Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 259 days!)

I totally owned both a WinPhone and IOSPhone user by doing my lazy finger swipe thing and astounding their tiny minds.

I have no social media outlets, so its kinda lost on me but i can really kick home the comments via Messenging, lemme tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Don Tacorleone posted:

They want to keep supporting loving DOS 6.2 apps from the 90's instead of doing like Apple and going "gently caress you all, this is the new poo poo and we don't care if it breaks your old rear end .bat files"

That code is from the latest version of java, not an old version.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Torka posted:

windows 10 looks pretty good and I look forward to using it

Actually it looks hilariously bad

The only thing they could do with their poo poo rear end metro interface was to put it in the worst place possible inside the start menu

It looks loving awful

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Viggen posted:

I totally owned both a WinPhone and IOSPhone user by doing my lazy finger swipe thing and astounding their tiny minds.

I have no social media outlets, so its kinda lost on me but i can really kick home the comments via Messenging, lemme tell ya.

Why don't you finger swipe this finger into your rear end

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

theyre actually really good

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Don Tacorleone posted:

Why don't you finger swipe this finger into your rear end

wouldn't want to dislodge you (again)

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I love that GBS now has threads that are YOSPOS, E/N, and QCS threads but all the other forum people love them because you can post how ya like in GBS

GBS rules

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

THS posted:

theyre actually really good

good at being bad

how's that app ecosystem

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Any technology that MS ties to windows 10 only is going to be utterly stillborn. If DX12 doesn't come to windows 7, that will be the official end of Direct3D.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

Actually it looks hilariously bad

The only thing they could do with their poo poo rear end metro interface was to put it in the worst place possible inside the start menu

It looks loving awful

nah

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Prettz posted:

Any technology that MS ties to windows 10 only is going to be utterly stillborn. If DX12 doesn't come to windows 7, that will be the official end of Direct3D.

OpenGL and Lua technologies will take over the rest of the people who don't just buy a dumbox and play games on it! We shall truly have the same exact freedom we had in 1993 (only with more ram).

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

FordPRefectLL posted:

good at being bad

how's that app ecosystem

a failure of development that doesnt reflect on the operating system

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Allright you've convinced me, I was wrong

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Viggen posted:

OpenGL and Lua technologies will take over the rest of the people who don't just buy a dumbox and play games on it! We shall truly have the same exact freedom we had in 1993 (only with more ram).
as totally awful as OpenGL is, it is still within microsoft's power to completely kill off d3d

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

THS posted:

a failure of development that doesnt reflect on the operating system

That surely worked for BeOS and AmigaDOS. Sign me up!

Prettz posted:

as totally awful as OpenGL is, it is still within microsoft's power to completely kill off d3d

We still need Win32s, though. Eventually wine can run that freecell program!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

windows owns and windows 10 is gonna own

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

Allright you've convinced me, I was wrong

it's cool I'm glad we had this discussion

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

THS posted:

windows 10 is gonna own

Why

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

one api, one magic

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

api more like gaypi

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Blistex posted:

Would you like to share your user data with Microsoft?

[] Yes: I would like to send my user data to Microsoft.
[] No: I would like to be added to an NSA watchlist.

lmbo :roflolmao:

It's like they have a division entirely dedicated to driving away customers.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I use Windows 8.1 and i like it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Prettz posted:

they are currently building a completely new, modern graphics API to replace OpenGL that will probably appear before Windows 10 and run on older versions of Windows in addition to other platforms, so there may not be any reason to use DX12 outside of their failing Xbone platform and apps for the stillborn winphone.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Personally, I am sticking with Windows 7 until I need to swap, mainly because most of the programs I use for work won't run on Windows 8 due to some issues with the .net framework. I figure, by the time the swap is necessary, the company that makes the software will update the program enough to work on the newer version.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

SublimeDelusions posted:

Personally, I am sticking with Windows 7 until I need to swap, mainly because most of the programs I use for work won't run on Windows 8 due to some issues with the .net framework. I figure, by the time the swap is necessary, the company that makes the software will update the program enough to work on the newer version.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

There is still stuff that runs on mission critical servers that REQUIRE a certain custom version of IE6 and a custom version of Java. Companies are cheap asses when it comes to upgrading.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my dad works at an offsite office for JPL and they are basically just rolling out windows 7 there and won't be done until like late 2015

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

orangesampson posted:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

There is still stuff that runs on mission critical servers that REQUIRE a certain custom version of IE6 and a custom version of Java. Companies are cheap asses when it comes to upgrading.

The program was originally built in xp, I think, and basically when installed in Windows 8 it seems that Windows refuses to recognize the .net framework on it at all and says that it is impossible to run or use before automatically closing it. In order to get it to function, you have to go through a lot of editing and, for a lack of better terms, "tricking" Windows 8 into realizing that the .net framework can be backwards compatible. Sadly, even that entire process is spotty. The company that produces the software knows it is an issue, and they released a patch for it, which didn't work on about 50% of the systems it was used on, hence why they discussed the editing fix. I have a stable version of the software on Windows 7 and I really don't have the time to constantly follow every up and down with trying to make it work while trying to get the research I am working on done. I get the feeling that the software producer will just release a completely new version instead of another revision of the current program, or the issue with the framework was just an early bug in Windows 8 (although, this was the only program I had heard of having that issue). Regardless, the IT won't actually give enough of a drat to figure it out, so their fix is "it works in 7? Then you will have to run 7, we really don't care enough to make it work on 8, and it will save us cash on not having to upgrade to 8". Which, is fine for the university as a whole, but for the students having to run it on their own computers, which all seem to come with 8, it is a bit more of an issue.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I use windows, and when a new version comes out everyone enthusiastically upgrades except for people with old hardware, or weirdos.

Compare that to mac users. They're so dysfunctional that a good majority of them declare they won't upgrade because the company that makes their OS is astoundingly terrible.

oh wait did I get those two reversed sorry lol I do that sometimes

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I use a Knoppix liveCD exclusively

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

FordPRefectLL posted:

my dad works at an offsite office for JPL and they are basically just rolling out windows 7 there and won't be done until like late 2015

I've supported people running server 2000 as recently as a week ago. can't wait till that poo poo breaks and i can tell em deal with it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

orangesampson posted:

Any chance of getting the build number? Is it still 6.xxxx.xx? Or is windows 10's build number 7?

6.4.xxxx

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Blistex posted:

Would you like to share your user data with Microsoft?

[] Yes: I would like to send my user data to Microsoft.
[] No: I would like to be added to an NSA watchlist.

you're probably on an NSA watchlist already tbqh

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/privacy/325273-the-nsa-thinks-you-are-an-extremist-if-you-care-about-privacy

NSA trigger words: "privacy"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rexim posted:

I use windows

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Serious thought:

Data security policies of all major companies would probably categorise this amount of "analysis" of sensitive or basically any files under ownership of the company as a violation of security.

Even Microsoft themselves would probably throw a hissy fit if anyone did that to their corporate files.

So how is this OS ever going to sell to corporate customers?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Hopper posted:

So how is this OS ever going to sell to corporate customers?

because tech media will throw in a handy assist via "EVERY OTHER WINDOWS IS THE GOOD ONE TIME TO UPGRADE!!!!" that will be swallowed hook/line/sinker

also because lol, what else are they gonna do, get a linux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

purchase the privacy upgrade

• Locked thread