Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
So I just booked an Aeroflot flight to Korea with a layover in Moscow. What does one do with 22 hours in Moscow? I know I need to buy some sort of transit visa beforehand so I can leave the airport--will this be difficult? I don't really have anything planned, just checking out the Kremlin and red square. As a young woman traveling by myself, is this a horrible idea and should I immediately cancel while I can still get a refund????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I had a nice time travelling in Moscow alone as a young American woman. DEFINITELY get your visa sorted ASAP!

Trains/metro are amazing in Russia. You could just hop around the subway taking photos because they have chandeliers in the stations!
Red Square, St. Basils and the Kremlin won't disappoint.

Nothing is written bilingually so having a little cyrillic practice will reveal a surprising overlap with European languages- metro, pasaporte, biznes lunch, etc.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
You should probably check if you require some kind of visa for a transit that long on whatever passport you hold. It's rare but some nationalities require transit visas in certain destinations or they require visas even to transit. Check it out.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Are you going through Sheremetyevo? It is a terrible airport with the world's worst staff and ridiculous prices, so get out of there as quickly as you can. I'm sure Moscow itself is really great, and it will be worth going there just so you don't have to spend 22 hours in a Russian airport.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Get your visa sorted far in advance. Russia is awful for visas, and Russian officials love being difficult and obstructionist and corrupt.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wikipedia says you need to apply for a visa in advance through an embassy (or visa expedite service) if you want to leave the airport.

http://www.russianembassy.org/page/visa-processing-fees Transit visas are still hilariously expensive for US citizens!
https://visa.kdmid.ru The electronic application looks horrible, but the paper application I did years ago was horrible too. It was a 4-page resume with photo, that had to be printed on 2 sheets of paper front-and-back, NOT 4 pages of paper! If you don't live close to an Embassy, I'd get talking to a visa expedite service (like https://www.abriggs.com/)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Moscow is expensive and full of assholes, but the museums are great. If you don't speak Russian don't expect anyone to speak English or be even remotely interested in assisting you. The Metro is fantastic for getting around Moscow and will get you to pretty much anywhere worth getting to if you can read the signs. I suggest packing a Metro map in English and Russian.

Shibawanko posted:

Are you going through Sheremetyevo? It is a terrible airport with the world's worst staff and ridiculous prices, so get out of there as quickly as you can. I'm sure Moscow itself is really great, and it will be worth going there just so you don't have to spend 22 hours in a Russian airport.
Sheremetyevo is full of polite staff and reasonable prices compared to the rest of Moscow.

TheImmigrant posted:

Get your visa sorted far in advance. Russia is awful for visas, and Russian officials love being difficult and obstructionist and corrupt.
This. Russians only hate one thing more than other Russians and that's everyone else. Getting a visa will take forever so start now.

Otm Shank posted:

As a young woman traveling by myself, is this a horrible idea and should I immediately cancel while I can still get a refund????
No, but be on your guard. Honestly I'd suggest looking into a tour while you're there. Getting from the airport to wherever it starts won't be an issue and Moscow is much easier to navigate with someone who speaks the language.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Phoneposting from sheremetyevo right now, waiting for boarding in terminal d.

Gonna echo other goons - get your visa stuff sorted out beforehand. Knowing a bit of Cyrillic will go.a long way.

the whole Russiansare assaholed thing is a bit overblown, but don't expect customer is always right us-style accommodation. As long as your stuff is in order, papers, ticket etc, you will be fine.

As for the airport itself - it's really not bad. Overpriced (like all other airports really), a bit crowded sometimes, but my layover experience has been more than fine, and security checks are really quick, compared to, say Boston.

Free wifi everywhere, but there is a bit of a lack of power outlets, but they are there if you need them.

If you decide to go to the city do not go by car. It takes approx 2.5 hours to get anywhere in Moscow - city is really crowded.
There is a train that runs directly to the city center (iirc).Jo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

OWLS! posted:

Phoneposting from sheremetyevo right now, waiting for boarding in terminal d.

Watch out for drunk snowplow drivers driving on the runway.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/21/us-russia-total-ceo-idUSKCN0I92HF20141021

Good thing you're not at Vnukovo today.

• Locked thread