Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally finished my own house on the server I play on with some friends. :toot:

Apart from a friend making all of the doors I built it up own my own (flux sux). The blueprint and the wiki pictures didn't show how much of an inn it was laid out as though, especially the corridors but I think it works anyway. But having the balcony being open to the staircases is really dumb, since you'd have to shovel snow "indoors" during winters (if they add winters, and snow). Not to mention the cold. I took some screenshots to show it off. Please excuse/ridicule my horrible graphics as the game runs like poo poo on my computer for some reason.

Outside looking in. Big stone house if you're interested (link has a screenshot of the attic which I forgot to take one of).

Standing in the doorway overlooking the "great hall". I'm going to add four more chairs and eventually replace the current one with a decorated one or preferably a throne.

The hall/dining area from another angle.

At the end of the hallway towards the stairs and corridor through the bottom floor. The rooms to the right are fairly small but I plan to turn one into a workshop and the other into a kitchen (or as close as it's possible to do). The house is mirrored so there's a small space the size of the staircase on the opposite side I'm going to turn into a storage area. You can also see the bag I'm currently using for my stuff.

View from the balcony over the town. From the bottom left is the sawmill foundation (almost done, only need about 50 more metal ingots), the carpenter shop and the back of the townhall (a plaster house, which is mostly used for dumping old movable workstations and one upstairs bedroom contains all of our tanner tubs). Behind everything towards the lake is a friend's small plaster house and his old hut.

Upstairs in the corridor looking into my office/study). Unfortunately there aren't any bookshelves or proper desks to build, yet. I need a fancier chair for it though, but we lack all kinds of cloth.

Study from inside.

Upstairs hallway again, this time rotated to look into the bedroom. It only contains the bed but I've started on a wardrobe.

Bedroom from inside. There's another room on the floor but I'm not sure what to use it for yet. I'm currently thinking of turning the attic into an armory/training area.

I took a few pictures of our town as well. Here's further down the road overlooking our smith and forge area. The building to the left is the townhall and the one on the right is a herb shop. Just behind that you can see some pixels of a warehouse and a small plaster house. The hut to the left near the lookout tower is my old hut and the first building in the town (wish I could tear it down and build something else there).

A closer view of the small house and hut visible from the balcony.

View of the smith area from the lookout tower.

And a few pictures of what has happened to our stone/iron mine. Be careful when using tunnel down. Hopefully you can tell what is going on. The only way out of the mine is to teleport. Trying to move around down there is really difficult with the erratic camera and character movement.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Poil posted:

...Please excuse/ridicule my horrible graphics as the game runs like poo poo on my computer for some reason ...

If you haven't already done this, then do it immediately, theres a HUGE fps increase from setting the actual rendering distance from 10 000 Torque-Distance-Units to something more reasonable, like 1000. This is completely different from the view distance sliders that can be adjusted ingame.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own\scripts\client\cm_environment.cs
visibleDistance = "10000"; <- Set to anything between like 200 and 1500, I personally had it at 500 and the only times it was too short when I was on top of a hill or near a beach and 2000 still gave me stuttering.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own\data\prefs.cs <- Set these three (OR use ingame sliders) to same number, since keeping them lower suddenly doesn't matter anymore.
$pref::TS::renderingDistanceBig = "200";
$pref::TS::renderingDistanceHuge = "200";
$pref::TS::renderingDistanceSmall = "200";

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
The last update has messed up royally,

You cant use the map without crashing
You tend to take 20 -30 minutes to log in
You tend to run out of memory and crash often

Why dont they update the engine to 64bit its silly being 32 bit in this 64 bit world.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I stole some rope and made a practice bastard sword but after noticing just how difficult it is to make a practice dummy I went out in the woods and beat a wolf and a moose to death with it instead. Then I forged 500 nails and half a dozen metal bands to get my smith skill up and now me and my brand new zweihänder is going to back out in the woods. :black101:

Sormus posted:

If you haven't already done this, then do it immediately, theres a HUGE fps increase from setting the actual rendering distance from 10 000 Torque-Distance-Units to something more reasonable, like 1000. This is completely different from the view distance sliders that can be adjusted ingame.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own\scripts\client\cm_environment.cs
visibleDistance = "10000"; <- Set to anything between like 200 and 1500, I personally had it at 500 and the only times it was too short when I was on top of a hill or near a beach and 2000 still gave me stuttering.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own\data\prefs.cs <- Set these three (OR use ingame sliders) to same number, since keeping them lower suddenly doesn't matter anymore.
$pref::TS::renderingDistanceBig = "200";
$pref::TS::renderingDistanceHuge = "200";
$pref::TS::renderingDistanceSmall = "200";
Thanks a lot, that did wonders for my poor framerate. :)

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Anyone still loving around with this? It's down to $27 which is very close to the line where I say gently caress it and throw my money away.

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/life-is-feudal/

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

The last update has messed up royally,

You cant use the map without crashing
You tend to take 20 -30 minutes to log in
You tend to run out of memory and crash often

Why dont they update the engine to 64bit its silly being 32 bit in this 64 bit world.

I thought this was just me, I came back to try it after the last patch and ended up looking at the loading screen for 10 minutes.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Jimlit posted:

I thought this was just me, I came back to try it after the last patch and ended up looking at the loading screen for 10 minutes.

They hotfixed it a couple days later

Patch came out today, they finally added all the animals which can now be tamed/trapped/raised

also wheelbarrows and carts work now

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

According to the notes they've added bears, and said that you probably shouldn't attempt to fight them with hatchets. There is only one proper response to that. :black101:

Did you know that to make one silk cloth you need 25 silk threads, which each require 5 silk filaments? Every silk filament only need one silk cocoon but since there is no autocraft for it you need to manually click for every single one. Click, wait, click, wait, click, wait. Only 830 times for a decorated bed or a throne, unless my math is off.

edit

I went out in the woods in search of a bear and after spending a large time trying to follow tracks that disappeared in certain camera angles :psyduck:, doesn't show up in steep hills at all and lead me back and forth I managed to find one. A bit disappointing with how easy it was to kill. Took barely any damage at all wearing my crappy novice plate armor. Still now I can start collecting bear heads along with all of the moose heads. I hope you'll be able to mount them on walls, spikes or just wear them as hats.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 27, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm a sucker for grindy crafting, but the steam reviews are very harsh about them pulling the mmo rug out from under it. That seems kinda skeevy. Do they still want it to be an MMO at some point or what?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm a sucker for grindy crafting, but the steam reviews are very harsh about them pulling the mmo rug out from under it. That seems kinda skeevy. Do they still want it to be an MMO at some point or what?

I think the stuff on Steam is just nerds being nerds coupled with the developers having a difficult time figuring out how to do PR.

From previous announcements, they intend to develop both the MMO and the current version in parallel with a lot of shared code between the two.

The MMO will play more or less like the stand alone game, but run on regional servers with huge maps and include added features like guilds and siege warfare.

People who buy the current version have also been promised a free character slot in the MMO.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
MMO is the end goal, the stand alone version is to provide funding for it. a lot of really good features will not ever be in the stand alone. Their site has a comparison list of the two showing which are for mmo only.

Jody Tocroach
May 28, 2008

Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.
Other than the price (It definitely ain't worth $40 in its current state, except as it warns you before you buy, you are willing to pay to support the Alpha). The other main complaints about the MMO ripping off the current game is really a non issue. My biggest complaint with Rust style servers is given pop cap its either completely underpopulated during off hours or always full during peak. Basically the MMO will be the same game but one giant server with unlimited pop cap. So you can actually have some decent sized factions. I don't see how its 'stealing' or 'shady' in any way. It will just be a "Megaserver" of essentially the same game and should have 90% of the bugs worked out at release from the current version. I don't even give a poo poo about the current servers I'm mostly in it for the MMO later down the road. Also like Rust the servers are gonna wipe a dozen or more times between now and release so don't go poopsocking grinding for poo poo just to find it all wiped within a week. Otherwise as Wurm and M&B are two of my favorite games of all times I have NO RAGRETS for my $40 spent.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Sounds like the MMO is what I want.

