Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Chapter 2: Repercussions
or "Everyone Eats poo poo"

The day is saved! It's morning, the Juka have fled Britannian shores, and the men are resting off the night's events.

Ha ha I'm full of poo poo things suck for our lone good boy

quote:

"Cousin. You've got to help me."
Damario's voice came from a grey silhouette in the mist. Many heartbeats passed before the knight blinked and replied, "Not now."
"Please. Gabriel. I beg you. This can't wait."
Montenegro glanced at the younger man. The knight's expression was profoundly dark. "Make it fast, then. I'm not in an indulgent mood."
Not far down the beach Damario pointed out a large, dark mass that had washed up on the smooth pebbles. Montenegro knelt for a closer look. He grimaced. They were human corpses, five of them, dressed in civilian clothes.
The young wizard struggled to speak calmly. "These are the ones I drowned last night. I thought- I believed they were Juka. In the name of Honesty, I truly believed that."
Montenegro wiped the kelp from the faces of the dead men. He grunted. "I know these people. I discharged them from the militia a few weeks ago."
"They're from Vesper? By the Virtues! I'll be hanged, Montenegro!"
"No, you won't." The knight stood and perched a hand on the back of his cousin's neck. "Listen to me. These men were thieves. That's why I discharged them. They probably came here last night to loot the dead. They got what they deserved."
The wizard rubbed his eyes and nodded. "All right. If you think so, then it's all right." He tried to smile, but it was a vain attempt. "Dammit! What should we do? Thieves or not, the people in Vesper are going to want my blood." He spat a curse to the heaving ocean. "This has to be a nightmare."
Montenegro tightened his grip on his cousin's shoulder. "It will fade like a nightmare. Go home, Damario. I'll get rid of these bodies. No one has to know." He flared his nostrils as he looked over the dead men. "Thieves walk too proudly in Vesper. You did well, cousin. Justice and serendipity make excellent partners."

The city of Vesper is pretty dour as everyone returns that day. Word of the "gargoyle invasion" has gotten around, even if they were repelled, and there are fifteen men confirmed dead, dozens more injured. Similarly dour is the briefly-mentioned, but now-introduced Admiral Duarte.

quote:

"Insubordination is a grave offense, Montenegro," he mumbled, tugging the lapels of his gold-buttoned overcoat. "I ordered you to let the strangers land, but you attacked them still. You're going to answer for it."
Dressed in an embroidered tunic and tight breeches, the knight stood unflinching before the admiral's desk. The black Jukan scarf was tied to his belt. "With respect, Admiral, I was not bound by your orders."
Duarte creased his brow and stared at Montenegro over his shoulder. "Are you suggesting I don't outrank the captain of a garrison?"
"Your expertise is naval combat. Mine is land warfare. When foreign troops set foot on our soil, my judgement supersedes yours. Rank be damned."
The admiral's face shaded red. "That insolence of yours has finished you this time! I'll see you stripped of your command."
The knight snorted. "I've already been promoted. I'll be a general - your equal in rank - as soon as my term in Vesper ends. Duarte, let's be clear on this: I shall defer to you when the pirates get too bold. On all other occasions I suggest you confine yourself to shipbuilding and politics. They make better use of your talents."
Admiral Duarte smacked heavy palms on the wooden desktop. "What an excellent suggestion! You make light of me as a commander because I also sit in the Royal Senate? Very well, let me show you what a senator can do. I'm taking this matter to Britain. The Senate will decide whether you should be punished or praised for your actions against these Juka. If I were you, I wouldn't commission my general's uniform just yet."
"Britain has lively hunting this time of year. I look forward to the trip. Admiral, if these invaders had been orcs or trolls, you would never question my decision. My campaigns against the inhumans are well-known. And you know my record puts me in good stead with the House of the Lion. Lord Valente will take my side. With his support I've got nothing to fear from the Senate. If you drag this into the public eye, you'll only make a bigger fool of yourself."
Duarte sniffed. "Your ruthlessness on the battlefield is also famous. Not everyone in the capital appreciates that, including Regent Salvatore and the House of the Dove. So save your boasting, Captain. You bring your case to the Senate chamber and I'll bring mine."
The knight's eyes darkened. "I'm feeling doubly ruthless right now, Duarte. Think twice before you challenge me."
The heavyset gentleman aimed a plump finger at the knight. "You've never lost a battle, but you make enemies like a bull makes chips. All I have to do is gather them to me. You may not think so, Montenegro, but you can be beaten."
Sharp words leapt to Montenegro's tongue, but before he could speak them he glimpsed something from the corner of his eye. It was the black scarf, draped through his belt. His expression soured. With a dagger glare, he simply said, "Do what you must," then turned and stalked out of the office.

