Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

As of the end of September 2014, Radiohead are in the studio working on the follow-up to 2011's The King Of Limbs, which is still my least favorite album of theirs to date. I'm hoping they'll make a strong comeback with their next effort.

In the meantime, Thom Yorke dropped a new solo album today, 9/26/14, entitled "Tomorrow's Modern Boxes."

quote:

Tracklist:

1) A Brain In A Bottle
2) Guess Again!
3) Interference
4) The Mother Lode
5) Truth Ray
6) There Is No Ice (For My Drink)
7) Pink Section
8) Nose Grows Some

On first listen, this album takes a different direction than his last solo album, 2006's The Eraser. It's electronic and dark and cold like The Eraser was, but he seems to have borrowed pages from artists he's collaborated with in the past like Burial and Four Tet, in addition to retaining some of the same kinds of sounds that appeared on last year's Atom For Peace debut, Amok. It's more abstract and less of a singles album than The Eraser.

You can buy the album here in digital (via BitTorrent) and vinyl formats. There doesn't seem to be a CD release for this album at this time.
http://tomorrowsmodernboxes.com/

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I've just gone through my first listen and I'm not too impressed. Very similar to Amok in that he doesn't seem to hit the same vocal earnestness as he does with Radiohead and on The Eraser. I probably enjoyed the bizarre poo poo in the last few tracks the most. On the other hand there's never been a Yorke-related album that didn't grow on me over time so I expect I'll end up enjoying it for a month or so.

Like many I was tepid on TKOL when it first came out but as soon as I saw them live it entirely transformed my opinion of it. So I have no inherent problem with the direction of Yorke's sound, I think it just needs the rest of Radiohead to reach the epic intensities of their earlier stuff.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
Guess the chances of getting this on spottily are slim.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Might as well ask this here: does anyone know if there's an archive/compiled list of Thom's playlists he posts occasionally on Dead Air Space?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Only heard the first track, and it is boring as poo poo. I used to adore Thom's electronic work more than anything, but between Amok and this, I'm not at all impressed. There just doesn't seem to be any sort of passion or dynamics going on.

How's the rest of the album?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Barry Foster posted:

Only heard the first track, and it is boring as poo poo. I used to adore Thom's electronic work more than anything, but between Amok and this, I'm not at all impressed. There just doesn't seem to be any sort of passion or dynamics going on.

How's the rest of the album?

Eggnogium posted:

I've just gone through my first listen and I'm not too impressed. Very similar to Amok in that he doesn't seem to hit the same vocal earnestness as he does with Radiohead and on The Eraser. I probably enjoyed the bizarre poo poo in the last few tracks the most. On the other hand there's never been a Yorke-related album that didn't grow on me over time so I expect I'll end up enjoying it for a month or so.

Like many I was tepid on TKOL when it first came out but as soon as I saw them live it entirely transformed my opinion of it. So I have no inherent problem with the direction of Yorke's sound, I think it just needs the rest of Radiohead to reach the epic intensities of their earlier stuff.
If y'all are going into this expecting it to sound like Radiohead stuff or The Eraser, then of course you'll be disappointed. Like I said in the OP, this isn't a singles album. To me, this sounds more like Thom made an album of himself doing a DJ set of minimal electronic stuff and sung over parts of it.

Although Barry, if you didn't dig Amok either, I don't know what to tell you. I thought that album had a bunch of memorable songs and I still listen to it often. That was one of my favorite albums of last year.

Eggnogium, I've never seen them live myself (though I have seen videos of several live performances they've done), but I have come around to TKOL a bit since its release, it's just still my least favorite thing they've done. For example, I think Give Up The Ghost is one of the best songs they've done in a long time, and I think Lotus Flower and Separator are pretty solid, but as for songs like Bloom, Feral, and Little By Little, I could never hear those again for the rest of my life and be perfectly fine with that. I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say that I'd rather listen to Pablo Honey again over TKOL. I've been listening to the songs from Pablo Honey for like 10+ years at this point and I'm still not sick of hearing most of them, but as for the majority of TKOL, I just didn't feel like I connected with it much at all when it was first released and even now that it's been a few years since that album came out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
FYI Thom Yorke made the best song of his solo career for a Twilight soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7nz6-UVrmU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

FYI Thom Yorke made the best song of his solo career for a Twilight soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7nz6-UVrmU

This song is so so underrated. It should be up there with How to Disappear, Pyramid Song, Paranoid Android etc in the TY/Radiohead canon

It's a shame it was 'wasted' on a film soundtrack. Just imagine it with a Greenwood string arrangement :negative:

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 27, 2014

ReActor
Jun 1, 2000

MEANIE
When I saw Radiohead about 2 years ago, the only things about it that wasn't completely ace were the new songs. Long, long jams based around simple grooves, big instrumentation but minimal melody, that seemed to go nowhere dynamically. I get the impression that generally modern Radiohead/Thom Yorke is about shying away from straightforward song dynamics (or at least traditional western song dynamics). Fine but not much to get your teeth into.

Edit: And for chrissakes that ponytail HAS TO GO.

ReActor fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 27, 2014

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I will state that while TKOL isn't quite up there with their best, I still put it on to listen to Bloom and the entire back half. Hearing it live though it has so much more energy, I wish they weren't always so restrained in recording.

I've never been as big of fan of his solo/Atoms for Peace stuff but there's always a few tracks that stick with me. It actually excites me a little that he got this solo album done right before the new Radiohead stuff too, last time when he got the Eraser out he was able to focus with the full band on a more organic sound with In Rainbows.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

tkol is the best album, bloom is the best opener radiohead have done and give up the ghost is their best song. the live versions from the basement are perfect.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I was a bit disparaging about A Brain In A Bottle, and I still think it's a pretty weak sauce track, but the rest of the album is actually pretty great. Interference and Truth Ray are current standouts.

Also, I swear I've heard The Mother Lode somewhere before.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

tkol could have been an amazing album because they definitely had the material (staircase and the daily mail are amazing songs) but i guess they just got bored of the direction or lost interest in making the album so put out what they had at the time. it really gives off the vibe of being disjointed and incomplete to me

having said that i love the second half of the album, and codex in particular is easily one of the best songs they've ever done. excited to check out thom's new album

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm having trouble playing Tomorrow's Modern Boxes in iTunes. The files are good - I've played them in other media players, and they're OK. All I get in iTunes is 5 seconds of the track before it skips to the next one.

EDIT: The files also play fine on my iPhone.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 30, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looking forward to the TKoL follow-up; I love that album, it's like a spiritual successor to Amnesiac.

New TY EP looks like a good appetizer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pirate Jet posted:

And he made one of the best songs of his band's career for a Romeo & Juliet soundtrack.

opus111 posted:

tkol is the best album, bloom is the best opener radiohead have done and give up the ghost is their best song. the live versions from the basement are perfect.

The best Radiohead album to gently caress to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

second-hand smegma posted:

The best Radiohead album to gently caress to.
Seems like it'd be a boner-killer to me. Besides maybe Give Up The Ghost.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Seems like it'd be a boner-killer to me. Besides maybe Give Up The Ghost.

you would have sex to give up the ghost? ytou are a very strange person.

the best radiohead songto bang to is obvuolsy pull'/pulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Today is Thom's 46th birthday, and he's probably more experimental now than he's ever been. Happy birthday, you old geezer.

• Locked thread