Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
let's talk about good fun reading books. Some books are bad, but there are a lot that are good. Stephen king is good, Dennis Lehane is good, Bernard Cornwell, ken follet is good, etc etc

Let's talk about good books and who gives a poo poo about genre, drop some Peter f Hamilton if you want

My first recommendation is a drink before the war by Lehane. It's a good intro into his writing and then you'll want to read everything else he wrote which is a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
The Expedition of Humphry Clinker is really good and funny.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
The last six books I read were all by Elmore Leonard.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

kliksf posted:

This is a better post than any. (seriously)

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Read Julius Evola. It will change your life

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Tropic of Cancer

On the Road

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

kliksf posted:

He is fantastic and florida fiction has a special place in my heart. Tim Dorsey is a lot of fun too

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Mein Kampf

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
The Power Broker

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm reading Salt: A Worldwide History by Mark Kurlansky. It's surprisingly fascinating.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Debt: The first 5,000 years

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

jackyl posted:

Stephen king is good

The Colorado Kid and Duma Key are absolutely my two favorite Stephen King books.

barfoid 4
Aug 21, 2014

by XyloJW
haha, so many book. so little time ;)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

tentative8e8op posted:

The Colorado Kid and Duma Key are absolutely my two favorite Stephen King books.

the Internet usually says that the best king work consists of his short stories and novellas (night crew, 4 past midnight, etc) and those own but kings long books are loving awesome. The stand is a good and fun read

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
infinite jest, by david foster wallace

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Personal faves and stuff I liked for no particular reasons, in no particular order:

Lord of the Flies
Heart of a Dog
The Fireside Book of Chess
Starship Troopers (I'm not lolbertarian, I read it as straightforward space opera)
Green Hills of Earth (see above)
The Poisonwood Bible
Forever War

Anything and everything by Mark Twain
Ditto Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury

I really like anthologies and short story collections. They're like literary m&ms, gobble 'em up by the handful.

e: I slogged through all the Left Behind series once because I didn't have anything else to read. It was a painful experience.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
You should probably watch the 1970s BBC adaptations of Henry IV if you haven't.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I mentioned Bernard Cornwell in the op and you should read the archers tale books for a solid take on the holy grail quest.

Spoiler the protagonist throws the Grail away in the oceans because it will cause more problems than it solves

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
The bible and only the bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but you should definitely check out A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

• Locked thread