Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Since Mary, Queen of Scotland, was a child the English have wanted her country and her crown. She is sent to France to wed its next king, to save herself and her people - a bond that should protect her, but there are forces that conspire, forces of darkness, forces of the heart. Long may she reign.

Reign is a dramatization of the life of Mary, Queen of Scots. It begins as Mary is brought into the French Court for her protection from the English. Upon her arrival, Nostradamus alerts Queen Catherine that if the marriage was to go through, Mary would cause the death of her firstborn. Queen Catherine is a schemer par excellence, and Mary herself is no slouch, so once the romance stuff to please the CW gets out of the way, what you get is a political thriller set in the late 1550s.

Beyond this point, it is assumed that you know what happened in Season 1 of Reign.

Our Cast

Royals

Mary Stuart (Adelaide Kane)

The Queen of Scotland and France, and our primary protagonist. Mary recently declared her intentions to vie for the crown of England to please the insane Henry. However, now that Henry is dead, will she continue trying to take the crown? History says yes.

Catherine de Medici (Megan Follows)

The former Queen of Scotland and mother of Francis, Catherine is protective of her children, and this fact brings her in conflict with Mary as often as it sees the two of them team up. Without her husband there, and with a Queen who at best tolerates her, is her time at the castle limited? Hopefully not, as she's the best character.

King Francis II of France (Toby Regbo)

The King of France. Francis is the kindhearted stalwart type, unlike the fragile weak-bodied man he was in reality (explained in the story as a “blind painter”). When he heard Mary's lady in waiting Lola was giving birth to his child (he did not know at the time that the child was his), Francis rushed off into a plague-ridden village. Will this rash decision cause his early demise, as Nostradamus predicted?

Sebastian de Poitiers (Torrance Coombs)

Sebastian, or “Bash,” is the television original son of Diane de Poitiers. He is the third leg of the love triangle added by the CW. Forced to marry Kenna and given the title of "Master of Horse and Hunt" by Henry at the height of his insanity. The two of them are making do, and may actually fall in love as time goes on.

The Four Marys, Mary's Ladies in Waiting:
Note: Historically, they were all named Mary, but their names were changed for this because that would just cause confusion.

Kenna (Caitlin Stasey)

The most political of Mary's ladies. Her goal was to marry a man of title and secure herself a life in the French court. She attracted the attention of King Henry, and spent most of the season as his mistress, until she asked him to find her a husband of title, and he gave Bash a title and forced them to marry at literal swordpoint.

Lola (Anna Popplewell)

The unluckiest of all of Mary's ladies. The first episode ends with a boy Lola has a crush on getting killed for trying to rape Mary, and that sets the tone for her character as the show progresses. Lola slept with Francis during a part of the season where Mary isn't engaged to him, and winds up pregnant from this encounter. She very quickly needs to marry a man to hide this, and finds Lord Julien, who agrees to marry her despite her pregnancy. At the end of the season, she kills Lord Julien's uncle, and on the way back to the French Court to cover this up, she goes into labor in a plague-ridden village without any midwives.

Greer (Celina Sinden)

The wealthiest of Mary's ladies, Greer is from a family who has money but no title, so they sent her to France to marry a man with a title. She finds herself, however, attracted to a young kitchen boy named Leith. At the end of the season, she spurns the now-titled Leith to marry the wealthier, genuinely nice, and utterly boring Lord Castleroy.

Promoted to Main Cast Member
Leith Bayard (Jonathan Keltz)

A kitchen boy who falls in love with Greer. After he is caught with Greer, Henry attempts to have him executed, but Lord Castleroy manages to get his sentence reduced to army time. In the army, he saves the life of Francis, and is rewarded with money and a title. Overjoyed, he returned to Greer, expecting her to love him now, but she spurns him and he goes all Nice Guy on her.

Conde, Prince of the Blood (Sean Teale)

Mysterious new cast member, who is going to strike up a friendship with Francis, which in Reign terms means they're going to be at each other's throats by episode 8.

Notable Recurring Cast
Mary's Ladies' Suitors
Lord Aloysius Castleroy (Michael Therriault)

Pepper!

Lord Julien (Giacomo Gianniotti)

Lord Julien is dead. Giacomo Gianniotti is playing Remy, Julien's former manservant who stole his identity once he found this out. He marries Lola, planning to run off after getting her money, but instead they fall in love. After he is found out by Julien's uncle, Lola murders his uncle, and they plot to fake fake-Julien's death to cover this up.

Other members of the French Court
Nostradamus (Rossif Sutherland)

The Royal Physician who can tell the future. Although he is younger than the real Nostradamus, he has the ear of Queen Catherine, and it was his vision of the death of Catherine's firstborn that would drive the early season's plot. Had a relationship with Olivia, a former mistress of Francis, but sent her off to the New World to protect her from Catherine's wrath.

Diane de Poitiers (Anna Walton)

Bash's mother, and the late King's mistress. Since Henry is no longer there to protect her from Catherine, expect her to get a nice castle somewhere far, far away from the castle and her son.