Being that he is a rich failson, Gabriel Montenegro proceeds to run to his cousin and go "Hey, Damario, we're going to Britain and I need you to talk to the mages on my behalf so I don't go down for this." Damario's not so sure that the archmages are going to take his side, but he's happy to be clear of Vesper, because he's getting paranoid that every shadow is a vengeful assassin. Damario is having the worst day, and Montenegro doesn't improve the situation when he just says (direct quote) "Not much point in worrying about it. The dangerous ones you never see coming."

We cut elsewhere. Thulann of Garron is walking down the corridors of... the Palace of Garron, a granite structure which is cold to pass through, but full of the warmth of the (ghost of) sounds of children echoing down hallways, or torch and sunlight dancing across walls in patterns that bring color to the building. She crosses past some massive bronze doors into a throne room? Bedroom? It's not made clear, but inside is a hot middle-aged Jukan.

quote:

From this deep tapestry emerged a mountainous figure. Two heads taller than Thulann, the man possessed a warrior's physique and a ruler's regal bearing. He wore a voluminous pair of satiny pants and no shirt to conceal his broad chest. His head was bald. His short, backswept horns, common to all male Juka, were uncovered. His face was chiseled by as many years as Thulann's.

She felt a girlish thrill at the sight of Turlogan, Shirron of the Jukan Clans. It was an old, familiar sensation, like the snap of a cold morning in late winter. As he approached, she smiled at his warmth and sweet scent. When their hands clasped together she was home. No kiss or embrace was required; his palm against hers conjured all the seasoned nuances of a lifetime of affection.

The two of them do not get down to anything but business, however. Thulann asks not what his body can do for her, but instead how battles with the Technocrats of Blackthorn are going. The Jukans appear to share a landmass with Blackthorn and his people, and their neighbor is pushing to expand north into their territory with engines of war which "fly a hundred feet overhead and drop lightning like a cloud". It's allowing them to ignore what would normally be an incredible defensive wall of mountains.

There's a brief conversation where she asks "Can we win? Now that we're in open combat, do you think we can win?" and all Turlogan can say is "not alone". It seems that Thulann's expedition, while not amazing, was the greatest success so far. There's talk that somewhere to the west of this land is another continent, but nobody has returned from that route yet. We learn the Jukans are south of Britannia, and that, as soon as he hears about the Black Duel with Montenegro and that Britannia is a land of honor... it's probably worth sending a second expedition? One more overt, as diplomats?

Also, they slowly prepare to gently caress through this whole conversation. Here's what this whole section reads like for most of it...

quote:

"They were aggressive, yes. We were strangers crossing their border. But they are an honorable people." She stepped close to him, standing between his thighs. Her fingers draped over his wide shoulders. "I have told no one else this. During the fighting I met their leader. His name is Montenegro. We settled the battle with a Black Duel." [...] "If these New Britannians have such traditions of honor, then we have common ground. I think we can fashion a bond from that."
"Then we have to send another expedition as you can organize one. Time works in the Technocrats' favor."
Her brow pinched. "I agree we should hurry. But my return has made you giddy. My ancient carcass will not be going back there again."
"You must. No one else has your qualifications."
She leaned her hip against his leg, lifted her foot, and began to slip off a boot. "Turlogan, I have served your family for forty years. I have been an advisor, a diplomat, a general, and a spy. But as of today, I am finished. I intend to be a teacher and grandmother and nothing more. Warfare and intrigue are best left to young spirits and young knees."
"You only have to talk to the humans. Surely your tongue is as limber as a young woman's."
Despite herself, she let out a giggle.

Before they can get down to it, though, another warlord bursts in through the chambers, with some weiner-kid Jukan unable to stop the older man. This is Bahrok, and he is furious that Thulann did not keep his son safe on this expedition, with his boy Sigmhat (you know, the leader of the whole thing, who Montenegro killed 1v1) not even getting the honor of a funeral pyre in his homeland. Actually, none of the dead did. The voyage back was too long to keep the corpses on what ships remained, so they made a stop and performed rites on an island mid-transit.

Anyway, Bahrok says some things you can't take back about "Turlogan's mistress" not being worth it, and Thulann disarms him by going "Yeah no we were going to talk about this in the morning, when I intended to show up at your house and perform his Life Words for you", which is some kind of speaker for the dead act that Sigmhat entrusted Thulann with when they first set out, figuring if anyone was liable to make it back in his place, it'd be her.

And with that screeching halt and everyone's passions deflated, we swap scenery!

