Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Make sure to chuck it in the OP too. We'll all see you there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

berryjon posted:

Once I get the next thread up, I'll post the link here for those who want to follow me into the next game.
I honestly can't wait: I played Cataclysm more times than I did the original Homeworld and I'm looking forward to the comments for a few events that happen by those that don't know about them yet.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Loved Cataclysm, though more for the gameplay than I did HW's story. Still, both are great games but for different reasons.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thanks for the LP, I'll see you in the Cataclysm thread! :)

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
Great LP really nicely done

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Great LP! By the way I urge anyone to go and look up some random gameplay videos of Homeworld on Youtube so you can see the ship trails in their actual beauty. The software renderer doesn't really do them justice.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Matye just keep Cataclysm/HW2 here in this thread? It seems the easier way. Unless you are going to take a couple of months before starting the other games. You can ask a mod to change the name of the thread to signal the start of the Cata LP.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
One tiny request for the Cata LP: can you look into improving your recording quality? I get it if you can only run the game at 640x480 or whatever, but if you could improve the bit rate of the final encode, that'd be appreciated.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

FredMSloniker posted:

One tiny request for the Cata LP: can you look into improving your recording quality? I get it if you can only run the game at 640x480 or whatever, but if you could improve the bit rate of the final encode, that'd be appreciated.

That's one of the things I'm fixing up already. The new-and-improved setup is *much* better on my end.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Stellar job, berryjon! Can't wait for Cataclysm.

Yesterday, the server that holds all of our classic rock at work (I do radio stuff) needed an update, and had to be taken offline, resulting in about a ten-minute gap where we had to go back to playing songs from CD's. In the racks, I found--quite by accident--The Ladder by Yes, so naturally that little bastard went right into the player.

I was looking at the case art while rocking out to "The Ladder" and realized that I'd completely forgotten the little nods to the game on the cover--I can't grab a photo of it at the moment, but there are little Homeworld clan insignias on the spine. The disc also has a demo for the game on it :toot:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

There's also a unit viewer and some mini-documentaries on the CD, it's fun stuff.

Videogames heavily influence the music I listen to, so it was no surprise that I instantly fell in love with Yes. The only Yes song I was familiar with was Owner of a Lonely Heart, after finishing this game and hearing that end credits song, I immediately bought The Ladder CD and the vinyl record. I became a Yes fan because of this game. It also helps that their album artwork is also done by one of my favorite artists of all time, Roger Dean, and that I love progressive rock in general.

Seeing the Kiith clan logos on my Ladder CD makes me unreasonably happy. Do you think they wrote that song just for the game?

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 31, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They did.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Have they for sure said its still going to be in the remake?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

anilEhilated posted:

Fitting with the whole Hiigara/hijrah or Exodus theme.

:aaaaa:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Crash74 posted:

Have they for sure said its still going to be in the remake?

There hasn't been a single mention of the soundtrack in the remake so far, which either means it's not as high a priority as they are just planning on re-using assets, or they are redoing it entirely.

Or they could be getting Yes to re-record the entire track and use that as a surprise?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

Or they could be getting Yes to re-record the entire track and use that as a surprise?

I've wondered, is hiring an orchestra for game soundtracks as incredibly expensive as it is for movie soundtracks?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Chuu posted:

I've wondered, is hiring an orchestra for game soundtracks as incredibly expensive as it is for movie soundtracks?

The expense comes from time, size, and skill. LSO and LAP are what films go to when they need THE sound. Larger publishers tend to contract smaller European orchestras, and small developers tend to do everything either in house or piecemeal.

There really isn't a "group" lump rate, every musician you use (or hire and don't use) costs X amount of money for Y number of hours/days, not to mention the conductor, the sound studio, recording equipment rental, and assisting sound techs.

Then you send your recorded material back to the office and OH HEY THE BIG BOSS SAYS IT'S poo poo GO BACK and we need about 20 minutes more music for this section we're padding out. Now you're fighting in line with other entertainment reps, as well as the orchestra's own music venues, to use the orchestra and sound studio again. Short notice exasperates the costs.

However these days orchestra soundtracks are much better managed and organized, giving composers enough time and leeway to get everything in and have time for additions and changes. When it's done right it's a fair price for a good gain. When mismanaged it's a drain on resources.

minalkra
May 16, 2010
Wonderful job in the LP. And you are very right, I came to watch the game because I knew exactly what it was and what was going to happen.

I always played Taiidan (toaster FTW) because of the aesthetic. To me, the Kushan fleets were too smooth and sleek. They seemed far too refined for a rag-tag group of exiles struggling to make it home. The blocky, Taiidan fleets always seemed more cobbled together from whatever information they could pick out of the wreckage of the Kushan fleets they left behind - learning by observation and imitation rather than having some grand ability in developing the technology independently. It was always more 'realistic' to me that the fleets would be so similar in function since the Kushan (for my game anyway) were the ones really standing between the Exiles and Hiigara and the chucky, industrial aesthetic the Taiidan had just really spoke to that sort of banged-together from wreckage feel.

As to the Emperor, I think I remember something about psychic something-or-other from a design document that was released a while back but I have five old design PDF's I got from one of the Homeworld fansites and I'm not going to go digging for it - chalk it up to the Empire having such great EM technology (the manual for the defense frigate states it was experimentation into EM effects and it's the Taiidan-only frigate so there ya go.)