Christian, Duke of Guise (Gil Darnell)

Mary's uncle. The commander of one of Europe's biggest armies, and allowed Francis and Mary to use it for a position in the French Court. Was introduced late in the season, so there's not much to say. Historically was a major player in the reign of Mary and Francis.

In Memoraim
Aylee (Jenessa Grant)

Poisoned by Clarissa. Had no character.

Clarissa (Katie Boland)

The ghost of the French Castle, and Catherine's firstborn (by one of Henry's friends). Had a port-wine stain on her face, which Catherine tried to hide by having it surgically removed, which failed, disfiguring her further. Poisoned Aylee, and otherwise went crazy when Catherine refused to acknowledge her as her daughter. Hit in the back of the head by Mary, and may or may not actually be dead.

King Henry II of France (Alan van Sprang)

The lecherous King of France. REALLY wanted England. Father of Francis and Claude (by Catherine), Bash (by Diane) and various other children. Took Kenna as his mistress after promising her a titled husband. Eventually went crazy, marrying Kenna to Bash, giving him the title of “Master of Horse and Hunt.” He died after being stabbed in the eye in a jousting accident after planning to kill Francis and wed Mary. It made sense to him at the time.

Reign returns Thursday, 10/2 at 9:00 Eastern.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show is half Disney movie half Game of Thrones. I've never seen anything switch from awful love plot to badass scheming as fast. It's incredibly addicting for some reason.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I just kind of stopped watching this a few episodes into it and just recently started it up again. The first 7 episodes before the midseason break were pretty much a snoozefest, but now I'm a few episodes past that and it's actually kind of good now. Still have another 10 episodes left. Don't know if I'll actually catch up in time for the premiere though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oh jay posted:

I just kind of stopped watching this a few episodes into it and just recently started it up again. The first 7 episodes before the midseason break were pretty much a snoozefest, but now I'm a few episodes past that and it's actually kind of good now. Still have another 10 episodes left. Don't know if I'll actually catch up in time for the premiere though.

I half watched the show while playing video games at the start, but after a certain point I found myself engrossed in show entirely. The one episode where the servant who wins the "Queen for a day" prize, the whole "There are pagans in the woods" and other dramas honestly drew me in to where I watched every episode with full attention after halfway through the season. I'm really looking forward to this season.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

I hope John Prevo returns this season.

More specifically, I hope John Prevo's accent returns this season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Catherine di Medici makes Cersei Lannister look like the world's shittiest queen. One of them gets drunk and pontificates about how a good mother she must be and the other will poison your loving gold.

I bet you can guess who is who.

I am actually super excited for this to come back, it was a little slow at the start but after the midseason break, but after that I pretty much marathoned the back half like a crazy person.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Still working on Season 1, but I just saw the King gently caress a girl out a window and I had to pause I was laughing so hard.

This show is a loving masterpiece.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

oh jay posted:

Still working on Season 1, but I just saw the King gently caress a girl out a window and I had to pause I was laughing so hard.

This show is a loving masterpiece.

That was the best episode. The King and Queen of France having to dispose of the dead Duchess Henry just hosed out of a window and being terrible at it.
"How do we get the blood out ?"
"I don't know, the servants take dirty clothes and they come back clean !"

"Here, the note the poor girl wrote confessing her guilt before she jumped"
"But Highness, she was illiterate"

In the end it did bring them closer together as only covering up murder can and set up Henry's spiral into murderous insanity as he stood by the window and relived the moment.

There was also some blog on historical costuming that had an aneurysm as everyone in Mary's crew wore period dresses but from completely different periods. In the same scene. I'm sure they did it on purpose as much as the string quartet playing Lorde's 'Royals' at a party and the King ordering everyone to never again mention some crazy made up historical stuff.

One thing I hope to see is more for Lola to do. Anna Popplewell was not given a lot to work with but gave it 100%. I kind of want to see the show with her as Mary.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

The "King fucks a woman to death" episode was my second favorite behind the John Prevo episode because his accent is still the best thing to happen to me.

Tonight's episode is titled "The Plague", so expect a happy, cheery season opener!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

I liked the episode. Mary and the noble was a fun power struggle.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Senerio posted:

I liked the episode. Mary and the noble was a fun power struggle.

He really should have thought a little more about what he said before explaining how one more dead plague victim would not be noticed by anyone. Even though no one of note died they did not shy away from the horrors of the plague and how the famine will follow. Lots of chances for ambitious folk to make grabs for power.

Good to see Glaber show up as the noble showing up the the king's camp, he's still got that mad glimmer in his eyes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

All caught up. Further, observations from from season 1:

"Bash, Master of Horse and Hunt Two Amusing Things!" Too much.

Is that Lorde's Royals on violin during Lola's wedding? Reading the thread, yes it is and it is stupid in the best way.

Lord Castleroy is a pretty cool dude who does not deserve this love triangle BS he's caught in.

All of the mad King stuff in general was great.