It is now time for Montenegro's trial for the actions on the beach. He's trying the "I'm just a simple soldier, your honor" move, wearing his black dress uniform amidst all the colorful attire of the nobility, since this trial is held at the Royal Senate of Britain. The senators listen to Admiral Duarte's take and go "Well, Montenegro, you hosed up, we just have to determine how much-" before he interrupts.

quote:

He stood and raised a hand. "My lord, if I may, I have one more piece of testimony to present."
The regent leveraged the amplifying qualities of the chamber. "Captain, we have already heard your account of the events in question."
"It is not I who will speak, but someone on my behalf. I would like to summon Master Gregorio of the Order of the Magus."

From the crowd, Damario and Gregorio rise, and the latter takes the stand. We get a bit of backstory on Gregorio since, you know, he's an entirely new character for this and we have no context for how awesome he is. His age is unknown, people figure he's 100+ since he's been an archmage for almost 50 years, he worked with the Meer (again: still no context for who or what the Meer are), he might be the best mage in history for as much as that means given the Cataclysm blasted a lot of history right out of existence... yadda yadda. His testimony is rear end-saving for Montenegro.

He tosses his cousin a warm smile and Damario just looks away silently. Suddenly, Montenegro realizes he might not be as saved as he hopes.

I'm not going to transcribe the whole speech, because Gregorio is a very loquacious character, but in short: he begins by going "you know, I was on the wilds once after the Cataclysm, with these lads' grandfather... I totally understand Montenegro's 'strike first, ask later' philosophy in light of surprises like this." The problem is that he decided to follow up Damario's pleas with some scrying spells, and it led him to different conclusions. Yes, the Juka seem to be the same race as Blackthorn's 'gargoyles'. Indeed, this seems like it might have been the prelude to the invasion they were worried about for years. But...

Gregorio asks why they didn't take a single prisoner for questioning, even if Montenegro invokes Compassion. This is undone because, well... Damario is a good boy, and when Gregorio asked what happened that night, he told his master about seeing a Juka in the tent, being KOed, and waking up to his cousin going "they go free". Montenegro silently vows that, and I quote, he "[cannot] place a seer's word over a warrior's" and so he will never betray Thulann and the law of the Black Duel. Thus, in his refusal to answer if he made a deal with the foreigners, he signs his own conviction. The court erupts in fury and frustration.

We have one more cut back to Jukan lands. In worldbuilding news, there are descriptions that the Jukans used machines of some sort in the past, or that their lands were built upon by them. A volcano known as the Great Mother still bears the skeleton of what reads as a geothermal pump "sticking into the sky like a dagger" above the lava. In plot news, Thulann isn't going to get to retire, because she's being trapped by her own vows onto the return expedition to Britannia. The warlord Bahrok is leading the expedition, and so to counter his desire for blood, young Venduss is assigned to the fleet. This means if Thulann is going to keep her word to train the boy... she's going along for the ride.

Britannia again. Montenegro is being spared the worst fate because Lord Valente called in every favor possible out of sympathy... but he's being demoted, is losing the rank of Commander, and is just on the verge of being expelled from the entire Order. Valente understands he's hiding something, and knows it's a matter of honor not to talk, but he makes the knight swear one thing in exchange for all of this: "Do not seek vengeance. Not on the Senate, not on Gregorio, and not on Damario." Montenegro plays innocent only to be told "No, really, I get that you play the dumb soldier for sympathy, but I have known you too long to trust you on this. No revenge. Go back to your estate, go raise a family, go whoring for all I care, but do not start poo poo with the people you feel have betrayed you today. We're all on Team Human here."

So later that week...

quote:

Within the old walls of Britain, in the southwest corner, a figure crept out of a large building and stole away through the blackness. It made its way in the direction of the city gates. It carried no lantern, but kept to the deepest shadows. When it crossed a bridge of moonlight that leapt between two tall shops, the figure came to a sudden stop.
A longsword had appeared in front of it, jabbed into the ground an instant before. The figure shrank back towards the shadows, only to collide with a much larger silhouette. The scent of ale wafted on a breeze.
"Don't run, Damario," said Montenegro to his frightened cousin. "You and I have some matters to discuss."

I confess I'm still trying to figure this out. Was Montenegro behind Damario, and he hurled the sword into the ground from behind, like a javelin? Did he have something rigged up to DROP the sword in front of his cousin? Also, are these unpaved roads, or did this sword somehow get lodged between two flagstones? I guess the dumbest possible idea is Montenegro is so much bigger he can shove an arm past Damario, swordplant the cobblestones, and wait for his cousin to do the bump in the night backup routine.

This is stupid, is more my point.

