Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also: if you have a playtest thread not listed in the OP, let me know ASAP, and I'll correct it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Backstage at Galston House has not been playtested on the forums, and likely will not before the deadline. The arena has a bit of a component tracking problem that makes forum play really, really tricky. (Or more specifically, makes moderating a game exhausting.)

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Updated my entry substantially after playtesting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Though it's with only a few days left, I got approval for 2nd and 3rd place prizes of $15 and $10 in Level99 store credit! That means if you were debating putting in some last-minute work on your entry, I'd encourage you to do so, since your odds of walking away with a prize just tripled!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh dang. i need to update mine, it needs some serious changes. sadly i don't think i have time to playtest the changes, or the second half at all for that matter :(

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I haven't heard back from Wol since PMing him a couple of days ago, so I don't think the playtest of my revised version will finish in time. I updated my post to the revised version, though; making it a little easier to interact with the ghost was needed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's okay, I understand playtests run into issues like that, particularly with the limited about of time provided.

Tonight is the spookiest night, so have things settled by Noon EST tomorrow if you're going to.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Alright, things are wrapped up and I'm going to be starting my own playtesting for judging as soon as possible, hopefully by the end of the upcoming week, but possibly quite sooner.

I'd like to thank ActingPower, Androc, GMarshal, Gutter Owl, Heatwizard, Mystic Mongol, Poison Mushroom, Sefer, and Tollymain for entering! I'd also like to thank everybody who helped each other playtest games above, as well as Wol for helping out as well.

Thanks again! I'll post as soon as I have more details on the winners and prize fulfillment.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 2, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
There was a break in the middle, but my second playtest did manage to finish: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675882

The ghost definitely had a bigger effect the second time through.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Things were delayed while I did playtests of every arena submitted! It was a pretty tough call - there were a lot that were on the cusp, or that had great ideas that didn't activate for one reason or another. But without further ado:

#3) Mystic Mongol's Gesselheim Arena | Storm the Stage!
Gesselheim Arena has a pretty great theme, and the "punishment" of going into the edges to some extent can actually be a benefit, too, so it's a nice balance there. It also triggers often, meaning it isn't predictable, nor do you often see matches where the second stage doesn't trigger. Though it didn't see a forum playtest, it was a very strong design to begin with, and I don't see a lot I'd make in the way of changes.

#2) Sefer's Haunted Sewers | Angry Spirits!]

Sefer posted:

Empire of Gesselheim
Haunted Sewers
Grey bricks crumble all around, occasionally broken up by large pipes. You come across a spirit in an open area; it seems startled and cowers down. Perhaps you can ignore it.

Use the 7 space board. Players start one space from the edges.
Place a shy ghost marker in the center space. Start of beat, after player start of beat effects, check the position of the shy ghost. If it is in between two fighters or on the space of a fighter, nothing happens. Otherwise, if it is adjacent to a fighter, that fighter loses 1 life; if it is not adjacent to a fighter, it moves 1 space towards the closest fighter, and if it ends adjacent to a fighter that fighter loses 1 life.

If an attack that includes the ghost's space in its range misses, add one anger token a pool off to the side. If an attack that includes the ghost's space in its range hits, the target of the attack may choose to have the ghost soak 1 damage from the attack by adding an anger token to the pool.

Turning point: When there are 3 or more anger tokens in the pool during the recycle phase, flip this card.

Angered Spirits
The spirit has had enough. It advances inexorably, attacking any who get in its way.
Use the 7 space board. Players retain their positions, and the shy ghost token is replaced with an angry ghost token.

Start of beat, after player start of beat effects, the ghost moves towards the nearest player if it is not already on or adjacent to a player. If there is a tie for nearest, the ghost moves towards the active player. After this movement, it deals 1 damage to any adjacent player and any player it shares a space with. If it deals damage this way, remove an angry token from the pool.

If an attack that includes the ghost's space in its range misses, add one anger token a pool off to the side. If an attack that includes the ghost's space in its range hits, the target of the attack may choose to have the ghost soak 1 damage from the attack by adding an anger token to the pool.

When there are no more anger tokens in the pool, flip the card back. Players retain their positions and the angry ghost becomes a shy ghost again.

Haunted Sewers has a smaller effect than most, but it builds up over time if you're not careful. The key is that the positioning shifts, keeping it from being static, and it can be exploited well with well-timed movement. Though it shifts to the second phase reliably, it doesn't do so predictably, which helps keep it interesting.

#1) Council of Mirrors | The Shattered Labyrinth![quote="Androc" post="435463135"]Magocracy of Willat
Council of Mirrors
The meeting place of the magisterial council is a place rife with magical power and ancient symbolism. Magisters customarily enter masked, and an interlocking mechanism of mirrors makes it impossible to judge anyone's location. It's one of the true wonders of the modern world. You're gonna smash it up.

Entry: Use the 7-space board, characters start one space away from each edge.

Mechanics: Both players start with a reflection marker on the board in their opponent's space and two distortion tokens in their token pools. During recycle, a player that has not been stunned may move their reflection marker one space. As long as their reflection marker is not in the same space as an opponent, players may ante a distortion token to switch places with their reflection marker.

Turning point: When neither player has any distortion tokens in their token pool, flip this card.

Magocracy of Willat?
The Shattered Labyrinth
As the mirrors break, their magic is unleashed; the council chamber is transformed from an elaborate parlor trick to a nightmarish maze of distorted distances and impossible architecture. Only the strongest will escape!

Entry: Use the 7-space board, players start in their previous positions.

Mechanics: At the end of each even-numbered beat, both players gain a distortion token. During the ante step, a player may spend a distortion token to move to any empty space on the board.[/s]

-----

I want to thank everybody who entered or playtested. As my first contest, I learned a lot about this sort of thing, and hopefully it went smoothly enough for everybody involved. As for the winners, I'm going to need an e-mail address for prize fulfillment - go ahead and send them via PM. Hopefully we'll be doing this sort of thing again. If you have any suggestions, comments, or questions, feel free to let me know- feedback will help improve these sorts of events. I'll probably be talking about my thoughts on it all later, but for now, thanks again, and that's all!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 17, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Oh, wow, it's an absolute honor to be chosen among so many strong entries. Big thanks to my playtesters, my arena would have been a mess without them.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
I'm also really happy to be chosen. It was fun taking part in the contest, though I'm a little sad that Tolly's portal arena didn't get a playtest in the revised version. I really enjoyed how the movement worked out with that one.

Thank you to my playtesters, especially Wol who went through both versions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Congrats to the winners! Even if I didn't win, it was a fun thing to do so I'm looking forward to the next one.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Whoah! I ranked! Honestly I hadn't expected much, after I couldn't find the time to host a game. And then Poison Mushroom bit my style by also doing big fancy arena cards, but actually crediting the photographs, which seems mean. But I'm glad my efforts to have a mechanic that doesn't hard-support a certain playstyle and a flip event that regularly occurs without drowning in complexity was noticed.

I did misspell corple, though. I should fix that.

My schedule has cleared up a little, I'll start up a playtest or two later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

Whoah! I ranked!

I still need your e-mail for prize fulfillment! I've tried messaging you to no avail, so I'm jabbing at you publicly. Please get in touch.

• Locked thread