On the season premiere:

Pretty good episode. Kind of glad they killed Pascal, because kid characters are awful. Castleroy's daughter though :ohdear:

Also, no beard Nostradamus looks weeeird.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Well that was an episode. Hope Nostradamus isn't gone for good, but also that if he comes back, it's with a beard.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, that ending really came out of left field.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

oh jay posted:

Yeah, that ending really came out of left field.

According to an interview he had to shave for another role, so maybe he'll be back with Clarissa in tow or something once that's done filming.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Senerio posted:

Well that was an episode. Hope Nostradamus isn't gone for good, but also that if he comes back, it's with a beard.

Spoiler re: Nostradamus He's gone, the actor tried to renegotiate his contract and wasn't happy with it, so he left. Sorry

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Senerio posted:

Christian, Duke of Guise (Gil Darnell)

Mary's uncle. The commander of one of Europe's biggest armies, and allowed Francis and Mary to use it for a position in the French Court. Was introduced late in the season, so there's not much to say. Historically was a major player in the reign of Mary and Francis.
Lol did they rename Francis of Guise "Christian" because there was another character name Francis in the show? :france: Well, i hope they rename Henry of Guise "Cesar" then.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

Lol did they rename Francis of Guise "Christian" because there was another character name Francis in the show? :france: Well, i hope they rename Henry of Guise "Cesar" then.

They renamed "Mary, Mary, Mary, and Mary" "Lola, Kenna, Greer, and Aylee" so...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Senerio posted:

They renamed "Mary, Mary, Mary, and Mary" "Lola, Kenna, Greer, and Aylee" so...
Well i somehow hope they realize "Christian" of Guise's wife is Lucrezia Borgia's grand-daughter and they hire François Arnaud for "Cesar". They just need to give him a pretty facial scar.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
There's a shiny new opening credit sequence as of episode 5, which is actually the first time all season they've played the whole theme.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Just caught this week's episode. I was surprised that they blew through that plot in one episode. Glad to see Castleroy back, and Narcisse is starting to get layers, which I'm torn about. On the one hand, I'm glad he's not just a villain for the sake of being a villain. On the other hand, I kinda liked him as a villain for the sake of being a villain.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Just caught up with this episode, and I'm glad for any episode that focuses on the best character Aloysius Castleroy.

Also for any excuse to type Aloysius Castleroy.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 1, 2014

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Counterpoint: Aloysius Castleroy is also a godless Protestant.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

oh jay posted:

Counterpoint: Aloysius Castleroy is also a godless Protestant.

Counter-counterpoint: Catherine is actually the best character, Aloysius Castleroy is just #2, even being a godless Protestant. (He'd be #3 if Henry was still alive though).

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Senerio posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Catherine is actually the best character, Aloysius Castleroy is just #2, even being a godless Protestant. (He'd be #3 if Henry was still alive though).

NannyHenry is killing it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

BarbarousBertha posted:

NannyHenry is killing it.

She really was. It's a shame her part in the plot is over now, though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

She actually legit scared me because she switched into fakeHenry while holding the baby. Was kinda scared she was gonna kill the baby or something because hey, why not?

Also kinda glad Lola is getting more to work with this season.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Fake Henry was great. This week's episode was all about Catherine and Mary, which is great. I am currently enjoying this show a lot!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Well that was an episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This show got renewed by CW which is finally giving me the excuse I needed to start watching. I'll be back whenever I catch up!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

This show got renewed by CW which is finally giving me the excuse I needed to start watching. I'll be back whenever I catch up!
You will absolutely love the back half of season 1, so good.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Just caught up. Glad they did away with the hallucinations. Turning Catherine into that was depressing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

So Thursday is the season finale. I haven't liked this season as much as season 1, but the finale sounds interesting.

Reign Season 2 Finale summary posted:

“Mary (Adelaide Kane) risks everything to take down Condé (Sean Teale), even as Francis (Toby Regbo) believes she is turning against France. Catherine (Megan Follows) makes a bold move and meets with Queen Elizabeth (guest star Rachel Skarsten) in a stunning plot to seek revenge on Mary. Meanwhile, Kenna (Caitlin Stasey) has a secret that will seal the fate of her relationship with Bash (Torrance Coombs).”

As a side note: Rachel Skarsten will be on the main cast in season 3.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Senerio posted:

So Thursday is the season finale. I haven't liked this season as much as season 1, but the finale sounds interesting.

I won't say anything about the finale other than every time I watched it at work I can't help but count the number of times Twitter will self-destruct during this episode. I love following the Reign hashtag while it airs :D

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I won't say anything about the finale other than every time I watched it at work I can't help but count the number of times Twitter will self-destruct during this episode. I love following the Reign hashtag while it airs :D

I do the same thing, and also check Tumblr. It's always hilarious to see them react to stuff as only they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

That was an ending. I'm hoping that the Elizabeth-Catherine alliance proves ultimately beneficial for both sides, and Elizabeth can hold her ground with Catherine when it comes to the serious plotting scenes. I didn't think that Narcissus was a decent enough replacement for Henry. Hopefully Elizabeth does better!

• Locked thread