Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Surprised there's not a thread for this game. It looks drat fun so here's a little one. I haven't played any of the previous games but they are apparently pretty good and only getting better.

Price: $40
Available now on Windows PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360
http://store.steampowered.com/app/241260/

What?
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments is the seventh game in the Sherlock Holmes series by Frogwares, a development studio not known for anything other than Magrunner (that weird portal-like puzzle game with Cthulhu poo poo in it) and adventure games. SH: C&P is an adventure game where you play as the titular character, solving six original cases. Wikipedia does a pretty good job on explaining the gameplay so I'll just paste the important stuff. Personally, I think it looks like an improved L.A. Noire with less nightmare fuel.

"The majority of the game involves exploring crime scenes and examining clues. Once discovered, clues are added to a "deduction board", a gameplay mechanic which involves linking pieces of information together. It will lead to possible different deductions. Once deductions are connected together, player will have a full tree of deduction. Depending on how player interprets the clues, they will have different conclusions. Therefore player can fail in the game, or succeed into finding the right criminal. He should also decide whether he wants to absolve or to conduct the criminal. The moral choice player makes will influence the further gameplay. Each case will have 3-5 possible solutions; in total there will be 6-10 different endings for each case. In total, the game offers 14 investigation mechanics, including Sherlock Holmes' skill to guess many details about someone's life simply by glancing at them or to imagine and reconstruct the course of event by carefully observing all the key details of a crime scene.

There are two camera views to be available – a first person point of view and a static third person camera. The player is able to change between them at any time. Sherlock can also draw evidence from autopsies and scanning the people he meets. For the latter, players will enter a first-person view for an up-close inspection of a character's face and emotions, clothing and belongings, where he'll find everything from scars and bruises to the quality of an outfit. Frogwares have fully detailed Victorian-era London using the new engine and it can also be explored."

tl;dr/watch this regardless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXRJmkrBCIk

Screens

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Page 6 bump reminder that this is still a thing. Plus I wanna know if it's any good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here, have a quote:

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've been playing Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments for review, and it's great.

The series has generally improved with each installment, and this is the first time it's firing on all cylinders. The game looks great (bordering on gorgeous at times), doesn't have any goofy low budget rough edges, and most importantly it feels like a proper detective game. You're doing legwork, taking in details about the people you talk to with a cool time-stop camera mode, and working out the case with a notebook that makes it easy to keep tabs on all sorts of little details.

There's less of a focus on puzzles. You're mostly just interacting with people and the world, and when an occasional puzzle does pop up it's usually straightforward and contextually appropriate. The environments are laid out in a smarter way than they've been in the past, so there's less running around. You also get very clear feedback when you have fully inspected an object or area.

Once you have all the evidence, you can examine deductions that have two possibilities and select the one that seems right, then get a graphic representation that shows whether that fits into your other conclusions. There are a lot of outcomes for each case, and by default you aren't told whether your accusation is right or wrong. You do have the option to check after the end has played out, though, and you can then jump back to a point where you can try accusing someone else. Either way, you get to decide whether to lay down the maximum punishment or go easy on the suspected culprit. So far as I can tell there is no right or wrong punishment. You just go with what seems right and get a little bit of follow-up flavor text in the paper during your next case.

If you're into detective games, I'd recommend giving this a shot. While Shadow of Mordor looks amazing and it's going to dominate sales+discussion, I hope this doesn't get completely buried.

• Locked thread