Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Remember, mass is proportional to the cube of length.
Which means that due to a genetic abnormality, I am forced to spend more money on food than anyone else. This is ridiculous and I demand that the government begin subsidizing us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Another complaint now that I've started going to the gym: many of the machines, while adjustable, are simply impossible/unhealthy to use.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gaj70 posted:

On the other hand, there is less of an immediate reward. I can loose 20 pounds and my clothes still fit normally.

Huh? How is that not awesome? I'm 6'5'', I went from 240 to 195 pounds and now I have to buy a whole new wardrobe. It loving sucks because I can't afford it, especially not the nice clothing. For nice occasions, I have a choice between a fancy baggy suit or a button-up shirt and tie. I'll have to save up to get a new suit that fits before my friend's wedding next year.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Chamale posted:

Huh? How is that not awesome? I'm 6'5'', I went from 240 to 195 pounds and now I have to buy a whole new wardrobe. It loving sucks because I can't afford it, especially not the nice clothing. For nice occasions, I have a choice between a fancy baggy suit or a button-up shirt and tie. I'll have to save up to get a new suit that fits before my friend's wedding next year.

But you're a sexy beast now. I loose 20 pounds and still look like a fat neck beard :negative:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

gaj70 posted:

But you're a sexy beast now. I loose 20 pounds and still look like a fat neck beard :negative:

Yeah, but it works on the way up too. I'm 6'5-6'6 tall and everyone always underestimates my weight because me at 220 looks pretty well like me at 240. But yeah, noticeable weight loss probably starts at 30lbs or so. Some issues raised in the thread in summary:

- Free/preferential wing seating: Happens to me all the time, especially if someone has to get pulled out because they don't understand english well enough (this is a requirement for the emergency instructions apparently)

- Asia: It's changing but yeah, they really notice if you're tall there. I had a guy seriously offer to pretend I was distantly related to him so he could get me into the PBA (Philippine Basketball Association). Wouldn't work though; they play the short game so hard you'd just get outworked. They love basketball there it's crazy.

- Short people: I've gotten really really good about not stepping on them/crushing them like Smurfs underfoot but it takes a constant conscious/subconscious awareness. I'm sure that there are other subconscious processes that I've sacrificed to be able to do this, like knowing if my fly is open or if I'm drooling or some other thing short people take for granted.

Tall people questions:
- Is your heart in a weird place? When I was younger I had a really bad bronchitis, so bad they had me in for Xrays to check for something physically wrong. At that point I noticed my heart is actually low, like around the solar plexus, and centred, not left/right. The doctor theorized that my circulatory system grew at a different rate then the rest of me.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Super tall people: do you ever get weird reactions from regular tall people? I'm 6'3" and am so used to towering over a room that I get weirded out when someone can see eye to eye with me. People taller than me flat out scare me.
I'm 6'3" and also have the same problem. I find people who are taller than I am to be really disconcerting, especially when they're broader than I am (though that's pretty easy because I am a stringbean at 165lbs).

On the other hand, hugging fellow tall people is awesome, because you can rest your chins on each others' shoulders and it's just really :3:

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 31, 2014

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
This is another tall observation that might be Australian specific but I noticed people in rural areas here are a fair bit taller than city folk. Is this A Thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

This is another tall observation that might be Australian specific but I noticed people in rural areas here are a fair bit taller than city folk. Is this A Thing?

You must hang out with the wrong city folk. I live in Sydney and don't think I've that many male friends under 6ft.

• Locked thread