Also, the essential retcon of the meaning of Unbound Ones, Sajuuk and the leaning on the Progenitors in HW2 as well as the Hyperdrive made-vs-unique thing that was definitely changed between HW and HW2 was what really made me very uninspired to play the entire HW2 game. It gave it a way-too-mystical feel that clashed with the natural mysticism that was in the original and I can't wait to see HW2 LP'd be someone as good at the game as you are.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But the Taiidan ships are the sleek, vicious, insectoid-looking ones covered in unnecessary embellishments like fins, tiger-striped yellow and red. The Kushan ships are essentially boxes with the corners rounded off.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chuu posted:

Some games that sound like they have orchestra music actually use composition software. Wonderful 101, for example.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Dabir posted:

But the Taiidan ships are the sleek, vicious, insectoid-looking ones covered in unnecessary embellishments like fins, tiger-striped yellow and red. The Kushan ships are essentially boxes with the corners rounded off.

I'm with minalkra on this one, too. The Kushan ships look like someone spent time making them smooth and rounded. The Taiidan look like "we needed a fin here, so we just put it there, looks be damned".

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

wiegieman posted:

Some games that sound like they have orchestra music actually use composition software. Wonderful 101, for example.

I was just about to mention this. e: f,b indeed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

ZeeToo posted:

I'm with minalkra on this one, too. The Kushan ships look like someone spent time making them smooth and rounded. The Taiidan look like "we needed a fin here, so we just put it there, looks be damned".

I'd disagree.

Kushan:

Taiidan:

The Kushan ship looks improvised, it looks like what a people without a military tradition would make, since it's completely unconcerned with aesthetics and looks blocky, relatively unappealing and as though it was made by physicists who dispensed with fins and flanges because they just made what would work(fins and flanges having no real purpose in a situation where you don't need mobile, flappy bits for maneuvering).

The Taiidan ship, on the other hand, looks like something made by a people with a military tradition, who want their military to look sleek, imposing and dangerous. A people with their pride invested in their military, and decades or centuries of space-based warfare behind them. They look a lot more like something you'd get out of Wing Commander or Freespace, while the Kushan ships look like they were designed by hard sci-fi authors.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I dunno, I've always seen the Kushan as being very utilitarian, no thought given to aesthetics, while the Taiidan were built with a deliberate flair for intimidation. This probably shines across in the strike craft set more than anywhere else.

Ha, already better said/shown

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd disagree.

Kushan:

Taiidan:

The Kushan ship looks improvised, it looks like what a people without a military tradition would make, since it's completely unconcerned with aesthetics and looks blocky, relatively unappealing and as though it was made by physicists who dispensed with fins and flanges because they just made what would work(fins and flanges having no real purpose in a situation where you don't need mobile, flappy bits for maneuvering).

The Taiidan ship, on the other hand, looks like something made by a people with a military tradition, who want their military to look sleek, imposing and dangerous. A people with their pride invested in their military, and decades or centuries of space-based warfare behind them. They look a lot more like something you'd get out of Wing Commander or Freespace, while the Kushan ships look like they were designed by hard sci-fi authors.

Interesting aside from the printed guide, the Taiidan scout is shown as an early prototype of the Kushan during construction of the MS.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 1, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I think the Assault Frigate and the Destroyer would be better examples in design differences.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Its the exact opposite for me. The Kushan look militarily imposing, lacking life and vibrancy, while the Taiidan added in bits of their cultural heritage and geekiness- they were thrust into the war and thus not used to making things as practical as possible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
All I know is that the Taiidan color scheme looks absolutely ridiculous.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

All I know is that the Taiidan color scheme looks absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah, kinda hard to take them seriously with the clownmouflage they got going. One of the reasons why I usually play as the Taiidan with a more reasonable visuals.
edit: Another reason would be that this game simply doesn't have a satisfyingly toxic shade of pink, the color my fleets fly whenever given the choice.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 1, 2015

minalkra
May 16, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd disagree.

And, well, I disagree. The Kushan design seems like a sleek, aquatic killer with specific traits that are more traditional than useful (the off-set fighter craft cockpit the most striking example) while the Taiidan ship - despite the 'waspiness' of it - really seems rugged and industrial. A design of 'what works now.' Also, the fins on the ships says 'we don't know what's going to happen so let's make sure they're slightly atmosphere-capable' while the Kushan is all about the emptiness of space and the lack of anything to act on. Though the capital ships have spikes and such on them, the corvettes and fighters both have what appear to be atmosphere fins on them. Makes it seem like the Taiidan were designing for unknowns rather than knowing what their ships were intended for and the fact that little planet-based combat would be seen by any world.

But that's just me, really. I suppose it's all mostly-moot and a matter of looks (fish vs. insects). I also liked using the defense frigate. Bang-bang-thunk-thunk. Screw those fighters though.

The Protagonist posted:

Interesting aside from the printed guide, the Taiidan scout is shown as an early prototype of the Kushan during construction of the MS.

The HW manual was printed prior to the 'official' fleet being selected. Fleet 1 and Fleet 2 where both the exile fleet, depending on the game you played. It was only when they started setting up for Cataclysm (I think) that one fleet was selected over the other as the official one. You know, in case you didn't know which you probably did but I found interesting enough to mention.

As an aside, I looked through the five PDFs and they're all about the game design of HW2 and none of them mention a psychic emperor - I have no idea where I read that, must have been fansite speculation.

EDIT: And I'll stop being a spergy nerd and stalking the thread now to let others post.

minalkra fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

This LP won't pretend to be Righteous. Let's Play Homeworld:Cataclysm.

• Locked thread