me twice in a day.

Looking at a couple videos on YouTube, replacing just the cam sensor seems somewhat doable myself (provided I don't gently caress it up), but like you said, it could end up being the O2 sensors, an exhaust leak, bad wiring, etc.
From my experience on VW/Audi/BMW's, cam sensor codes are always the sensor or wiring, so 99.9% the sensor. Check the wire near the sensor, but I'd venture a new sensor will stop the dying issue. Make sure to clear codes after replacing it.

Do you have friends that take their car to an indy? I really recommend finding one for future stuff.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Just up and dying sounds very much like a cam/crank sensor. The ECM loses the signal, doesn't know where the motor is in the crank rotation, and shuts off fuel/spark. I wouldn't even worry about O2 or catalyst codes, mostly they'll just reduce your fuel economy if an O2 is bad. Clogged cat will stall a car, but not all of a sudden like that.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

What make? There might already be a thread in AI with where a lot of knowledgable guys hang out. Cam sensor swap makes me think Jeep and there are a buttload of Jeep guys there. Ask them before you take it to get looked at, it might be a 5 minute job.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
It's a 2003 Chrysler Concorde lxi (3.5L) :getout:

I did some googling and went out and bought a new camshaft position sensor yesterday. There were a couple youtube videos outlining the replacement process on some similar cars with the same engine, which seems fairly simple (take out a few bolts, lift up the intake a bit), so I'm going to try to put it in tomorrow with some help from my dad and a mechanically inclined co-worker.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Grouco posted:

It's a 2003 Chrysler Concorde lxi (3.5L) :getout:

I did some googling and went out and bought a new camshaft position sensor yesterday. There were a couple youtube videos outlining the replacement process on some similar cars with the same engine, which seems fairly simple (take out a few bolts, lift up the intake a bit), so I'm going to try to put it in tomorrow with some help from my dad and a mechanically inclined co-worker.

That era of Dodge products loves to eat CPSes. Good luck, it's not a terribly difficult repair, and should keep you running for a while once it's fixed.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Nocheez posted:

That era of Dodge products loves to eat CPSes. Good luck, it's not a terribly difficult repair, and should keep you running for a while once it's fixed.

Thanks. Had to postpone the repair until tomorrow since there aren't any free warehouse bays I could use at work. Hopefully it's just the CPS and not a more insidious electrical issue.

In other financial news, the January budget is looking good. I went a bit over in November and December due to my vacation and moving, but nothing that I couldn't "go with the flow" in YNAB. I had 10 out of 12 months in 2014 where my net worth went up, and that should increase to 12/12 for 2015. My monthly bills + living expenses come out to ~50% of my monthly income, so the other 50% will go towards building up a (new) used car fund, boosting my emergency fund, and then investing.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
th-th-thanks guys

:feelsgood:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That's great! How are things going overall?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Not too shabby.

My new job is going well, and I've settled into my new place + got a handle on my average monthly expenses. I received my tax refund yesterday, and will be receiving payment at the end of the month for a consulting/research contract.

I ended up switching out the CPS in my car, which seems to have been successful so far. There are still a few issues, but at least it's not shutting down while I'm motoring down the highway. Saving up a 'New Car' fund is my next short term goal now that I have an e-fund with 6 months of expenses. I have 2k saved for 'Car Maintenance,' so I'm thinking 6.5k in my 'New Car' fund will be sufficient to get a decent used Honda, Toyota, etc. As long as my current vehicle runs I'm not in a huge rush.

Nothing much else to note... my company's stock is doing really well, and right now I'm sitting on a 58% "paper" return in addition to the 50% return I get immediately through the company's match. I'll probably sell a portion of my holding sometime this year and re-allocate the funds into ETFs.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Nice work all around, Grouco!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Good job Grouco!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Excellent.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah man, going positive on the net worth for the first time is an awesome feeling!

• Locked thread