Montenegro is drunk as poo poo, or so the narrative tells us often, but he's also pulling off swordcrobatics and legit snatches Damario's wrists in one gesture to stop him casting a spell without blinking, no matter if his eyes were "glazed in the moonlight" or "glistened with drink". He rants for a bit, how could you betray me, blah blah, but then it gets dark...

quote:

"Please, Gabriel! Gregorio knew I would warn you! He forbade me from contacting you. Why do you think we never spoke before the trial?"
"I hear your words, cousin, but the knife still stings in my back."
"I beg your forgiveness. I can do no more. I'd give the world to take it all back!"
"You may yet give much, cousin." He walked past the wizard and retrieved his longsword. "Have you heard of a man called Anzo?"
Damario paused. "The thief? I do not understand."
Montenegro sheathed his weapon. "He's more than a thief. He's the head of all the thieves' guilds in New Britannia. He's also called the King of Pirates. He wields more power than even Regent Salvatore could ever dream."
"What has he got to do with-"
"He may become a very important man in your life. You see, I visited a tavern by the wharf tonight. I was angry, as I'm sure you can understand. I fear the ale got the better of my tongue. There were men of... questionable pursuits in the room with me. Guild members. I explained to them how you killed those five thieves in Vesper."
The wizard paled. "If Anzo finds out, he'll contract my life. That's what you're saying, isn't it?"
The knight gazed at him with glassy eyes. "He may never find out. The men I talked to were quite drunk. They might not even remember what I said. But if they do, word of your deeds could easily find its way to Anzo's ear. If it does... well, were I in your position, I'd start concocting a spell to disappear." He crossed his arms, pacing into the moonlight. "Oh, and I'd stay away from your estates if I were you. I doubt Anzo's men will harm your father or sister, unless they have cause to follow you there."
Damario cried, "You've murdered me!"
Montenegro growled back, "No! I didn't want this, but you've twisted the knife inside me! Now your future is no more nor less in doubt than mine. I've just evened the score!" He looked away from Damario. "You brought this on yourself, cousin. That's what you must remember when you lie afraid in the dark."
The wizard clutched his fists to his ears, then began to stumble away. "I can't believe it. I can't believe you'd do this to me!"
"At what point, exactly, did you think I'd stopped being ruthless to my enemies?

Editor's note: probably when you spent an entire trial going "Compassion? It's a Virtue? Eh? Eh?"

quote:

I didn't cross you, Damario! You crossed me!"
But the young sorcerer had already careened away into the rich darkness of Britain. Montenegro could almost hear his distant sobs. With a hard frown, the knight squeezed shut his eyes. He doubled over, fighting the ache in his gut. A feeling of dreadful emptiness flashed through his bones.
He drew something from his belt and held it up to the moons' rays. It was Thulann's black scarf, clutched in his fist so tightly his hand began to shake.
He had nothing left now. Nothing except his wealth and lands, and a fire that roared inside him. And all the time he could ever desire, which he would use to train himself. No more drinks. No more indulgences. Only training.
Once he had been invincible. He would be so again.

So. Let's recap. We are two chapters into a book about the world of Ultima. Eight virtues, strive to be the best possible human you can, something greater than a mere man, a champion of Good, capital-G. A standard writer might have taken this same opening arc and decided that this was where you humble the protagonist and he let pride carry him too far over the line. It wouldn't be out of sorts, the games were full of writing about how you need the virtues in balance, because pushing one at the expense of others leads to misery. That was kinda Blackthorn's whole thing, in fact.

Instead, the end of chapter two is our protagonist bragging about being good at genocide, ignoring everyone going "Look, you rear end in a top hat, don't go off half-cocked" after his hubris knocks him down socially (but not economically!), and he burns down his family ties and becomes Batman.

I suspect you are now beginning to see why I wanted to take a detour into these novels for a lighthearted "what the gently caress" change of pace.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
To not understand what the deal is with Jukans. To ask which ones have the wings.

To ask, is this Virtuous?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

secretly best girl posted:

So. Let's recap. We are two chapters into a book about the world of Ultima. Eight virtues, strive to be the best possible human you can, something greater than a mere man, a champion of Good, capital-G. A standard writer might have taken this same opening arc and decided that this was where you humble the protagonist and he let pride carry him too far over the line. It wouldn't be out of sorts, the games were full of writing about how you need the virtues in balance, because pushing one at the expense of others leads to misery. That was kinda Blackthorn's whole thing, in fact.

Instead, the end of chapter two is our protagonist bragging about being good at genocide, ignoring everyone going "Look, you rear end in a top hat, don't go off half-cocked" after his hubris knocks him down socially (but not economically!), and he burns down his family ties and becomes Batman.

