Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yilduz
Sep 17, 2014
I have a computer connected to my tv that I use to watch sports and occasional tv shows, but I always used a browser to watch sports and a basic video player to watch the shows. I recently decided I want to use XBMC, and while I'm at it I might as well put Steam on it. I figured there had to be a way to sort of integrate the two, and apparently there is. I've tried several times (I've wiped and reinstalled Ubuntu or XBMCbuntu about eight times today) and I cannot get it working, I just keep getting to a point where everything breaks and I have to start over. My most current attempt won't even launch Ubuntu anymore, it's just stuck at the splash screen.

Anyway... the primary method I've been trying is here: http://seaner992s-linux-tutorials.blogspot.com/2014/01/xbmcsteam-seamless-linux-tutorial.html
I've tried it with different versions of Ubuntu, and even tried mixing in advice from other sites. While this one gets me the farthest, I cannot get it working. I've managed to get XBMC to launch on startup and everything looks great. I even get Steam working (only independently) and can get the Steam icon into XBMC, but whenever I try to launch Steam from XBMC, it just says "working" in the lower right corner and then nothing happens. I cannot figure out why. I have to imagine in a community like this, there are plenty of people that have tried (and hopefully succeeded) in this task, and I'm sure most of those people have far more Linux experience than me (I'm running on only a few months). I looked back a few pages and didn't find anything, but I don't have the search ability, so decided to make a thread and hope that someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Doesn't steam already have in-home streaming ?

yilduz
Sep 17, 2014

Sylink posted:

Doesn't steam already have in-home streaming ?

Isn't that for playing a game on one device from another device? (not sure if it has other features)

My purpose for this is that I want XBMC to launch at startup, so I can use it to watch shows and put the add-ons for MLB and NHL gamecenter, etc... but then I also want to be able to launch Steam from it.

yilduz fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 2, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've done this with Windows but not XBMCBuntu since I wanted more game compatibility. I'll take a crack at it this weekend, shouldn't be difficult. In terms of why Steam isn't launching, I would tail your logs and see what's going on or look on the Steam forums. It sounds like you're 90% of the way there.

yilduz
Sep 17, 2014

The Gunslinger posted:

I've done this with Windows but not XBMCBuntu since I wanted more game compatibility. I'll take a crack at it this weekend, shouldn't be difficult. In terms of why Steam isn't launching, I would tail your logs and see what's going on or look on the Steam forums. It sounds like you're 90% of the way there.

That would be amazing. I've only been here a short while and I'm very amazed at how helpful this place is.
I'll keep trying until then. I also didn't think about looking in logs. I'll try and poke around in there.

Thank you.

• Locked thread