Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I tricked a war-chief into attacking a graug and he ended up killing him. I go to check his stats to see if he had any new strengths and his motive said this.

Jesus Christ, this game. :psyduck:

It's been 2 years and over 100 hours and I'm still finding new poo poo. Hell, just recently I had an orc make fun of me because I kept grabbing orcs to take as shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's even lines for if you keep shooting orcs in the legs so they can't run away!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the only thing that i haven't found lines for is orcs running away from you and coming back later. like, not you killing them, you knocking them into retreating/exploiting their fear and them coming back at you for humiliating them. the closest i got was one captain who ran away from me a lot, and eventually started taunting me about ME escaping

i was like 'uh dude your pants are still wet from the last time i made you piss yourself'

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I did an experiment in Mordor where I found a guy with a flaming weapon and tried to see if he could develop a fear of fire, just throwing him through bonfires over and over and letting him get away. The experiment didn't work (because I never actually killed him with the fire, I guess?) but there was a point at which I came up to him for like the dozenth time and he just screamed "WHY WON'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!?"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Coolguye posted:

the only thing that i haven't found lines for is orcs running away from you and coming back later. like, not you killing them, you knocking them into retreating/exploiting their fear and them coming back at you for humiliating them. the closest i got was one captain who ran away from me a lot, and eventually started taunting me about ME escaping

i was like 'uh dude your pants are still wet from the last time i made you piss yourself'
I've had lines based on what fear I triggered. "You won't have a bunch of traitors to hide behind this time!" for instance.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Help me get into this. I can see a fun game here but I'm so much trouble just getting into a flow. I need a reason to do things in a beat em up and I'm struggling to find them. I've got all these markers on the map telling me to go kill this or that orc but no motivation to do it besides "it's an orc, kill it." I think I'm supposed to be looking for this Black Hand fellow and killing orcs to get information on him but when I kill them they just die and grabbing them to interrogate seems either impossible or really really hard (I mean the marked captains not the wandering guy you interrogate to find out more about the captains).

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's sort of all there is to it. It's very much a make your own fun kind of thing.

On the Black Hand front you need to get captains to the green health bar state to interrogate them, and as long as you're able to get them into the kneeling animation and jam into the Interrogate prompt before someone hits you out of it you have immunity.

E: I will say that if you're not having any fun with it, try fast tracking the story until you get to play Orc Chess in the second map. Maybe that will be more compelling.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 29, 2016

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Pushing yourself through the story is definitely wort it - as well as being able to build your own army, you get a bunch of ways to control/ride the wildlife and some other interesting ways to kill orcs.

If you really need direction, the game's challenges and collectables are probably a good shout, just as map markers to run towards. It's very much a "pick a place and gently caress up everything you meet on the way there" game, and most of my fun was in finding and attempting ways of doing said loving up. You do kind of need to just pick a place though, the game is pretty awful at giving you any emotional motivation beyond it being really fun to mess around.

It is about setting yourself challenges though. Some suggestions: try and get control over as much of the board as possible; deliberately die to one guy a bunch of times so he gets promoted and gets a whole lot scarier; don't collect information on every captain and fortress, so it's a surprise when you get ambushed and you can figure it out as you go along; get half a dozen caragors on your side and bash the door down rather than stealth every fortress; try to do something using only the bow, or only the sword; die or pass time every so often to shuffle the board around and get new captains.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I got the hang of it. I was having trouble getting my bearings on exactly what kind of game it is but then I found I could climb up walls, do air assassinations, stealth kills and realized it's just Assassin's Creed in Middle-Earth. Same HUD and everything.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I got the hang of it. I was having trouble getting my bearings on exactly what kind of game it is but then I found I could climb up walls, do air assassinations, stealth kills and realized it's just Assassin's Creed in Middle-Earth. Same HUD and everything.

not really, you are kind of missing a major element of the game. AC has nothing at all like the nemesis system which I think for most is a huge part of the appeal.

the random guards/soldiers and whatnot that you fight in AC games have no personality at all, nor do the nameless crowds of people you are constantly pushing yourself through in the various cities, and nothing that you do has any lasting impact on any of them. the only meaningful interactions between the player and any other characters are entirely scripted, and mostly take place in cut scenes.

the crowds of orcs you are dealing with in Mordor are not like that, you will get to know them and they will get to know you, and their personalities will come to be defined based on what you do when you fight them, how you kill them, how they kill you, etc. and this also has an effect on their career and standing among other orcs. and most of that is completely freeform and fluid, not restricted to scripted story scenes.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 29, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Eh, I'm not that far into it but it seems that's just a system to define random targets to assassinate and what method to use to do that. The basic gameplay of how you interact with the world is exactly like Assassin's Creed. Which isn't a bad thing, I love Assassin's Creed games.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Earwicker posted:

the crowds of orcs you are dealing with in Mordor are not like that, you will get to know them and they will get to know you, and their personalities will come to be defined based on what you do when you fight them, how you kill them, how they kill you, etc. and this also has an effect on their career and standing among other orcs. and most of that is completely freeform and fluid, not restricted to scripted story scenes.