I suspect you are now beginning to see why I wanted to take a detour into these novels for a lighthearted "what the gently caress" change of pace.

Wait, wait, wait, this guy is the protagonist? This reads like the origin story of the villain du jour.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Every reference to Britain makes me thnk of the scene taking place in an alleyway in London behind a chicken cottage or something

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lord Bri'ish

Luv the 8 virtues
'ate gargoyles
Don't like it, there's the moongate

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

To not understand what the deal is with Jukans. To ask which ones have the wings.

To ask, is this Virtuous?

So not a lot of people have the wikis updated with these novels for obvious reasons but I legitimately think they just go "Britannia genocides the gargoyles at some point" because I do not recall the winged dudes being in here at all. As for the Virtues... Just you wait.

Dirk the Average posted:

Wait, wait, wait, this guy is the protagonist? This reads like the origin story of the villain du jour.

My dude continues to be the main human for all three novels. Spoilers: Thulann is a major Jukan player and we might get some from other factions. Perhaps they'll even team up! Eventually! Like... Only in the third novel, from memory.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Welcome back to the thread!

secretly best girl posted:

Doubling down is the classic second step in the more noir sorts of tragedy, where it's well clear to everyone but the people involved how badly it'll all end.

I know, I know, this isn't going to be one of those either.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finally did it. I reached the end of the thread so I could necro it back.

I read WFR back in college in the early 2000s and i enjoyed it so much i read the next 7-8 over the next couple months. I got to Pillars and hated it, then read somewhere online that this was all Objectivism. Being a sheltered child, i decided to read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. I remember struggling extremely hard to get past the 500 page screed in Atlas and i had a new understanding of what the SoT books were actually about. I think I hate read the rest up to Chainfire, but never finished the series, and tossed the books in the trash after finishing Atlas.

I look forward to our what our favorite Randian psychopath and his plucky sidekicks get up to next. Eventually! Thanks for going through this, OP!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

pakman posted:

I finally did it. I reached the end of the thread so I could necro it back.

I read WFR back in college in the early 2000s and i enjoyed it so much i read the next 7-8 over the next couple months. I got to Pillars and hated it, then read somewhere online that this was all Objectivism. Being a sheltered child, i decided to read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. I remember struggling extremely hard to get past the 500 page screed in Atlas and i had a new understanding of what the SoT books were actually about. I think I hate read the rest up to Chainfire, but never finished the series, and tossed the books in the trash after finishing Atlas.

I look forward to our what our favorite Randian psychopath and his plucky sidekicks get up to next. Eventually! Thanks for going through this, OP!

I found a copy of Atlas Shrugged in our little local free library thing and picked it up out of sheer curiosity, because I've never read the reviled thing.

I also considered it a public service, frankly.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
why would you do that to yourself

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DicktheCat posted:

I found a copy of Atlas Shrugged in our little local free library thing and picked it up out of sheer curiosity, because I've never read the reviled thing.

I also considered it a public service, frankly.

How far did you get? I couldn't make it more than a third of the way. It's an awful book.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I read the entire thing and enjoyed the detectiving bit, where she put aside the endless grandstanding for once.

Overall it's better written than any post-main-series Goodkind.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I started reading one of Rand's books, the one about an architect or engineer or something, when I was in middle school. I remember just being sort of bored until the main dude raped some lady, but she was fine with it? Even with my... underdeveloped politics of the time, it was a big WFT moment that made me drop it forever.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How far did you get? I couldn't make it more than a third of the way. It's an awful book.

I'll be honest, I've not even started, because I have actual good books to read.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

why would you do that to yourself

The goonish tendency to flip over rocks.

It may remain unflipped, however. Like I mentioned above, I do have a plethora of actual nice things to read.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

pakman posted:

I look forward to our what our favorite Randian psychopath and his plucky sidekicks get up to next.

Nothing, goodkind ded

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And it was almost certainly covid or covid-related.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And it was almost certainly covid or covid-related.

A=antibodies

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I feel bad for laughing, but I bet he'd argue that he was vindicated because he died on his own stupidity rather than being saved by some nanny state.

That's not even that much of a stretch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DicktheCat posted:

I feel bad for laughing, but I bet he'd argue that he was vindicated because he died on his own stupidity rather than being saved by some nanny state.

That's not even that much of a stretch.

I don't think he would.

Because he's dead

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
A brick in the Wall of the Faithless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I remember starting to read The Fountainhead in middle school and I made it to the point where the main guy raped the main gal and she was fine with it. Even with my complete lack of critical thought about my literature intake at the time I was majorly creeped out and abandoned it.