Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

What's all this about?
Youkai Watch is an anime, manga, and popular game. The anime is still ongoing and the second game was recently released in Japan. The games are soon to come to the west, and the anime is also soon to be licensed.
All mysterious and unexplained events of the world are the work of youkai. Keita and Whisper attempt to solve these questions via use of the youkai watch, acquiring new friendships and tokens which he can use to summon his youkai friends for battle. There are youkai for pretty much everything.

That sounds a lot like pokemon
Kind of, it's more of a parody on the genre. Lots of the youkai are pretty lazy, or opt to do hilarious things.

Why should I watch this?
It's funny as poo poo, occasionally some random references to current events too. Also, the Japanese is simpler due to it being a kids show, and mostly easy to understand with real life settings, so if you're into that kind of thing, turn the subtitles off and enjoy.

The OP is catchy too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79e5o0Lynk

Characters
They introduce two or three new ones per episode, mostly youkai, and you continue to see them throughout the show, with a few being more popular than others.

Keita

A really normal kid who ends up acquiring a wrist watch that lets him interact with youkai. He either befriends them, or beats them via summoning other youkai he's befriended. By doing so, youkai offer him youkai medals which can be loaded into the watch for summoning.

Whisper

Keita's self titled youkai butler. He's generally wrong and pretty useless. Carries around an iPad like device to look up various youkai on youkaipedia.

Jibanyan

A cat that turned into a youkai when he was struck by a car. Ends up moving in with Keita.

Jinmenken

A japanese salaryman turned youkai when he's killed by drunkenly walking into a pile of wooden boards and being smashed along with a poodle for some reason.

Komajiro and Komasan

Two country shrine youkai brothers, based on komainu guards. Both move to the big city, and Komasan constantly tries to impress his brother with his city knowledge. They have a lot of half episodes dedicated to just them. They also have a human form and can interact with people other than Keita.

Robonyan

:lol: OP characters. ILL BE BACK GUGUUAHHHHHHH.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I've seen an episode or two of this. I found it to be completely unremarkable in every way, especially in regard to children's entertainment. :geno:

Could you unpack a little bit why you feel this show is a cut above other shows like it? For example, you mentioned the humor- can you describe what exactly is so funny about these gags, or how they relate to current events? This isn't to be mean, or anything; I'm genuinely curious.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
IPhone 6 / General Apple fandom
http://youtu.be/L6Dlzjfr96Y 1:27

They introduce a recolor of Jibanyan as legendary youkai Bushinyan. Jibanyan hides in a closet and Bushinyan comes out right after. Its self deprecating humor regarding character recolors being more powerful in various RPG games.

When Robonyan is introduced, various scenes and spoken phrases are a direct homage to Terminator.

It gets better, basically. But some of the humor is very Japanese. There's a hikikomori youkai that makes you stay in your room all day. When it goes places, sometimes the closet it lives in comes too. There's a youkai that makes you overheat in the bath, and he defeats a bunch of youkai and then a random old guy that can't see youkai gets on the bath and jacks up the heat and the youkai passes out.

One episode they make fun of 7/8 heads tall figure drawing. More heads = better than.

Anyway, its just a funny, lighthearted show. Primarily I am watching it for Japanese practice, but the characters are pretty hilarious. Komajiro and Komasan are my favorites, they don't get introduced until a bit later on.

It is sorta like Fairly Oddparents. It's very much for children, but there is a fair amount of pop culture references so adults who might be watching with their kids aren't bored mindless.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 27, 2014

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
So, I've been hearing about Youkai Watch for a while now, but have neglected to actually look into it thus far -- something, something, kid's fads, etc.

Then again, I was 12 once (the year Pokémon came out in America, in fact), and I can certainly see the appeal of this. Oh, and after watching the clip you posted above: I'm sorry, but "Steve Jaws" is loving hilarious, and I refuse to hear otherwise. :colbert:

Anyway, once I've spent some time with the show, I'll report back into this thread.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
0:34-3:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw1BVfTzdXU
Fast food conspiracies.
These guys are Komasan and Komajiro. The white one is always trying to teach the yellow one something, to be a cool brother. But the yellow one understands the human world a lot more, i.e. goes clubbing and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf3OY3uYYY4
Will Sumisupaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ZnKkQumGA
7:30 A youkai that makes you sweat nonstop. It can't stop you from sweating, but it has a spring time of youth mode that makes you look cool doing it. (As every sports anime would have you believe)

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Youkai Watch is great because it's like pokemon, but instead of getting all the monsters in one set you have to buy each one individually and they're impossible to find on store shelves.

That's my understanding at least. I'd probably be a total sucker for it.

• Locked thread