Case in point: in a recent fight, I had an Orc plead with Talion to stop cutting off their heads before I even got started. To be fair, I was abusing Storm of Urfael a fair bit in the last few fights.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do the red nemesis quests ever end or does a new one pop up as soon as you finish one because that orc gets replaced? Whoever said this was the best beat em up was right. It's so fluid and satisfying and loving brutal.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They just come up whenever two orcs are fighting. You can probably just ignore them unless you're particularly interested in promoting or killing one particular orc, or you just fancy another opportunity to stab a lot of people.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah orcs are constantly getting up to rowdy nonsense - as long as there aren't at least a few of those quests on the map then some of the current crop of Orc captains will decide to hold a feast or an execution or a duel or whatever for you to mess with. If you decide none of the current batch is interesting you can always take a nap in a ghost tower to let all their orc business resolve and start a new set.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah orcs are constantly getting up to rowdy nonsense - as long as there aren't at least a few of those quests on the map then some of the current crop of Orc captains will decide to hold a feast or an execution or a duel or whatever for you to mess with. If you decide none of the current batch is interesting you can always take a nap in a ghost tower to let all their orc business resolve and start a new set.

Might even be worth letting one orc kill you so another new Nemesis pops up.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Help me get into this. I can see a fun game here but I'm so much trouble just getting into a flow. I need a reason to do things in a beat em up and I'm struggling to find them. I've got all these markers on the map telling me to go kill this or that orc but no motivation to do it besides "it's an orc, kill it." I think I'm supposed to be looking for this Black Hand fellow and killing orcs to get information on him but when I kill them they just die and grabbing them to interrogate seems either impossible or really really hard (I mean the marked captains not the wandering guy you interrogate to find out more about the captains).

If nothing else, train the ultimate orc army. Cull the weak orcs, the orcs with a ton of "Kill the Ranger" specific skills, and harvest runes from their blood. Find initiates with "attacks in rapid succession" and "hate of pain" to train up through the ranks on lesser orcs. Send dominated minions against them and threaten them and harden them through battle (that you win for them). Build the ultimate orc army with the hardest to find orcs that both look awesome and are absolutely loving lethal specifically against other orcs, or who will run like hell the moment anyone touches them leaving you to clean up their stupid loving messes. Watch helplessly as the captain you've been grooming to level 20 with his horde of like 20 followers cause he has two follower skills gets slashed once by an enemy captain with three damage increasing skills and falls over dead.

Build yourself an orc army made entirely or orcs with orc killing skills.

I'm a month in and I've only got three warchiefs with 2 captains as bodyguards a piece. Everyone else didn't make the cut or I got them killed by accident.

This game is hilarious.

Be stupid. Talk to your orcs. Make up stories. Stop using fast travel except when you want to accelerate time forward. Give the game time to throw a captain who's head you cut off half an hour ago at you again.

This is a game to appreciate. They don't explicitly throw it at you, but act like this is prototype. Use the environment, sneak around and poison grog to distract orcs because you can. Sew chaos, try to ignore that there aren't nearly enough specific or graudated responses from orcs. Engage captains and fast forward time in alternating bursts to fill the ranks and then thin them again, and have time to death threat people and stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I tried to play Orc Pokemon but I was saddened to find that it seemed possible for my orc to get one shot by any other orc. They seemed to ignore skills and health bars. I can't remember if I was using branding or not, does that change things? Am I missing something about this mechanic? Which are the orc killing skills?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

TheSpiritFox posted:

Talk to your orcs.

As in talk to the screen like a madman or interrogate them or is there some command I've completely missed that lets me shoot the poo poo with orcs I've branded?

I've been trying to play The Bright Lord DLC. Does it get better? Right now it feels kinda tedious and boring. I've gone from playing this maxed out ranger to this kinda weedy elf and every mission is just to brand orcs - when I'd much rather be slaughtering them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Come back and tell us your ways, TheSpiritFox

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bright lord definitely revolves around branding orcs and making them go nuts for you, which imo is pretty funny but that's sort of the theme the character is built around so you can expect to see it a lot.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I just finished this the other day and I have to say I was really disappointed with the last bit of this game. The final two boss fights were really disappointing. Was there any official reason why it seemed so phoned in?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stumpus posted:

I just finished this the other day and I have to say I was really disappointed with the last bit of this game. The final two boss fights were really disappointing. Was there any official reason why it seemed so phoned in?

The last section of most games is usually the most rushed and least polished because the far fewest number of people will see it so when time or budget crunches come into play it is the biggest victim.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there isn't like any official chatter but it's pretty obvious the last 1/3rd of the game was very rushed

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I tried to play Orc Pokemon but I was saddened to find that it seemed possible for my orc to get one shot by any other orc. They seemed to ignore skills and health bars. I can't remember if I was using branding or not, does that change things? Am I missing something about this mechanic? Which are the orc killing skills?

