Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, why did they do that? Does it promote becoming a Marine in some way I didn't understand? All I got out of it is that you will get some very specialized training, wait years to use it, and then lose your chance and never get another.

Also I seem to remember them talking about another Marine who had become so addicted to masturbation that they had to send him home. It seems like a VERY odd movie for the Marines to promote.

edit: I guess if you consider ALL of that to be merely subtext that most of the audience won't see...but that's just getting insane. If I walk up to someone and hit them with a baseball bat, can I argue that no one saw the baseball bat hit their head because it was just subtext?

They did it because their standard for assistance is accurate representation, not pushing a message*. If they only assist Top Gun style flicks that leads them into murky waters of censorship and a shitload of lawsuits because some film makers didn't get a subsidy, not to mention the issue of freedom of speech being a positive right or not.

*beyond the standard "you can't create art in this paradigm without accepting this paradigm", yes, I've seen Zizek's film, I have netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

They did it because their standard for assistance is accurate representation, not pushing a message*. If they only assist Top Gun style flicks that leads them into murky waters of censorship and a shitload of lawsuits because some film makers didn't get a subsidy, not to mention the issue of freedom of speech being a positive right or not.

*beyond the standard "you can't create art in this paradigm without accepting this paradigm", yes, I've seen Zizek's film, I have netflix.

The nadir of Military Approved films is surely http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starfighters

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

The nadir of Military Approved films is surely http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starfighters

Lockheed must have been pissed after Grumman's ad for the F-14 was a major blockbuster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Huh, I didn't think of it that way at all. I thought they were just another sponsor looking for a product placement, same as Coca-Cola or whatever, and would care how their product was portrayed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678296

Kept the OP, because I don't think I'll ever top that

• Locked thread