Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm honestly surprised at how fast I managed to take down the final boss.

27 - Finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
This fight is why I don't want to ever replay this game, it's such a long and difficult fight, even with the reduced HP the International versions have, for a finale, having 3 bosses in a row is a pain but it stands out badly in a Mario RPG since it's probably going to be way too difficult for the game's younger target audience.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

This fight is why I don't want to ever replay this game, it's such a long and difficult fight, even with the reduced HP the International versions have, for a finale, having 3 bosses in a row is a pain but it stands out badly in a Mario RPG since it's probably going to be way too difficult for the game's younger target audience.

I beat this game when I was eleven and SuperStar Saga as well when I was maybe eight or something. v:v:v I still think SuperStar Saga's final boss is way harder than this one.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
SSS's final boss at least has the nastiest gimmick right off the bat. If you can survive one round, you're good to go. It might still take a few tries, but it's not going to drag out in your successful run.

This just looked grueling.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Man, You know this game looked pretty interesting and I was hoping to see an LP of it. The game started out pretty interesting and apart from the 'needlessly make fun of luigi way too much' it was pretty great. Then I noticed I kept pressing the right arrow key during videos more and more towards the end of the game through battles and welp.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I never actually finished Superstar Saga because I was horrible at the jumping minigames as a kid. I somehow managed this but I have no idea how I put up with that.

Even back then I thought the game making GBS threads on Luigi all the time was dumb.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's really a shame this couldn't live up to Bowser's Inside Story but I'm glad you showed it off anyway, it's nice to see what I missed in the DS RPGs even if in this case it wasn't as much fun as it could have been. Thanks ChaosArgate and Jobbo Fett!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
You know, I thought the final boss was the last big thing I remembered from this game... but it turns out I didn't remember a thing of the Elder Shroob fight! I was inventing memories of a different boss fight or something... still just as tedious, though. It's weird, because I can absolutely remember everything about the Cackletta Soul fight from Superstar Saga (not everything from the Bowletta fight, though; I frequently overleveled before that and have beaten it in one move before). Oh well, so ends the worst of the Mario and Luigi games. Thanks for playing it for us anyways, I certainly wouldn't have remembered anything about it otherwise.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah...I do not think I could tolerate a 30+ minute boss rushslog like that. This whole game had potential, but just failed to live up to the success of its predecessor. It started out interesting, but devolved into a boring repetitive chore by about the midpoint. Couple that with weak plot in areas and the "Make sure we take a gigantic poo poo all over Luigi because it's funny!" moments, and Partners in Time is just bad.

Thanks for everything, Chaos.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I played the US version and I really, REALLY don't remember the fights going on this long. Yes, I did get to the end.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Man even the final boss music in this isn't good. It sounds like a it would be a decent intro to a song but it never actually starts, if you get what I mean.

Compare this to Bowser's Inside Story.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cheez posted:

I played the US version and I really, REALLY don't remember the fights going on this long. Yes, I did get to the end.

This is honestly a lot shorter than I thought it would take. I mean my timers counted the times I dicked around in menus, so who knows. :shrug: If you wanna try it yourself with my loadouts, I'm happy to provide a DesMuMe save file if you'd like.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Man even the final boss music in this isn't good. It sounds like a it would be a decent intro to a song but it never actually starts, if you get what I mean.

Compare this to Bowser's Inside Story.

Hell, this final boss theme sucks even in comparison to Super Star Saga's like two years before. I love Shimomura's stuff, usually, but this is her weakest soundtrack; fittingly so, for the weakest Mario RPG.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I can absolutely remember everything about the Cackletta Soul fight from Superstar Saga (not everything from the Bowletta fight, though; I frequently overleveled before that and have beaten it in one move before).

To be fair, superstar saga had the shroom slacks, great force(? acc that doubled damage given and recieved), and infinite shot bros powers. If you felt like breaking the game you spent a good chunk of the game ending every fight in one round.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are there still things to show off in Partners in Time or are you done with that game? Also, I'm looking forward to the finale of the dancing game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there still things to show off in Partners in Time or are you done with that game? Also, I'm looking forward to the finale of the dancing game.

He's done. There's no postgame stuff or any sidequests (not that there really have been any) left to cover.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
For whatever reason this is the only Mario & Luigi game I didn't buy, and from the looks of it if I had to miss any of them I made the right choice. The localization team really went out of their way to make the battles as tediously long as possible later on.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

FoolyCharged posted:

To be fair, superstar saga had the shroom slacks, great force(? acc that doubled damage given and recieved), and infinite shot bros powers. If you felt like breaking the game you spent a good chunk of the game ending every fight in one round.

Yeah but it's still being done to the final boss :v:

I guess what I really want is the optional superboss stuff from Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team ported back to Superstar Saga, I had more fun with Bros. Attacks and other combat-related stuff there than the equivalents in the later games. EDIT: Y'know, fights balanced around just how hard you could break that game. I think that'd be fun.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 18, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man now you've just reminded me how much cooler M&L:SS's final boss was. I mean sure you could three round it in it's entirety, but when you weren't breaking the game getting blown up and eaten alive where you then take on the evil witches soul from 1 hit point was just awesome in a way that this game doesn't really deliver. That said, PiT's gimmick boss mechanics themselves were pretty nifty and something I wish there had been more of.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There should be an LP achievement badge for LPing a long, bad, game and doing it well. Not a comically bad game, just and out and out slog. They could call it the Partners In Time Badge.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Spielmeister posted:

For whatever reason this is the only Mario & Luigi game I didn't buy, and from the looks of it if I had to miss any of them I made the right choice. The localization team really went out of their way to make the battles as tediously long as possible later on.

I think I talked about this earlier already, but it appears that the US version of this game was actually finalized first to get it out before Christmas, while the JP and EU versions got an extra month of polishing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nothing to see here folks, fixed video is down a few posts. Also M&L2 has hit the NA eShop so don't buy it.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 26, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That video doesn't have any sound.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kurieg posted:

That video doesn't have any sound.

MeGUI!!! :argh:

Fixed version is going up now.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Now it's private.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That's because the fixed version took forever to upload.

http://youtu.be/x6uvyhwgx5Q

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will you be showing the ending?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Will you be showing the ending?

I will, I've just been caught up with other things. I'll try to have the ending up by the end of the week.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I find the juxtaposition of actual DDR Mario and battles that may as well be DDR Mario kind of neat in contrast, actually.

What I'm taking away is, the M&L RPGs would benefit enormously from beat-synced attacks and a variety of battle themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Delays in posting the latest update due to a computer that has self-destructed.

• Locked thread