Are they doing the box-only payment model? Or will there be a monthly fee?

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My abiding memory of Wurm is running through the woods and stumbling down slopes being chased by wolves bleeding to death by thorn wounds praying to god to find a barrel full of goulash. I hope this isn't that

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pegged Lamb posted:

My abiding memory of Wurm is running through the woods and stumbling down slopes being chased by wolves bleeding to death by thorn wounds praying to god to find a barrel full of goulash. I hope this isn't that
Of course not, there are no thorns or goulash or even random barrels (unless you make them yourself) in the game. Also wolves are kinda rare so stumbling into one by accident is very unlikely.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Sounds like the MMO is what I want.

Are they doing the box-only payment model? Or will there be a monthly fee?

They plan on charging a fee for each character you move into the full MMO from their free to play newbie area. They haven't revealed what the fee will be, but they've said that everyone who buys the current version will get a free character in the MMO.

They're also on the record as planning to have micro transactions for "vanity items" and for charging RL money for renting a home in the main city in the game.

Weembles fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 29, 2014

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Are there any Heaven and Hearth veterans playing this? Thoughts on similarities?

Piglet
Jan 22, 2002

Zub! Zub!

Weembles posted:

They plan on charging a fee for each character you move into the full MMO from their free to play newbie area. They haven't revealed what the fee will be, but they've said that everyone who buys the current version will get a free character in the MMO.

They're also on the record as planning to have micro transactions for "vanity items" and for charging RL money for renting a home in the main city in the game.
I just don't see how they will survive very long without charging some sort monthly fee, even if it's similar to how Wurm does it with free and premium tiers. By saying you're only going to charge people once to play your MMO means you'll be counting on a certain number of new people to sign up every month and I don't think that's realistic for this sort of a game. Even if it turns out to be better than its competitors. I just feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot by sticking to this plan because when they inevitably have to abandon it and start trying to charge monthly (even if it's just $5) these whiners complaining about LiF:YO will lose their poo poo.

El_Geeko
Dec 7, 2004

please tell me that this game accurately simulates the desperation of clinging to a mountainside to collect dirt and then watching your only cart of tools and food roll into the ocean

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Piglet posted:

I just don't see how they will survive very long without charging some sort monthly fee, even if it's similar to how Wurm does it with free and premium tiers. By saying you're only going to charge people once to play your MMO means you'll be counting on a certain number of new people to sign up every month and I don't think that's realistic for this sort of a game. Even if it turns out to be better than its competitors. I just feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot by sticking to this plan because when they inevitably have to abandon it and start trying to charge monthly (even if it's just $5) these whiners complaining about LiF:YO will lose their poo poo.

It sounds like they're expecting enough people to want to pay for extra items and fancy houses in the city to keep them afloat. It sounds a little too hopeful to me but after Star Citizen I have given up pretending to understand how people spend money on games.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Stability and FPS improvement patch today, they're claiming they also fixed hit detection

trip report: I still get a lot of stutter but I'm on a mid range laptop so that might be the culprit (Still run most AAA games on medium at least with no lag)

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 6, 2014

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Anyone still playing this? Myself and a few other goons were looking to get bludgeoned to death.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I was going to check earlier if the goon servers were still up or whatever, I haven't played for about a month but I was looking to get back into it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Goon server found here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670463

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Just started playing today, its pretty fun. Its like what I wanted wurm to be, just hope they bring in wurms freedom of building.

• Locked thread