You have infinite pokemon and the only reason to really value any of them is unique headgear, so just revel in their slaughter. You can train them up after you brand them by intervening in their trials, when they're maxed out its less likely they'll get KO'd. You can level them up before you brand them by letting them kill you too.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

As in talk to the screen like a madman or interrogate them or is there some command I've completely missed that lets me shoot the poo poo with orcs I've branded?

I've been trying to play The Bright Lord DLC. Does it get better? Right now it feels kinda tedious and boring. I've gone from playing this maxed out ranger to this kinda weedy elf and every mission is just to brand orcs - when I'd much rather be slaughtering them.

Like a goddamn madman, always.

Also "Non Orc Killing Skills" is just the skills that only apply to your character. Immune to combat finishers and stealth are irrelevant to orc on orc violence, but immune to ranged means no lucky rear end in a top hat with a bow is going to three shot your captain. Fears are useless filler, but hates that can trigger anywhere that make your dude recharge are not. Hate of Pain is amazing because the second your orc gets hit he starts regaining health and does more damage. Extra damage traits are always useful, while "uncounterable attacks" and "sniffer" and "hate of graugs" are all pretty much entirely pointless.

And never, ever, ever use a captain with just a one handed sword unless his skills are phenomenal. Shields, arrows, or regular attack counters are too good to give up.

I once had an archer who had triple shot, explosive shot, and regains health by damaging enemies plus the backing away from combat to shoot from range skills and he murdered everything I ever sent him after.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 9, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How many orcs can I kill at once with that brand kill power and do they still drop runes?
Can I kill a branded Captain and keep him branded when he revives?
At what multiplier can I straight up execute a Captain? It never worked.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Scalding Coffee posted:

How many orcs can I kill at once with that brand kill power and do they still drop runes?
Can I kill a branded Captain and keep him branded when he revives?
At what multiplier can I straight up execute a Captain? It never worked.

All branded orcs in the area will die if you use that power, and will drop runes if they're captains. Branded captains don't revive, if you kill a branded you'll have to brand a replacement manually.

The Execute ability doesn't instakill captains unless they have the trait that causes them to be instakilled by combat finishers. Instead, Execute will do a healthy chunk of damage. Some captains are Combat Masters and are outright immune to Execute attacks as well as sword attacks in general.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

All branded orcs in the area will die if you use that power, and will drop runes if they're captains. Branded captains don't revive, if you kill a branded you'll have to brand a replacement manually.

The Execute ability doesn't instakill captains unless they have the trait that causes them to be instakilled by combat finishers. Instead, Execute will do a healthy chunk of damage. Some captains are Combat Masters and are outright immune to Execute attacks as well as sword attacks in general.

Execute also works if they are under the effect of a fear, or if they have dropped low enough in health that the finisher kills them, excepting orcs who require you to finish the job with the quick time event no matter what.

Oh and if you want a chance for an orc captain to come back, grab shank kills, arrow kills, and stealth kills are all ways to not cut the head off an orc. I haven't figured out anything about how different combat finishers are triggered, so that you could control whether you stab your orc in the chest or cut it's head off. If it's not random I think positioning relative to the orc is the deciding factor.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 11, 2016

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
How do you permanently kill an Orc Captain? I have one guy (fittingly titled "Pigug the Unkillable") who just keeps coming back. He kept taunting Talion by saying his spellfire isn't good enough, but I've had Talion just up and drive his sword through the guy's face with an Execution finisher. He still comes back.

The rest of the ones I kill have stayed dead.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ibntumart posted:

How do you permanently kill an Orc Captain? I have one guy (fittingly titled "Pigug the Unkillable") who just keeps coming back. He kept taunting Talion by saying his spellfire isn't good enough, but I've had Talion just up and drive his sword through the guy's face with an Execution finisher. He still comes back.

They're supposed to stay dead if you decapitate them or ghost explode their head, but even that doesn't always work.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ibntumart posted:

Have another orc kill them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A decapitation/head explode will indicate death, but you can't force them to happen. The only way I know to ensure a permanent kill is to have a Graug eat them. I've never once seen someone come back from that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My favorite is if you kill a captain by using your Darth Vader choke on him sometimes when he comes back his skin is all bleached white by your ghost magic and his little description says he's really freaked out by it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
In my case, the undying Orc now wears a hood and always runs away when I've got his health down.

Which leads to another question: how does one stop or catch up to a Captain who's immune to ranged weapons (no arrow-pinning or dagger throw stuns)? I swear he runs more quickly than other Orcs. Should I just keep a caragor handy?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ibntumart posted:

In my case, the undying Orc now wears a hood and always runs away when I've got his health down.

Which leads to another question: how does one stop or catch up to a Captain who's immune to ranged weapons (no arrow-pinning or dagger throw stuns)? I swear he runs more quickly than other Orcs. Should I just keep a caragor handy?

You could use a shadow strike ability. You wouldn't actually do any damage, but it would close the gap enough for you to start attacking in earnest.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ibntumart posted:

Go into focus mode and just keep moving towards it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Brand him and then blow his head up with the release branded command.

ibntumart posted:

Yeah I agree shadow strike him, then go into focus to get in front of him, and smack him in the face with your sword into grabbing him.

• Locked thread