Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Domon thing was boring because it was basically nothing.

Nobody didn't get the reference that the master was Domon. The silhouette meant it was either Domon or a very thinly veiled Domon homage. Yet they save it for the very end of the show like it's a ~big surprise.~ If it had been veiled and the reveal at the very end had been that it was Domon that would have been legit surprising. Instead it's just "Oh. Yeah, that's Domon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you want to poke more fun at how lazy the writing in BFT was, here's a screencap of the main characters from Valkyria Chronicles 2 from the current LP going on;

I know, I know, character archetypes and all that, I just found it amusing. Especially as VC2 probably has the (relatively) better-written protagonist.

Now there is something I never thought I'd say about VC2.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There should have been more cameos like the Abigorbine in Try. Like a Guncannon painted to look like the Ideon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

There should have been more cameos like the Abigorbine in Try. Like a Guncannon painted to look like the Ideon.

Wizard GunTank was pretty awesome.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
My thoughts on Build Fighters TRY: It was completely whelming. It wasn't memorable enough compared to the first season, but it wasn't bad enough for me to completely drop it. The series is the definition of a basic show that serves as a glass of plain water in room temperature. The entertainment I got out from it was enough to keep me alive, but it was never exciting enough for me to actually care. I think I miss the plethora of cameos and callbacks from the first season the most, but they do get credit for mixing up the combat format (even if it was criminally underutilized in much of the season).

Even though this season's theme was TEAMWORK, I felt that the chemistry between Reiji and Sei was far superior than the entirety of the TRY Fighters team members. I guess it also doesn't help that I was getting kind of tired with the Gundam Kung Fu/Karate poo poo after the Build Knuckle being overused in the first season. Another issue I had was with the fight direction, as the first season had more fights that seemed to be a lot more intense and personal (due to the 1v1 format). The only fight that stood out to me in TRY was the three Ez-8SRs, which was a well-done fight (but way too short-lived). Definitely did not like the three-SD combiner into a lovely looking dragon and the Voltron ZZ mod.

I heard OVAs for BF TRY was in the works, so I guess the ride isn't quite over yet.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I liked it because in my heart I'm a goofy teenager who runs around like goku :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wizard GunTank was pretty awesome.

Guntank the Priest is an actual unit though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MonsieurChoc posted:

More derivative designs in general really, instead of scratch-built unique units. How did they make all those clear parts anyway?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You can buy sheets of clear plastic.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If anyone new to gunpla is lurking, I'll save you from reading hundreds of bad posts; BFTry was bad because it is generic, derivative shonen-flavored toy commercial, whereas BF was a creative, outlandish and well-paced toy commercial. A cerebral masterwork of brilliance next to Try's beyblade or medarot (I wish!).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

If anyone new to gunpla is lurking, I'll save you from reading hundreds of bad posts; BFTry was bad because it is generic, derivative shonen-flavored toy commercial, whereas BF was a creative, outlandish and well-paced toy commercial. A cerebral masterwork of brilliance next to Try's beyblade or medarot (I wish!).

If you're talking smack about Medabots we're about to have words, buddy :toughguy:.

Except the third season. We dont talk about the third season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ka0 posted:

This is some real salt here.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man it's fine if you liked the show, but that doesn't mean other people are wrong if they didn't.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

ImpAtom posted:

The Domon thing was boring because it was basically nothing.

Nobody didn't get the reference that the master was Domon. The silhouette meant it was either Domon or a very thinly veiled Domon homage. Yet they save it for the very end of the show like it's a ~big surprise.~ If it had been veiled and the reveal at the very end had been that it was Domon that would have been legit surprising. Instead it's just "Oh. Yeah, that's Domon."

I was really hoping that the big reveal with Jigen Hoah was that its actually suppose to be a Gunpla martial arts all along and that was the ultimate technique was learning that and shining finger.

Try was okay overall. Need more characters with love for gunpla rather then a love for the thrilling hunt for the glory of war battles. Too many min/max try hards that don't understand that Gunpla is fun and need some Meijin intervention.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're talking smack about Medabots we're about to have words, buddy :toughguy:.

Except the third season. We dont talk about the third season.
There was a third season? :stare: I thought the second season with that awful Kilobot / vehicle mode was downright awful, I can't imagine the third being even worse.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that was the third season afaik

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Season 2 was basically the tournament. Season 3 was the Medabot Spirit with 99% of the cast removed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2014/11/mg-girl-fumina-hoshino-gm-cardigan.html?m=1

Uh

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Was wondering how long it'd take.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
about negative 6 months

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

That build was done before HG Super Fumina was in the show though. Might be an inspiration actually.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Still waiting for AGE's TV thing to expire (as well as all the other necessary conditions) so Madoka Titus can finally show up

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So from what I understood of Meiji, you can have legal builds of real life people as long as you have their permission?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Tae posted:

So from what I understood of Meiji, you can have legal builds of real life people as long as you have their permission?

No reason not to at that point.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

P. sure that licensing is the only reason we haven't seen MG goku yet after all

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I missed the part of the episode where they actually showed Domon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's in the credits.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

P. sure that licensing is the only reason we haven't seen MG goku yet after all

Uh, about that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine