Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Problem description: Starting a few days ago, I noticed that upon waking up the desktop from sleep, the DVD drive is nowhere to be seen. Checking in My Computer or the device manager shows that there is no DVD/CD drive, but the actual device itself still works (it can still open with the push of a button and all that), but putting a disc in the drive does nothing. The only way I've found to fix this issue is to restart the machine. For some reason, doing a restart will bring back the DVD drive and it will work fine, as far as I can tell, until the desktop has to go back to sleep, of course.

Attempted fixes: I've attempted solutions 1 and 2 from this page as well as uninstalling the drivers and letting windows reinstall them.

Recent changes:
The only thing I've done recently that has been different was clean my computer about a week or two ago.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit

System specs:
i5-4570
Asrock B85M Pro4 mobo
GTX 660ti
8gb of RAM
XFX 650W PSU
Samsung 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Other information:
I've had this DVD drive since 2008, could it be that it's just getting too old?

woops, forgot to change the tag. :(

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
So the drive didn't use to do this? I expect it to be using one of the Microsoft drivers for the drive, but would be good to confirm in the device manager. The only other idea that comes to mind is possibly some cd/dvd based drm driver from a game maker that would likely be a filter driver on the drive could be messing up.

I haven't heard of a drive hardware failure like this, but suppose it might be possible. Drives are cheap these days so you should be able to pick up a cheap replacement if you can spare a little bit of money to test

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zarc posted:

So the drive didn't use to do this? I expect it to be using one of the Microsoft drivers for the drive, but would be good to confirm in the device manager. The only other idea that comes to mind is possibly some cd/dvd based drm driver from a game maker that would likely be a filter driver on the drive could be messing up.

I haven't heard of a drive hardware failure like this, but suppose it might be possible. Drives are cheap these days so you should be able to pick up a cheap replacement if you can spare a little bit of money to test

Did not do this until recently. According to the device manager for the DVD/CD listing, it is the latest driver. That's a weird drm driver that would only affect something upon waking up from sleep mode. :(

I'm thinking of just buying a cheap 20 dollar samsung DVD drive or maybe replacing the SATA cable but I really doubt that has to do with the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
A drm driver having issues waking from sleep mode would not be weird at all really. A large portion of 3rd party drivers do not handle sleep/hibernate correctly. DRM drivers have a long history of being poorly written (sony rootkit fiasco, ubisoft drm drivers). If it still doesn't work after a different drive, that would really support another driver in the stack is causing a problem.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do also make sure you have the latest Intel Chipset INF and Rapid Storage Technology drivers from the Intel website installed, as these control sleeping and waking of your SATA devices.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

Do also make sure you have the latest Intel Chipset INF and Rapid Storage Technology drivers from the Intel website installed, as these control sleeping and waking of your SATA devices.

Thanks for the reply!

Which of these two pages are the correct ones to download the intel chipset INF from? This or this?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Ryuga Death posted:

Thanks for the reply!

Which of these two pages are the correct ones to download the intel chipset INF from? This or this?
The first link is the download itself, the second is a list of all available downloads for all operating systems. You would filter by your operating system and download the latest drivers, which is where your first link goes. Here's the download link for the Rapid Storage Technology drivers, you want SetupRST.exe, the F6 floppies are for use when installing Windows.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I installed both and thought it took care of the problem but this morning, the drive disappeared once again after waking up. :(

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Check the power/data connections for the drive on both ends and you could try switching (or at least reseating) the SATA cable as well. Try another SATA port too if possible.

Also, it's probably not an issue but it wouldn't hurt to change the DVD drive letter in disk management to see if that had any effect either.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

Check the power/data connections for the drive on both ends and you could try switching (or at least reseating) the SATA cable as well. Try another SATA port too if possible.

Also, it's probably not an issue but it wouldn't hurt to change the DVD drive letter in disk management to see if that had any effect either.

I'll try changing the DVD drive letter first since that's easier. I assume it doesn't matter what letter?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

I'll try changing the DVD drive letter first since that's easier. I assume it doesn't matter what letter?

Yea, just change it to Q or Z or Y or some other far off letter.

Also, just to be clear reseat the power cable as well (if you get to that stage).

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

Yea, just change it to Q or Z or Y or some other far off letter.

Also, just to be clear reseat the power cable as well (if you get to that stage).

This is probably going to jinx it, but after changing my DVD drive letter from E to A, I haven't run into the problem again after a few days. Still worried it's going to rear its ugly head again. To be clear, all I've done was change the drive letter, nothing else. If this proves to be the actual solution, all I have to ask is how did you know and why did this fix it?

Also, preemptive thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

If this proves to be the actual solution, all I have to ask is how did you know and why did this fix it?

Years of IT tinkering and experimenting. Reseating cables/power connections and also changing the drive letter have helped with disappearing drives in the past.

Sometimes the fix was permanent and other times it was temporary. Don't be shocked if that doesn't fix it permanently.

As to why this might've fixed it it could've been some odd OS hangup or issue and changing the drive reset something in the eyes of the OS itself. But that's just my best guess. Viruses and damaged OSs can make drives disappear as well.

• Locked thread